Glitchbreaks is an iOS Universal manipulation tool for “Glitching” breakbeats. Manipulate beats to create new beats and record them.
● "Glitchbreaks is a sick sample loop glitching app with a groovy interface and nice instant touch control of real time audio. It's capable of seriously twisting sounds out, is one of the most modern audio apps I've seen yet and Ninjas will love it" -Ninja Tune Records
● GlitchBreaks is an addictively fun and very useful app that will appeal to electronic musicians in a variety of settings. it’s a serious tool for manipulating audio loops. - iosmusicandyou.com
● I've spent many hours playing with Glitch Breaks, cutting, and modulating my way to pure glitch bliss. It's unmistakable high quality, effortless interface makes it easy to forget the world outside and go full tilt boogie to your hearts content. -smitematter.com
Glitchbreaks uses four audio channels setup like mute groups. You can quickly switch between them to construct new beats, or manipulate loop points to “Cut” or “Glitch” the breaks.
Glitchbreaks can be used as a performance tool to juggle breaksbeats or destroy sounds at a granular level. You can make interesting effect-like-sounds by manipulating pitch, loop start, length, and cutting the beats with fluid responsive controls.
You can record your performance and bring it into iTunes through file sharing, or copy it out into another iOS application via Audio Copy and Paste. You pre determine the length of your recording by bars to easily make pieces to bring into a song without the need for further sample editing.
Auto-BPM detection will detect the tempo of a sample you copy into Glitchbreaks (you just need to specify the bars between 1-4). You can turn this feature off in order to manipulate audio that doesn’t have tempo, this is especially useful for manipulating voice samples.
Glitchbreaks contains a 4 channel mixer to adjust the levels of each sample, as you change the levels the sounds are combined into the mix, on the iPad version this is displayed graphically with a rendered waveform that is combined to give you an indication of what the entire sound looks like.
All of this is very easy to operate and even a beginner will be glitching and juggling breaks like a pro in minutes.
● 130 high quality factory beat loops
● Audiobus Support: Now you can stream live audio from Glitchbreaks directly to other Audiobus-compatible apps.
● Audio Copy and Paste and General Pasteboard support
● Full MIDI support, Virtual MIDI, MIDI Clock Sync In and Out, MIDI Learn
● 4 continuous looping channels with 4 channel mixer
● Dynamic Effects
● Auto-BPM detection / with on/off setting
● Set the BPM up to 2.9 times the original sample BPM
● Touchable Waveform Display with accurate position indicator
● Large Waveform view for iPad
● XY-Pad Loop Modulation (Loop Length, Loop Start)
● Cut Editor / Sequencer with 4 user save slots
● XY-Pads for selecting 4 Glitch or Cut styles
● Index Tracking keeps the beat on time
● Retrigger pads with quantize
● Pitch Shift
● Pitch Reset
● Independent time settings Whole, Half, Quarter
● Quantize for Cut and Glitch operations
● Recording to 44.1khz 16bit Wav files
● Set custom record length in bars
● Background Audio supports mixing with other apps
● iTunes File Sharing
● Mixer view with volume faders per channel.
● Master volume
● Universal app
● Supports the New iPad retina display / iPhone retina display
● Load sounds while playing without hitting stop
● Preset Loading and Saving
● Background Audio Tracks
● Snap to Index
System Requirements and Recommendations
Glitchbreaks requires iOS 8.1 or higher
It is recoomended to run Glitchbreaks on : iPad/iPhone4/iPod Touch 4th Gen higher.
Now can receive transport start and stop even if you are not receiving MIDI Clock
Fixed a bug where Cut offsets were not being saved or applied correctly.
Fixed a bug with MIDI Clock Receive that could cause a crash.
Ratings and Reviews
Great glitches, no transport control
Really love this app and how quickly you can get a great break going. However, since it doesn’t receive transport controls, like start/stop, it’s really tough to fit it into my workflow. Would be great if it would start at the same time as Audiobus or whatever is hosting it, like AUM/BM3/Cubasis/etc.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for the review, and I am happy to add that I am adding the ability to receive transport controls. It will be available soon in an update.
Beat Glitching made easy(ish)
It's extremely fluid and absolutely amazing for anyone who enjoys cutting some insane breaks. I'm in love with the quantization divisions seemingly going endlessly into infinity. A few small problems. Glitchbreaks crashes a lot. About 95 percent of the time when importing via audio copy paste it crashes. Also when switching rapidly between editing the loop modulation and the glitch pads, the playback stops until I select a new cut. Not a major issue, I just have to be aware not to do that.
I am hoping for some effects with the same fluidity I'm finding in the glitch pad. Maybe decimate/lo-fi, distortion/overdrive, HP/LP... Basic effects with a smooth and generally awesome interface like what we have so far in glitchbreaks.
Between Beatshuffler, loopTwister, glitchBreaks, chippad (and a few other obscure apps), glitchBreaks has the best implementation of this general concept (beatslicing/beatdestroying/ect). Glitchbreaks has the best import and export of audio clips, as long as the clips are the specified length otherwise longer clips will create major stuttering issues. Between looptwister and glitchbreaks I'm having loads of fun destroying beats. I highly recommend it.
Awesome but Crashes
*Update: After spending some time with it I found that you def should clear your apps and restart your device before using or you could run out of memory. I use on iPad2 and iPhone 4 and it runs ok if not for the occasional hiccup like where it seems if I'm switching beats too frantically and/or messing with the time and tempo loud static noise sometimes plays. It's really easy to load samples in and copy/paste in/out. It's sweet that you can record a beat and then resample it by loading it onto a pad. If you're into glitch music this is a must have. *First impressions: I've only been using the app for about 30 minutes and it's crashed at least 8 times (restarted the iPad2 and cleared out the running apps before loading for first time).
That being said, I love this! Im just messing around and have come up with some sweet glitchy madness. I'll update this review after I've spent some more time with it.
- Alexander Matheu
- 66.4 MB
- Requires iOS 8.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2012 Alex Matheu
- In-App Purchases
- BreakLoops Volume 1 $1.99
- BreakLoops Volume 2 $1.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.