Globe Player - Shakespeare On Demand
By Shakespeare's Globe
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Watch Shakespeare on demand with Globe Player.
Our newly released app lets you:
- Rent or buy over 50 filmed stage productions from Shakespeare's Globe to watch on your iOS mobile or tablet.
- Buy and download films to your device and watch on the move.
- Rent and stream online, whenever you want, for 7 days.
- Watch productions performed as part of our 2012 Globe to Globe Festival in various languages.
How can we make this app more awesome?! Let us know, or if you are experiencing any issues at all, then please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What's New in Version 1.2.1
- Fixed a bug where multiple instances of the same play were showing up in the Library.
- Fixed an issue where the ‘Remove Download’ button did not result in the download being removed.
- Added a new reminder message when an internet connection is required.
Lackluster App with some good plays
The plays themselves are, for the most part, rather good. I am rather annoyed, however, that the languages of the plays aren’t marked clearly. I purchased “Troilus and Cressida” only to find out afterwards that it is performed in Maori not English which means I can’t understand a word the characters are saying. Should have been marked better.
Aside from the language issue on certain plays (I haven’t yet faced another play with this problem, but there are likely others), the app itself is not very good. Once you purchase a play, you have the ability to download it to any device for, I believe, 30 days. After that, you need to purchase the play again if you want to download it. In order to watch the play, you must download it, you can’t watch it online like you can with iTunes movies or any other service. On the bright side for this, it does mean you can download it to computer or storage unit and have it forever.
The App also doesn’t work at all without internet. I mentioned previously you must download the video to watch it. If you are on your phone or iPad, you still need internet to open the app which means if you are traveling with an iPad without cellular, you do not have access to the plays despite them being stored on your device.
I hate this app, but the plays themselves are rather good. I particularly enjoy the production of 1 Henry IV and this is the only place you can get a copy of it.
Won't download plays
It didn't download to my library two plays I ordered. User support is apparently nonexistent.
- Category: Entertainment
- Updated: Jun 29, 2016
- Version: 1.2.1
- Size: 23.9 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: The Shakespeare Globe Trust
- © The Shakespeare Globe Trust, London
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Julius Caesar$6.99
- Twelfth Night$12.99
- A Midsummer Night's Dream$12.99
- The Tempest$12.99
- Julius Caesar$12.99
- Romeo and Juliet$12.99
- The Merchant of Venice$6.99