Gmail - email by Google: secure, fast & organized
By Google, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The official Gmail app brings the best of Gmail to your iPhone or iPad with real-time notifications, multiple account support and search that works across all your mail.
With the Gmail app, you can:
• Undo Send, to prevent embarrassing mistakes
• Switch between multiple accounts
• Get notified of new mail fast, with notification center, badge and lock screen options
• Search your mail faster with instant results, predictions as you type & spelling suggestions
• Swipe to archive/delete, to quickly clear out your inbox
• Read your mail with threaded conversations
• Auto-complete contact names as you type from your Google contacts or your phone
• Respond to Google Calendar invites right from the app
• Organize your mail by archiving, labeling, starring, deleting and reporting spam
• Send and receive attachments
• See profile pictures as part of the conversation
What's New in Version 5.0.170618
• Bug fixes and performance improvements.
The little envelope is open when you haven't read the email and closed when you have, which doesn't make any sense and the social and promotion tab notifications are in the area where only individual primary emails should be (and there's no setting option to make the tabs go away, they only go away after you look at the new emails in the other tabs). It was much better with the notification number on the tabs, take the notifications out of the primary email spot! They don't show the important email indicators anymore and when you select multiple emails they don't show which ones are selected on the right anymore. But what really irritates me is they automatically download emails so you can look at them without internet taking up space on my device. There REALLY needs to be a setting for that so I can turn it off!
Essential features missing
First and foremost, no printing of emails. I have to use the web interface to do it. Why have an app if I have to go to the web for essential functions? Second, why haven't you implemented a feature to customize actions on an email based on which way I swipe? For example, swipe right=mark as read or un-read toggle. Swipe left=delete. Microsoft's Outlook OWA has this. Saves a ton of time.
When this app came out I stayed with the original gmail app for quite some time because it had a lot more functionality (like printing and connecting with other apps). Now you've started removing features. I'm now removing this app until you put back the essential features. The interface is nice and all, but seriously on the glaring lack of base functionality?
Horrible for business email! Everyday things I CAN'T do:
Can't sort ALL email by category (name/date/subject); Can't flag messages to notify if it was read; Can't turn off Conversation View on mobile (hello?? We ALL use mobile and there have been complaints for YEARS about this issue) which makes replying/forwarding VERY tricky if you don't want every part of the string to be included; the order that an email string appears is confusing (not oldest to newest). The list goes on but these are basic tools many people use every day but gmail simply can't do it. Google seems more concerned about the "cool look" and interfacing bells and whistles but overlooked some very basic email tools. Kind of like a cool new phone that failed to include the "hot features" of voice mail or speakerphone.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Jul 06, 2017
- Version: 5.0.170618
- Size: 231 MB
- Languages: English, Afrikaans, Arabic, Basque, Bengali, Bulgarian, Catalan, Chinese (Hong Kong), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, Galician, German, Greek, Gujarati, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Kannada, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malay, Malayalam, Marathi, Norwegian, Norwegian Bokmål, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Urdu, Vietnamese, Zulu
- Seller: Google, Inc.
- © 2017 Google Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.