Gmail - email by Google: secure, fast & organized
By Google, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The official Gmail app brings the best of Gmail to your iPhone or iPad with real-time notifications, multiple account support and search that works across all your mail.
With the Gmail app, you can:
- Undo Send, to prevent embarrassing mistakes
- Switch between multiple accounts
- Get notified of new mail fast, with notification center, badge and lock screen options
- Search your mail faster with instant results, predictions as you type & spelling suggestions
- Swipe to archive/delete, to quickly clear out your inbox
- Read your mail with threaded conversations
- Auto-complete contact names as you type from your Google contacts or your phone
- Respond to Google Calendar invites right from the app
- Organize your mail by archiving, labeling, starring, deleting and reporting spam
- Send and receive attachments
- See profile pictures as part of the conversation
What's New in Version 5.0.10
- Sent messages now include your Gmail web signature unless a mobile signature has been set up
- Hide sender images in your inbox (in settings)
- Swipe right/left to view the previous/next message
- Choose your preferred browser (Safari or Chrome) for opening links (in settings)
- Edit text in line or copy-paste content from the web while keeping the original text formatting
- Select multiple messages: tap on the sender image or checkbox next to the messages
- Mark as read/unread: select the message and tap the ‘open/closed envelope’ icon in the top toolbar
If it ain't broke don't fix it
I downloaded and used many many apps over last 8 years I've been using iPhone. Some good, some ok, some bad. I just delete the bad ones and move on. My attitude was that life is too short to be writing reviews about crappy apps. Today though I felt compelled to write a review. I upgraded gmail app. That was clearly my biggest mistake of the year to date. I might have skipped a few updates. I had no clue some new UX team had taken over the app and turned it into something gaudy and much less usable. WHY?? I have enjoyed Gmail service over the years because the interface was simple and the service behind it was incredibly powerful. The new app does not feel simple at all. It looks like visiting one of those flashy (most often they are sketchy) websites. It is almost like when I was away for business trip my wife painted all our walls red. An email app is something you spend several minutes inside everyday. It is supposed to have soothing colors. Red is aggravating. Urgh. For the first time, I'm going to configure iPhone's built in email app to use Gmail. Very much looking forward to having the old UX team back on Gmail app.
Weighed down and slow. Please bring back the old version
Weighed down, very slow gmail app! The latest versions of gmail are very slow, much much slower than before. The app seems to be hogging a lot of memory and the features are worse than they used to be. Have you tried to find the 'reply' feature? Well, the basic feature to reply or reply all is hidden. First, you have to locate three tiny dots ... And they have to be the right set of ... Not the ... At the top of the email but the very small ... Underneath. The gmail app is much less intuitive. It is too slow to use on my ipad. So slow in fact that I actually dread opening it because I know I will have to wait a long time for my mail to appear and that I will have to wait again for the screen to 'refresh' when I click on an email to read it. Please go back to the great versions from 6-8 months ago. Stop slowing the app down and burying basic features. Most people care about speed first and features second. Fluff and fancy graphics are way down the list of desirable features, especially when they slow me down. Please streamline this app and fix the slow speed.
Last few updates are horrendous
I have finally rediscovered all of the old features that were either absent or moved/hidden that I had grown accustomed to using, but my main problems with the updates to this app are still present.
The load times to read an email, select an email, switch accounts, or really just getting the app to do anything are unacceptably long. When you press a button, I expect some sort of reaction in less than a second, not having to wait 2-3 seconds before it registers any input at all. When waiting for a message to load, I sometimes can count a full five seconds before it displays anything.
Also, the choice of where to display loading notification is terrible if you use multiple gmail accounts, which I do. It displays a little pop up saying "loading" directly over the button you need to press to access your other account, and this prevents you from clicking it. Then when you do click it, you have to wait several seconds to see if the click registered because of the load times.
At this point, I'm done with this app. It isn't any good except for notifying you when you have received a new email, and I'm sure there are less frustrating apps out there that do that. It's almost as if this app is designed to make older devices obsolete to encourage people to buy new hardware that can run faster, but my iPad3 should be plenty fast to handle an email app.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Jan 24, 2017
- Version: 5.0.10
- Size: 206 MB
- Languages: English, Afrikaans, Albanian, Arabic, Armenian, Basque, Bengali, Bulgarian, Cambodian, Catalan, Chinese (Hong Kong), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, Galician, Georgian, German, Greek, Gujarati, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Kannada, Kazakh, Korean, Laotian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malay, Malayalam, Marathi, Mongolian, Norwegian, Norwegian Bokmål, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Urdu, Vietnamese, Zulu
- Seller: Google, Inc.
- © 2017 Google Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.