By Seagate Technology
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The Seagate Media app gives you access to all the photos, videos, music, and documents stored on your compatible Seagate storage devices.
With the option to navigate with classic file/folder view, thumbnails or a range of filters, it’s easy to find exactly what you are looking for in your media library.
• Access your media library stored on a Seagate Wireless device, no Internet needed
• Access content stored on your Seagate Personal Cloud device from anywhere you have a Wi-Fi or 3G/4G connection. Be sure to enter your username and password in the “Remote Access" tab when outside of your home network
• Automatically back up pictures and videos from your mobile device
• Stream media to Chromecast, LG Smart TVs and Roku devices
• Support for third-party media players allows you to stream videos with other apps installed on your device
• Synchronize your files on Dropbox and/or Google Drive*
*requires an Internet connection, only available on Personal Cloud and Wireless Plus devices
The following devices are support by this app:
•Seagate Wireless Plus
•Seagate Personal Cloud
•Seagate GoFlex Satellite
What's New in Version 188.8.131.52
Due to issues in iOS 8, iTunes purchased videos cannot be played. We are working on a solution.
What's new in this release?
• Improved performance when accessing files remotely from Seagate Personal Cloud devices
• We also squashed a few small bugs in the process
In previous release:
• New casting options - cast to Xbox One and Sonos devices
• Now sorts by track in Album view (was sorting alphabetical by title)
• Added Infuse as 3rd party player for unsupported videos (need to have Infuse installed, to use this function)
• Updated Casting code for Chromecast, Roku, LG TV
• Support for 64-bit devices
• Various enhancements / fixes
Great for what it can do!
To be able to stream your music collection from the drive to your phone AND maintaining an Internet connection is a cool trick and very practical (and necessary). The phone supports one wifi connection, so that is why it's so cool and helpful.
Update1: unfortunately the app drops its connection to the disk sometimes and you have to navigate back to the song you were listening to before the app lost connection. At least if the app loses connection, better recovery would help a lot.
The app is very important to the product (wireless plus disk), so the app should be rock solid and its far from it.
I give 3 stars generously because of what it's capable of doing and not for how well it does the job.
I am a software developer. I can see really great ideas that are implemented poorly. I wish those great ideas were taken to a better, MUCH MORE USABLE conclusion.
For example, downloads of music tracks to the app from the drive. For multiple downloaded CDs, the tracks are interleaved so when going back to listen to the downloaded music, you listen to the first track of album A, then the first track of album B. And in general, the next track of A or B depends on the the alphabetic order of the nth track title from each album. Downloads need to be organized by artist, album, etc like on the drive.
Needs a lot of work
Connectivity is extremely flaky. Sometimes I can access my photos, videos and music. But, sometimes the Seagate Wireless becomes unresponsive. Also, the interface is very clunky. The menus can become very confusing. More time needs to be put into the menus, including the notification section. We need to see more of a status while files are syncing - show the total number of files and which number the sync process is currently on. Maybe even show the size of each file. Finally, the option to cast to Chromecast disappears. Only disconnecting from and reconnecting to the network will get it back. There are many smart people at Seagate. Do more testing internally and get more feedback and then actually do something positive with that feedback. I'm rooting for you!!
Not the best. Work harder!
It works, but it has improvement areas. It is great to have remote access to your media files, it scans and categorizes the type of files (music, photos, videos) by itself. Music plays well, pictures load ok (I wish it was faster), sometimes you have to download videos instead of streaming them (I guess it needs more decoders).
Thumbnails are repeated in different videos, the new interface is not very intuitive, mac hidden folders can be seen (you shouldn't for a regular user), your sort and view preferences are reset every time you open the app, when you go to previous screen it takes you to the top instead of remembering where you were at, etc.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Photo & Video
- Updated: Jul 16, 2015
- Version: 184.108.40.206
- Size: 33.5 MB
- Languages: English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: Seagate Technologies LLC
- © 2015 Seagate Technology
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.