By Andrew Trevorrow
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Golly is an open source, cross-platform application for exploring Conway's Game of Life and many other types of cellular automata.
Supports bounded and unbounded universes, with cells of up to 256 states.
Supports multiple algorithms, including Bill Gosper's super fast hashlife algorithm.
Many different types of CA are included: John von Neumann's 29-state CA, Wolfram's 1D rules, WireWorld, Generations, Langton's Loops, Paterson's Worms, etc.
Reads RLE, macrocell, Life 1.05/1.06, dblife, and MCell files.
Can extract patterns and rules from zip files.
Can download patterns and rules from online archives.
Includes a state-of-the-art pattern collection.
Extensive help, with an integrated Life Lexicon.
What's New in Version 1.1
- This version introduces a new rule format. A file in the new format has a .rule extension and contains all the information about the rule: its name, description, table/tree data, and any color/icon information.
- The RuleTable and RuleTree algorithms have been replaced by a new algorithm called RuleLoader.
- If the Paste button sees pasteboard text starting with "@RULE rulename" then it will save the text as Documents/Rules/rulename.rule and switch to that rule.
- When the Rule dialog is switched to the RuleLoader algorithm it will display links to all the .rule files in Documents/Rules/ and to the supplied .rule files.
- Icons can be displayed at scales 1:8, 1:16 and 1:32 by turning on the "Show icons" option in either the Settings tab or the Pattern tab's state picker window.
- Fixed a bug that could cause the Undo/Redo buttons to be incorrectly enabled/disabled after tapping STOP.
- The Open tab has READ and EDIT links that let you display or change the contents of pattern files. Only files stored in the Documents folder can be edited.
- After tapping on a DELETE link you now get a warning dialog asking if you really want to delete the corresponding file.
- The size of text in the Help tab has been increased.
- Added support for iTunes file sharing.
I love game of life, I'm hooked. But this DEFINITELY surpassed my expectations. I was happily surprised when I saw the save and load options, the preset patterns and a DOWNLOAD BUTTON! I think this is the best yet!
I have Golly on my PC as well as on my IPad and I was surprised at how easy it was to use.
It is amazing what you can create with this :)
It doesnt work on IOS 10 though
This is a wonderful app
This app even has John Von Neumann's self replicating machine