Take handwritten notes in digital, multi-media notebooks or annotate PDF, PowerPoint, and Word documents. All notes are searchable and you'll never have to worry about losing or misplacing them again. GoodNotes lets you organize all your formerly paper-based information in a single place.
AS NATURAL AS WRITING ON PAPER
Create and write in digital notebooks or import documents, images, websites, emails and more. Use one of many supported styluses (Apple Pencil included) or your finger to write like on real paper. GoodNotes' pioneering vector ink engine provides a fluent, precise and completely natural writing experience.
ALWAYS FIND WHAT YOU WROTE
Everything is indexed. Search your handwritten notes, typed- or PDF text across all documents. Quickly find the right documents and folders and open them from the search results. The same powerful OCR technology also lets you convert handwriting to typed text to export it to other apps or create text boxes in GoodNotes.
ALL YOUR NOTES WITH YOU AT ALL TIMES
Sync your notebooks across all your iOS devices using iCloud.
DON'T WORRY ABOUT MAKING MISTAKES
* Unlimited Undo & Redo
* Powerful and smart eraser
* Lasso tool to rearrange, resize, and rotate your handwriting or change colors
CUSTOMIZE YOUR NOTEBOOKS
GoodNotes comes with a large set of beautiful covers and paper templates. Included are: Essential papers in common standardized sizes, meeting templates, device-specific papers, monthly & weekly planners, Cornell note paper, legal pad paper, dark paper, checklists and more.
Need more personalization? You can import any image or PDF into the template library to reuse it over and over again.
EFFORTLESS DOCUMENT MANAGEMENT
* Group documents and notebooks in folders
* Create shortcuts to important folders, notebooks or single pages with one tap
* Search across all notes to find what you‘re looking for
ALMOST MAGICAL DRAG & DROP SUPPORT
* Drag documents into your library to save them
* Drag images to your notebooks and write on them
* Export documents from GoodNotes by dragging them to other apps
* Drag handwritten notes to text editors and convert them to typed text automatically (Depends on receiving app as well)
* Drag screenshots into GoodNotes to annotate and save them
* Learn more about all possible drag & drop interactions on our blog and website
MORE EXCEPTIONAL FEATURES THAT MAKE GOODNOTES UNIQUE
* All the tools you need for taking notes: Fountain Pen, Ball Pen, Brush Pen, Eraser & Highlighter
* Shape Tool: draw perfect shapes and lines (Color filling & Multi-Stroke Shapes are supported, too)
* Lasso Tool: Rearrange, resize, & rotate notes and images. Convert handwriting to typed text. Change the color of the pen and highlighter strokes.
* Auto-Advancing Zoom Tool: Write neatly and fluent
* Image Tool and Text tool: Comfortably add and edit images and text boxes
* QuickNotes: The fastest way to create new notes and start writing right away
* Export of whole notebooks and documents or choose to export one or more pages
* Import and annotate PDF, PowerPoint, and Word documents
* Toggle between open notebooks with one tap
* Switch between list view and thumbnail view to display your notebooks in the library
* Flexible scrolling direction (horizontal or vertical)
* Rest your hand on the screen with the built-in first-in-class palm rejection
Visit our website at goodnotes.com for more information.
- Added haptic feedback on iPhone.
- Fixed opening search results occasionally does not open the correct pages.
- Fixed cannot import certain password protected PDFs.
- Fixed crashes when opening font picker with text tool.
- Fixed buggy UI when multiple pages are selected.
- Fixed arrow keys flip pages instead of moving in text box.
Ratings and Reviews
Please bring these features back!
This app really does move forward in the right direction, but I was so disappointed to see that the palm rest feature and the ability to name the bookmarks are gone. I rely on these features heavily because I use this GoodNotes as my sole note taking app.
I’ve also noticed that the app will often turn pages blank if you delete some pages in an upload. When I upload PDFs or power-points, I can’t delete any of those pages without running the risk of them turning into blanks. The same occurs with pictures. I can no longer drag and drop in pictures, because they will disappear completely. The only way to avoid this is by saving the photos I’ve selected in my camera roll. Only, then do the images stay. There is a glitch when deleting pages. After about 20 or so pages, the app scrolls away from the current location and will not return to its former place. This is a bit frustrating when deleting multiple pages.
There is also a difference in lagging between the newest iPad version released in November 2018 and the version released much earlier in the year. I found it much harder to work on my 12.9 than my 10.5.
The upgrades are amazing and I would like to see a voice recording function. A drag and select feature for deleting or exporting, or the ability to be able to delete/export by page numbers like you would for printing from a computer. These would be cool, but I’d MUCH rather have these problems fixed before adding new features.
Excellent Search Improvements, Backup options limited
I have been using Goodnotes for extensive note taking during graduate school. Version 5 keeps many of the aspects that have made it my favorite note taking app, but again this version is not quite perfect. The best improvement from version 4 is the document search feature, which includes your handwriting. I also enjoy the continuous scroll feature. Thank you, developers! On the downside, version 5 does not seem to have the diverse backup options that were available in version 4. I had been using Dropbox since I work on many devices that are not made by Apple, and I liked to be able to access the up to date backup from anywhere. Now, however, iCloud is the only backup option. Please make the other cloud sync services available. One feature that was carried over without change from version 4 but I hope to see updated in version 5 is the 3 size eraser. You can make the pen very fine to write small (which I love), but you can’t make the eraser very small to make fine tuned corrections. A few more small eraser options are needed. I would also like to see version 5 create an option to open 2 notes side by side (similar to the feature in Notability).
I like the new features, but there are lots of bugs.
As someone who loved GoodNotes 4, I was very excited for the transition over to number 5. First, I must start off by saying that I really enjoy the new formatting and some of the new features they’ve added such as being able to move text around with the lasso tool or adding the Insert a Picture feature right on the tool bar. But, I’ve noticed a lot of bugs since transitioning; the app crashes on me several times a day and no matter what I set the palm rejection sensitivity to, it still confuses my palm with my fingers. For example, if I use the zoom in text box feature while writing and it suggests a new place to start, as soon as I lay my hand back down to begin writing, it mistakes my palm as my fingers and moves the screen around causing many random scribbles and not legible letters. I use this app primarily for journaling and note taking which makes it inconvenient when the app shuts down or interferes with my writing. Additionally, the vertical page scrolling is still very glitchy even though the newest update was supposedly supposed to fix that. I’ve added too many things to GoodNotes 5 to convert back so I guess I just have to wait until they fix all the bugs. Like I mentioned, the new features are nice, but they don’t outweigh the cons. Shouldn’t have transitioned over.
- Time Base Technology Limited
- 336.2 MB
- Requires iOS 12 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2011-2018 Time Base Technology Limited
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.