First released in 2009, GoodReader marks its 10-year anniversary with a better-than-ever major upgrade, GoodReader 5.
It's not easy to outperform ourselves after 10 years of delivering wonderful updates with extraordinary new features, but we did it! Again!
Already top in its class, and everybody's favorite go-to tool, GoodReader just got significantly better.
GoodReader is a perfect combination of document-reading and file-managing capabilities. It's your one-stop shop for all your document needs when you're on the go with your iOS device.
Use the app once, and you'll be hooked. Soon you'll be wondering how you ever managed to work without it.
-= File Reading =-
PDF, TXT, MS Office, iWork, HTML, pictures, music & audio-books, videos. This is what you can view in GoodReader, plus you can also annotate PDF files and edit TXT files.
-= PDF Reading and Annotating =-
PDF files is where GoodReader truly shines. Reading experience is so superior, it's hard to describe. To rephrase one of our customers' review, "try it, and you'll see." While you're at it, give our PDF Reflow feature a try. You'll be surprised how much better PDF reading goes when you don't have to scroll left/right all the time, for every single line of text.
Annotating PDFs is another star feature of our app. Adding notes and drawings, highlighting text, and then sharing your annotated files or annotation summaries will be your main productivity and collaboration asset.
-= File Management =-
While reading files is a big part of GoodReader, it's not all it can do. It can also serve as a central hub for all your files, even those that can't be opened by GoodReader itself. It's like bringing your personal computer experience to your mobile device — easily managing huge collections of files and folders will make you forget you don't have your laptop around.
-= Connecting =-
Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, Box.com, WebDAV, SMB, AFP, FTP, SFTP — these are all accessible from inside GoodReader. Download, upload, and sync individual files or huge folder collections.
-= Security =-
With GoodReader, your data security steps up to the level previously only dreamt of. With Pro Pack (*), our new set of professional-level super-features, you'll get AES-256, a military-grade encryption, for all your data, at a price of a cup of coffee! And it's completely independent from the built-in Apple's Data Protection, so even if a hacker steals and unlocks your device, your data will still be protected by another strong layer of security, our own.
-= Split-Screen =-
A part of the Pro Pack (*) add-on, this wonderful new feature allows you to split an iPad screen in half, to read two files side-by-side. And even two different parts of the same file!
-= Privacy =-
Our commitment is to never monitor any user activity or gather any analytical data through the app. There are no usernames, profiles or accounts to log in to. Use the tool at your leisure with ZERO monitoring.
(*): Pro Pack is a paid add-on, sold separately from inside the app, as an in-app purchase.
- completely new UI design: everything is better, faster, easier to find, more intuitive, with a modern new look
- completely redesigned PDF viewer: much smoother scrolling, zooming, and page turning
- PDF: continuous "pageless" scrolling mode
- Split Screen (iPad only) to view two files or two different parts of the same file, side-by-side*
- military-grade AES-256 encryption for files & folders*
- add password protection (with strong AES-256 encryption) to PDF files*
- upgrade weak encryption of old PDF files to AES-256*
- create password-protected AES-256 encrypted ZIP archives*
- Secure Photocopy, to completely eliminate all traces of invisible, hidden, or redacted information in a PDF file*
- secure options for individual PDF pages: email, extract, or export as a separate password-protected file, as a secure photocopy, or both*
- secure option to e-mail or export any file or folder as a password-protected ZIP*
- easier closing of and switching between files: just swipe the left or right edge of the screen
- access to OneDrive for Business
- Switch Drives for SharePoint / OneDrive for Business / Office 365*
- improved Apple Pencil support: start annotating immediately after touching the screen, use Apple Pencil 2's double-tap to switch tools
- Trash for deleted files & folders
- new Box.com API, now supporting 2-step authentication
- support for Apple's "Open in Place": depending on the app sending a file to GoodReader, GoodReader may open the source file residing in that app rather than copying the file to GoodReader
- "Convert to PDF" for pictures or TXT files, plus improved support for built-in iOS conversion for HTML, iWork, and MS Office files*
- completely redesigned video player with new controls: chapters, frame-by-frame forwarding/rewinding, jumping by 30 seconds, saving a screenshot* as a separate file
- completely redesigned graphics viewer: much smoother scrolling, zooming, and page turning; easier handling of multiple image tasks like emailing, printing, or PDF conversion
- support for multi-page TIFF: view page-by-page, extract* individual pages
- better support for animated GIF: view frame-by-frame, extract individual frames*, play the real-time animation
- completely new WiFi-transfer: much easier transfer of files via a web browser on a computer, with drag-and-drop
- new file list mode: large icons, in addition to existing list and small icon modes
- file list: multi-column list mode
- file-list: auto-scrolling for extra-long file names that don't fit the screen
- better drag-n-drop for files and folders: now with the option of copying or moving
- completely new PDF Reflow: now with continuous "pageless" scrolling, with embedded preview thumbnails for each page
- file list preview thumbnails now support more file types: TXT, HTML, iWork, MS Office
- better PDF Annotations Summary: choose what types of annotations and what type of information to include in the summary*
- TXT: pre-composed color schemes for Day and Night reading modes
- new menu auto-hide options: hide all bars automatically, leave the status bar on, don't auto-hide bars
- countless improvements to every aspect of the app, amounting to a much more efficient and enjoyable experience
(*) - a part of Pro Pack, requires an in-app purchase
Ratings and Reviews
I have had this app on my iPad for several years now and would be lost without it! I use it primarily for knitting--as a collection place for my many patterns. It is particularly useful when I am knitting from a CHART. I place lines, vertically, that are the same color as my stitch markers about every 5-10 stitches and then create a horizontal line to move up or down in the direction that the pattern is to be read. If needed you can make notes to yourself about where you left off either in the line or a message bubble on how you did something a little bit different. I recently created a lace shawl that I would have never been able to create without it. Another thing I like about GoodReader is that you can access your stored patterns even if you are away from internet access. Being able to organize patterns by creating folders and mark patterns with different colored star--those patterns that you want to create for some little person soon or the Fair next summer. There are so many pieces to this app, that I am sure I don't use them all, but absolutely love what I have found. Even though one can only give 5 stars, I'd give 10 if I could. Amazing app❣
Love the new Good Reader!
I have used GoodReader since 2010. I downloaded the new update a week ago. I was very nervous about it, because I don’t like major changes in the products I use. But the new (basic) GoodReader is great! I only use a tiny fraction of its capabilities, but am very happy with what I’ve seen so far. Specifically, it used to be that if I was reading a large text file (say, an 800-page book), and needed to mark a problem, if I didn’t put in a bookmark first, I was unable to return to the same point in the document once I had saved my editorial comment. This is no longer the case—hurray! I edit the text, click “Save and close,” and am immediately taken right back to where I made the note. Another feature that I love is being able to email the files, without having to use The Cloud or Dropbox. What a wonderful addition to the app—it makes my job so much easier! I can only imagine the additional capabilities that exist within the professional package. I don’t need those, so am thrilled that users are given the option of purchasing the package or not.
A good tool, but from a bygone era of apps
I've loved and used GoodReader for many years now. It has long served as an excellent PDF reference and markup tool with the capability to work with numerous other file types as well. While unorthodox and somewhat confusing, its nonstandard menu system was innovative and powerful for its time. Add to that the ability to (slowly) sync with Dropbox and it was as close to a perfect reference/annotation tool as one could hope for in the early days of iOS.
Now, in September 2018, many of those UI complexities have been solved by Apple and other developers, and new, faster, truly-cloud-syncing apps (like Readdle's excellent Documents and PDFExpert apps) have long surpassed GoodReader in both form and function. Meanwhile, GoodReader remains largely unchanged in its design, and its developers are years late in their release of the long-promised version 5. Sadly, even though I have held out hope and delayed as long as possible, I think the era of GoodReader in my life is ending. Having purchased the latest high-performance, all-wheel-drive, extended-cab truck of such apps, it's time to put the trusty old GoodReader station wagon in the shed.
So long, GoodReader. It's been a good run.
In-App PurchasesSee All
- Good.iWare, Inc.
- 69.8 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Good.iWare, Inc., 2009-2019. All rights reserved.
- In-App Purchases
- Pro Pack $5.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.