Goodreads: Book Reviews
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Discover and share books you love on Goodreads, the world's largest site for readers and book recommendations!
Find new and interesting books by browsing personalized recommendations based on books you've read and your favorite genres. See what your friends are reading, write book reviews, and keep track of what you want to read.
Use our barcode scanner the next time you are in a bookstore. Add the book in your hands to your "to-read" shelf and browse reviews before buying.
More than 35 million members have added more than 1 billion books to their shelves. No other app combines the power and depth of the Goodreads community with an enormous catalog of books and reviews.
• Get personalized recommendations and discover new books based on your tastes.
• Goodreads Choice Awards: vote for your favorite books of the year and see the winners!
• Participate in the Reading Challenge!
• Barcode scanner!
• Keep a want-to-read list.
• See book reviews and updates from your friends.
• Discover new books and explore popular book lists.
• Rate and review any book in our catalog of more than 12 million books.
• Share notes and progress updates as you read.
• Recommend books to friends.
• Join online book clubs and connect with other readers.
• View literary events near you.
What's New in Version 3.8.2
• Browse popular genres and lists in the Search tab
• Swipe right to add a book to your Want to Read list from genres, lists, and other members' shelves
• Swipe left to delete group comments you posted, or to delete comments in groups you moderate
• More sharing options for books and reviews
• Miscellaneous fixes and improvements
I want to love Goodreads but I can’t
I love books and I love reading them so I thought that I’d love Goodreads, too. Sadly, not the case.
There are so many issues with the app that I can literally list them:
1. When setting up a reading challenge you can’t just add the books you’ve read in the year, you have to first put them in your ‘currently reading’ shelf and then ‘update your progress’ to then click ‘I finished the book!’
2. When creating custom folders there is no edit button on the iOS version. You have to look up comments under Help where I found a link that let me do it after another series of steps.
3. When you’re adding books you’ve read by immediately rating it with the stars the ‘read’ button gets checked (smart), but yet the book doesn’t get counted in your ‘Read’ shelf. You have to FIRST click the ‘read’ button manually then rate it (if you want) for the read count to be updated.
4. Several times the apps categories such as ‘Home’, ‘My Books’ and ‘More’ go gray and are disabled. Essentially the app freezes and you either have to restart your phone or uninstall, reinstall the app.
I could go on but I’m tired. I’d love to see these issues worked out. These app has so much potential.
I Love Goodreads!
I truly love Goodreads and how it is synced with my Kindle App. I have Kindle Unlimited and I read several books a month and it keeps a list for me! It keeps a list of books I have read, am currently reading, and what books that I want to read! You can also look up different books by title, author, and more. Plus I find that readers leave more reviews on Goodreads then wherever you got the book from. Lastly, which I love... You can do a Reading Challenge for yourself. I suppose it’s against others too but I like having the challenge for myself to see how many books I have read this year, etc.. Goodreads is awesome!
I wish I could give Goodreads App 5 Stars. In recent versions have MADE AN ANNOYING POP UP ADVERTISING. This is something we should of learned from in the 1990’s. The design of this app is so great yet is diluted by this POP Up Advertising!!!! There is plenty of value here in this service. Someone needs to consider re-negotiating with publishers. Good reads is a great way to find out about books.
I know I am a daily user of Goodreads. I completed my reading challenge this year. There is so many ways I find out about books know and Goodreads is essential to that discovery. I ask people to join my Goodreads. It’s so nice to find so much value here enriching my life! I use Goodreads on the desktop, app, and on Kindle.
There are ways to monetize this service and continue building the winning atmosphere for everyone around reading!