Discover and share books you love on Goodreads, the world's largest site for readers and book recommendations!
Find new and interesting books by browsing personalized recommendations based on books you've read and your favorite genres. See what your friends are reading, write book reviews, and keep track of what you want to read.
Use our barcode scanner the next time you are in a bookstore. Add the book in your hands to your "to-read" shelf and browse reviews before buying.
More than 35 million members have added more than 1 billion books to their shelves. No other app combines the power and depth of the Goodreads community with an enormous catalog of books and reviews.
• Get personalized recommendations and discover new books based on your tastes.
• Goodreads Choice Awards: vote for your favorite books of the year and see the winners!
• Participate in the Reading Challenge!
• Barcode scanner!
• Keep a want-to-read list.
• See book reviews and updates from your friends.
• Discover new books and explore popular book lists.
• Rate and review any book in our catalog of more than 12 million books.
• Share notes and progress updates as you read.
• Recommend books to friends.
• Join online book clubs and connect with other readers.
• View literary events near you.
* Support for upcoming Goodreads Choice Awards! Vote for your favorite books from 2018.
* You can now see all of the lists for a book. Swipe right on the "Lists featuring this book" carousel at the bottom of the book page and tap "See All" to browse more lists.
* You can now see your read counts when sorting by read counts.
* Fixed a bug where the home page would not load for some users.
* Added support for larger text through the Accessibility menu.
* Fixed a bug where copying a book link to share in the Mail app would only copy the book cover.
Ratings and Reviews
I don't have room in my house for a bookcase nor do I have enough money to buy all the books I love and display them in my house. Therefore, when I found goodreads I found the perfect way to create a digital bookcase with reviews and all! I simply adore it :)
My only wish would be a DNF category aside from the usual ones (i.e.- "Currently Reading", "To Read", "Read"). Right now I have a handful of books on my "Read" list even though I didn't finish them. I hate taking credit for reading a book when I didn't but if I take it off my list I'll forget I tried it and try to read it later.
In addition, I read many books via audiobooks and I want to update my progress under “currently reading” but I have no way of knowing what page I’m on and typing in the percentage is a pure guess. In order for this to be more accurate to where I am in the book, it might be nice to have a category that tracks what chapter or minute you’re on. If this was the case I would have a more comprehensive view of my progress throughout the read. Other than these two small tweaks I love it!
Thanks for your feedback. In this case, I'd suggest creating a DNF shelf and making it "exclusive," which will allow you to bypass the default shelves ("read", "currently-reading", and "to-read"). Books added to exclusive shelves cannot be added to other exclusive shelves (like "read"), but they can still be added to any of your non-exclusive custom shelves. Here's how to make a shelf exclusive:
1. Click on My Books in the header.
2. Click on "edit" next to the "Bookshelves" header on the left.
3. Find the shelf you'd like to make exclusive on your list of shelves, and click on the checkbox beneath "exclusive."
As a work around to track your progress for audiobooks, simply divide your current audiobook progress in hours into the total length of the audiobook to work out your %. For example, if you're 3 hours into an 8 hour audiobook, you have made 38% progress (3/8 = 37.5%, rounded up to 38%).
Hope this helps!
Born To Run
I love Bruce Springsteen. I saw him perform for almost 4 hours with one break 40 years ago. He puts his heart and soul into everything he does. This book is no exception. You root for him for 500 pages and even though you think you know where it’s going, you really don’t. He wants to get everything exactly right. He does know and he does care, and he feels the heavy weight and responsibility of being a rock and roll messiah. He also feels the weight of heavy family issues, especially with his father. The Boss never sought to be a mile wide and an inch deep. More like a mile wide and a mile deep. As his songs demonstrate, the man can paint a starkly honest panorama with heartfelt words. He does it again with his story.
I started with a four star review, because in stretches the book seemed humorless. But you don’t downgrade Faulkner for not writing like Vonnegut. Springsteen did it his way as he always does. He reveals a lot about himself, more than I expected, and takes you to another world, his world, with genius, hard work, shortcomings and mental illness all racing toward the horizon. It’s well worth a read.
Hi there, it seems like you've written a book review here. Just to let you know that this area is actually for reviewing the Goodreads app itself, not for book reviews! For future reference, you'll find instructions at the following link on how to write a book review on the iOS app: https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/459 I hope this helps!
Perfect! Just missing one thing...
I love this app! I love that you can scan books into it for easy cataloging, I love that I can use it while doing unnecessary book shopping to make sure I don’t buy what I already have. I love that I can update my progress on books in the app. It’s literally missing just one thing - the ability to enter dates on my activity for a book showing I’ve re-read it. I know I can edit when I first started and finished a book, but I can’t add more dates as I re-read books, which is all I tend to be doing lately. I know I can add these dates on the site (which, tbh it’s really difficult to get to the page I need to enter re-read dates, so that could be improved, too), but, while a majority of my books are actually physical books, I do have a lot of kindle and audio books that I consume on my phone, so when I finish them, it would be nice to be able to update my activity with a re-read date while I’ve already got my nose stuck in front of my phone. My rating is a 4 out of 5, but I will gladly give it a perfect 5 if that missing feature can be added!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.