Goodreads – Book Recommendations and Reviews for great Books and eBooks
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Discover and share books you love on Goodreads, the world's largest site for readers and book recommendations!
Find new and interesting books by browsing personalized recommendations based on books you've read and your favorite genres. See what your friends are reading, write book reviews, and keep track of what you want to read.
Use our barcode scanner the next time you are in a bookstore. Add the book in your hands to your "to-read" shelf and browse reviews before buying.
More than 35 million members have added more than 1 billion books to their shelves. No other app combines the power and depth of the Goodreads community with an enormous catalog of books and reviews.
• Get personalized recommendations and discover new books based on your tastes.
• Goodreads Choice Awards: vote for your favorite books of the year and see the winners!
• Participate in the Reading Challenge!
• Barcode scanner!
• Keep a want-to-read list.
• See book reviews and updates from your friends.
• Discover new books and explore popular book lists.
• Rate and review any book in our catalog of more than 12 million books.
• Share notes and progress updates as you read.
• Recommend books to friends.
• Join online book clubs and connect with other readers.
• View literary events near you.
What's New in Version 3.4
• Explore what your friends and like-minded readers think of your latest read on the redesigned review page
• See a timeline of your reading history for each book including all your progress update notes
• iPhone 6s users: Peek and pop books from the review page
Overall solid app
Has some great features, including different ways to sort your lists of read, want to read, and currently reading. I use the app primarily for those 3 lists.
I also appreciate the book ratings and reader reviews. It helps me determine whether to read a book or not, or purchase vs. check out from the library (I never feel bad returning a partially read book to the library, but hate not finishing one I've bought).
However, I think I would use the app more if it could improve in the suggestions based on my reading lists. Right now selections seem somewhat random, and the same titles repeatedly show up when I search categories for new things to read. I started using Goodreads with the hope of finding new books to interest me, and it does that sometimes. I just wish it did so successfully more often.
Fun...a few suggested improvements
I love being able to keep track of the books I'm reading, want to read and have read. I also love the tiny bit of community introduced by being able to follow authors and my Facebook friends. However, the recommendations are pretty hit and miss and while I love seeing the different book lists in the "Explore" section I hate seeing the same awful lists over and over without any way of asking not to see them anymore. Also, it's heartbreaking when I do find a book list I love and have no way to save it or even see it again.
About the community, this may be me not knowing how to use the app correctly, but I would love to get involved with more reading groups and I just don't know how. There are no guidelines within the app that I've seen that tell how to use the app to its fullest potential.
Book lovers tool
Anyone who loves books and wants to track their "want to read" books or quickly peruse past reads to come up with recommendations for others will enjoy this app. However, it needs a few improvements to get 5 stars - one being that the reviews of a book should be sorted by most recent or give you the option to sort by date. As it stands, they show you 3 reviews and often they're from years ago so there's no way to see a good true sampling of others' opinions. Also when Goodreads is synced go your Facebook account and posts to your FB page when you leave a review it no longer posts the review and if you click on the post saying you reviewed the book, instead of taking you to the review it takes you to the general page for the book.