Keep exploring with Google Arts & Culture. Meet the people, visit the places and learn about the events that shaped our world. Discover collections curated by experts from the most famous museums. Be moved by stories depicted in thousands of photos, videos, manuscripts and artworks on every type of screen and in virtual reality. Find your favorite artworks, create your own collections and share them with friends.
Google Arts & Culture has collaborated with over 1,200 international museums, galleries and institutions from 70 countries to make their exhibits available for everyone online.
– Zoom Views – Experience every detail of the world’s greatest treasures
– Virtual Reality – Grab your Google Cardboard viewer and immerse yourself in arts and culture
– Browse by time and colour – Explore artworks by filtering them by colour or time period
– Virtual tours – Step inside the most famous museums in the world and visit iconic landmarks
– Personal collection – Save your favorite artworks and share your collections with friends
- Nearby - Find museums and cultural events around you
– Exhibits – Take guided tours curated by experts
– Daily digest – Learn something new every time you open the app
– Art Recognizer – Learn more about artworks by pointing your device camera at them, even when offline (at select museums)
– Notifications – subscribe to receive updates on the top arts and culture stories
– Location: Needed to recommend cultural sites and events based on your current location
– Camera: Needed to recognise artworks and provide related information about them
– Contacts (Get Accounts): Needed to allow sign in with a Google Account in order to store users' favorites and preferences
– Storage: Needed to allow artworks to be recognized and related information to be access while offline
• Art Selfie - A playful way to discover art. Now available globally.
Ratings and Reviews
Explore 1,200-plus museums—content translated into Thai.
Mixed Race = Mixed Results
(The following is less about the app itself, but the A.I. Machine learning feature of the Painting Selfie Comparison)
tl;dr - Needs more Data about other races other than White/Caucasian, especially Asians. Results are okay.
The more we use machine learning based A.I. by giving it Data (i.e. your face) the better it will become. As a mixed race person, I’m fully aware I don’t look like a typical Asian or caucasian person, and the results reflect this. It chose a Caucasian artwork over an Asian one by +4%. The results reflect the bias of the Engineers and Designers of A.I. In general and we need to change this by hiring more People of Color. The data is only data, what matters is how it is interpreting, and with Google made up mostly of the White demographic, it makes sense. Keep trying, guys. Facial Recognition is still growing.
I am giving this app a one star until Google stops being a whiny child and fixes the app so people in Texas and Illinois can actually use the “Is your portrait in a museum?” I find it ridiculous that they are playing this game because they do not like the laws Texas has passed that require companies to let users know about biometric scanning and to agree to it before use. I’m very disappointed in Google today and I’m not sure they will ever get my approval back. I’ve been an avid fan of all Google products for years now and have told everyone I know that using Chrome is your best choice. After this though annoyance and snub from Google, they have lost my support. And I really hope they can realize how childish they are being and stop throwing their temper tantrum and act like adults. Admitting their fault and sending out a formal apology is the only way they will get back into my good graces.
- Google, Inc.
- 83.3 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Afrikaans, Basque, Cambodian, Catalan, Czech, Dutch, French, German, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- © Google, Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.