Google Play Books - Books & Comics
By Google, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
With Google Play Books for iOS start reading today with millions of titles from Google Play on your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad. Take your favorite books with you on the go and personalize your reading experience. Shop books in your browser on Google Play.
Great Reading Experience
- Change font, search within the book, information about book
- Manage your library (archive books after reading)
- Night-reading mode
- Read books offline
- VoiceOver support
Discover Millions of Titles on Google Play
- Over 4 million books in every imaginable category, from the New York Times® bestsellers to favorite classics, from Harry Potter to Game of Thrones
- Millions of free books available instantly – Romance, Science Fiction & Fantasy, Mystery & Thrillers, Biographies & Memoirs, Comics & Graphic Novels, Computers & Technology, Business, Travel, History, Arts, and more.
- Free preview pages
- Unlimited storage of books in the digital cloud
Syncs With Your Google Play books library
- Access all your books wirelessly from the digital cloud
- Automatic page position syncing across devices -- pick up reading where you left off.
What's New in Version 3.0.2
* Discover is a new way to browse book news, articles, videos and more. Read featured stories and get personalized recommendations. (U.S. only)
* Fixed various issues including missing book covers, and font resizing problem on iPads with iOS 10.
What a disappointment!
This is the WORST Ereader I have ever used. I had a certificate for $5 off on a book, so I got one. What a mistake. I am using this on my iPhone6. I can page through the book, as I am reading. If I stop, the app forgets where I am and goes all the way back to the beginning of the book. What?!? If I don't remember where I was, then I end up re-reading parts of chapters. How could they put out a product like that?
ANY other ereader I have used, you can highlight a section that you like. THIS...you can highlight a WORD. If you want to highlight anything more than that, you have a huge struggle on your hands. Most of the time, I just give up and flag the page. That is not what I want to do, though. If I want to find something I found profound, this forces me to go back and read through the whole page to try to locate it again. If I forget what I found so interesting, it is lost for good.
HOW HARD CAN THIS BE? Google? If you can search the web for anything in the history of the world, why can't you come up with an ereader that works at least as good as anyone else's? Is that too much to ask? Can’t you just come up with a "C" rated app? THIS one is a total fail and I will never buy another ebook on google. Your app has taken all the fun out of reading and I cannot wait to be done with this book so I can delete you forever.
I hope you can sense how frustrated and disappointed I am. Judging by the other reviews I have seen, I am not alone.
From Bad To Worse (Redux)❗️
Updated Updated Review: The latest update has rendered this app all but unusable. The highlighting and note-taking functionality seems to have returned, but now the app crashes halfway through the download when downloading a larger file. Uninstalling and reinstalling the app does nothing to correct the issue. I seem to be stuck with over two hundred purchased books that I am unable to read with this app. Perhaps I should ask Google for a refund of the purchase price of these books… 😕 /s
Updated Review: The latest release has corrected the issues with font size and line spacing, but has also added several new bugs. It is now seemingly impossible to remove the highlighting from highlighted text, and the app has begun crashing or displaying blank pages on a regular basis. One would think that the developers would be able to create a functional app. Perhaps it's a matter of job security…
Original Review: This app has always had issues. It's extremely slow to download books, and the dictionary and translation functions have been seriously downgraded in the last few updates.
Unfortunately, the update to iOS 10.0.1 has introduced a new bug to Google Play Books on my iPad Mini 3—I can no longer adjust the font size and the line spacing within a page.
This could be a good app, if only Google's developers would give it the attention that it deserves.
Not worthy of Google's brand
Google Play Books has an incredible selection; better than iBooks. Everything else about it is akin to using 2016 gaming applications on a 1990s PC with a dial-up connection. Rotating the screen orientation takes 10-15 seconds sometimes. Numerous fake bookmarks are added to books. Text cannot be copied. Text cannot be highlighted across pages without highlighting as two separate highlights. The pop-up for adding notes often is blocked so one cannot sees what one typed. Pages change with seconds delay. If this was 1996, I'd be super impressed by this app, especially since iBooks wouldn't exist; but in 2016 I only use Play Books when I can't find the book on any other application. Play Books definitely has the best selection though! I'm able to find books on there that I can't find elsewhere. They're expensive; but worth it even with The uncharacteristically poor performance of the Google app.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Books
- Updated: Nov 04, 2016
- Version: 3.0.2
- Size: 59.2 MB
- Languages: English, Afrikaans, Arabic, Bulgarian, Catalan, Chinese (Hong Kong), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: Google, Inc.
- © Google Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.