Google Play Books
By Google, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
With Google Play Books for iOS start reading today with millions of titles from Google Play on your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad. Take your favorite books with you on the go and personalize your reading experience. Shop books in your browser on Google Play.
Great Reading Experience
- Change font, search within the book, information about book
- Manage your library (archive books after reading)
- Night-reading mode
- Read books offline
- VoiceOver support
Discover Millions of Titles on Google Play
- Over 4 million books in every imaginable category, from the New York Times® bestsellers to favorite classics
- Millions of free books available instantly
- Free preview pages
- Unlimited storage of books in the digital cloud
- Worry-free archive
Syncs With Your Google Play books library
- Access all your books wirelessly from the digital cloud
- Automatic page position syncing across devices -- pick up reading where you left off.
What's New in Version 2.2
Fixed a highlights and notes syncing issue
Fixed an issue with long app startup time
Great Interface but Often Finicky
This app has a great interface and makes electronic material very easy to read. However, there are often problems when loading books and turning pages. Maybe this is because I have a few large books loaded - I don't know and this really shouldn't be an issue because of size. However, the app has recently crashed many times (I am using the latest version) and often does not load the book that I am reading. I will often just get a blank screen and have to restart the app. This is definitely a major problem when you are trying to read material on a time sensitive basis, or simply trying to enjoy a nice book. If these loading and crashing issues are addressed, this app would be great.
Just one complaint...
I love reading in night mode in bed because it's not overly stimulating, in fact there can be considerably less luminance than reading a paper book lit by a lightbulb; however, unlike the kindle app where there's within-app control over character brightness in addition to the screen brightness control in iOS, character brightness is fixed in play books. This limits the range of times I'll use it and thus I simply won't buy books from the play store.
Needs to improve, but I like it
Update: The latest version of this app is not working for me. The books never load and all I get is a blank screen with gyrating loading things that never stop spinning. Furthermore I keep getting messages that some chapters of my books could not be loaded. I was an avid user of this app but now I will have to go back to ibooks.
This app has some issues but I like it enough to use it. My two main complaints are:
1) The bookmark some times won't disappear when you try to remove it and instead creates another identical one in the bookmark list.
2) You can't create collections or folders or tag your books with keywords to group them and sort thru them in an easier way.
Improve those flaws and polish it a little design wise and I will give it 5 stars.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Books
- Updated: Feb 20, 2015
- Version: 2.2
- Size: 18.4 MB
- Languages: English, Afrikaans, Catalan, Chinese, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: Google, Inc.
- © Google Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.