By Google, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Google Currents delivers beautiful magazine-like editions to your tablet and smartphone for high speed and offline reading. Features include:
• Publisher editions - Publishers such as Forbes, The Guardian, TechCrunch, PBS, Saveur, and more have produced hundreds of editions including full length, in-depth articles, videos, fine photography, and slideshows. Editions are free, - covering news, business, lifestyle, fashion, sports, science, technology, design, food, entertainment and more.
• Fast scan - A new navigation mode lets you quickly swipe vertically to discover unread stories within an edition, swipe horizontally to move to the next edition within a category. Or, use the sidebar to jump ahead to a specific edition.
• Breaking stories - Google Currents uses Google search technology to deliver the hottest breaking stories in categories such as world, entertainment, sports, science, and more. As you travel to different countries, additional breaking stories are added to match your location.
• Saved stories - Run across an in-depth article that you want to read later, or a special recipe you want to keep? Star any story to be saved for later, in your personal Saved stories edition.
• Your favorite blogs and feeds - Instantly, turn your Google Reader subscriptions, or any of your favorite blogs/feeds into a beautiful edition with a magazine feel.
• Translate - Currents uses Google translate technology to translate editions into a preferred language of your choice. 44 languages are supported.
Each edition is available for high speed offline reading, and provides quick-touch sharing. Google Currents self-adapts to differently sized phones and tablets, with subscriptions synchronized across devices. Google Currents - a reading experience not to be missed.
What's New in Version 2.1
• Audio Playlist support for editions.
• Vertical pagination for articles.
• Pinch-to-zoom on photos.
• Bug fixes and interface polish.
Navigation makes sense
The navigation makes sense if you are the type to swipe through each article as if reading a magazine. I'm actually someone who picks and choose articles to read so I prefer if swiping back took me back to the main list. A "page flip" gesture to go through articles, while preserving the OS drag from the left to go back is more appropriate to me. I prefer this app for layout but flip board navigation works better for me. I find myself constantly trying to swipe back to the mail list and this doesn't work that way.
was very good, not so much now
with the last update Currents took a sharp downturn in creating a nice user experience. The switch from horizontal nav is annoying but something I suppose I'll get over...where it lost me is the auto-hide menu gizmo. If you want to go back to the main menu you need to tap somewhere...this usually ends up opening an article you didn't want to read, but at least the nav button is there! You then need to double tap to get where you intended. Three actions to accomplish what was once done in one. I also seem to notice greater lag time...but this could just be because I am already annoyed at the whole app. Hopefully the next update will bring a fix
Updates Make All the Difference
I love this app after the recent updates. I rate the multiple navigation options and the ongoing addition of content providers as 5 stars. When I am in a hurry, the Breaking News feature is awesome!
Give it try!
- Category: News
- Updated: Jun 25, 2013
- Version: 2.1
- Size: 4.6 MB
- Languages: English, Afrikaans, Amharic, Belarusian, Bokmål, Norwegian, Bulgarian, Catalan, Chinese, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malay, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Tagalog, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese, Zulu
- Seller: Google, Inc.
- © 2012 Google, Inc
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.