Google Maps - GPS Navigation
By Google, Inc.
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Google Maps makes navigating your world faster and easier. Find the best places in town and the information you need to get there.
Get there faster with real-time updates
• Beat traffic with real-time ETAs and traffic conditions
• Catch your bus, train, or ride-share with real-time transit info
• Save time with automatic re-routing based on live traffic, incidents, and road closures
• Don't miss a turn or exit with lane guidance
• Find pit stops along your route like gas stations and coffee spots
Discover places and explore like a local
• Find top-rated restaurants and local businesses, wherever you are
• Decide on the best places to go with reviews, ratings, and pictures of foods and interiors
• Plan your visit and see menus, make reservations, and find when places are typically busiest
• Help others discover the best places by sharing reviews, photos and more
• Save places you want to or often visit, and quickly find them later from any computer or device
Experience the Google Maps difference
• Offline maps to search and navigate without an internet connection
• Street View and indoor imagery for restaurants, shops, museums and more
• Indoor maps to quickly find your way inside big places like airports, malls and stadiums
• Comprehensive, accurate maps in 220 countries and territories
• Transit schedules and maps for over 15,000 cities
• Detailed business information on over 100 million places
* Some features not available in all countries
**Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
What's New in Version 4.41
Thanks for using Google Maps! This release brings support for iPhone X in addition to bug fixes that improve our product to help you discover new places and navigate to them. Get the latest version for all of the available Google Maps features.
Great, but flawed
So without question google maps is one of my most used apps. Very early on I decided it was far better than Apple’s maps app (maybe I should go back and try that because I haven’t used it for years). Anyway, the pluses are many, but there is one thing that drives me so insane that I rank this app a 3 instead of a 5, that one thing is extremely untimely short freeze ups. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been in a situation where I need the app the run normally in order to get the info I need in time to make a correct turn and the app will pause/freeze for a few seconds. It’s almost is if it knows what’s going on and is playing a cruel trick on me. Just today I had put in my destination, had the route, and was on my way. A while later I saw an exit sign and thought that could be my exit. I pulled the app back up to check and.......... my blue GPS marker had me about 2 miles off the highway in the middle of no where just sitting still. So I wait, I’m getting closer and closer to the exit, I wait and wait, slow down a little, and wait, and there goes the exit, and finally it shows yes that was the exit. Almost broke my new iPhone X. And that exact thing has happened on multiple occasions with multiple phones. I’m going to see if any other ratings mention this.
Only sometimes shows the saved locations on my phone
I wrote a review a while back that the app no longer showed saved locations making it cumbersome to go to ‘home’ or ‘work’ since those saved locations do not show up in ‘recent searches’. I am very impressed that google responded to my review and fixed the issue. Unfortunately, the fix is not entirely 100% and the app now is rather temperamental about whether or not it shows the stored locations. It seems that if you still have a route displayed and then want to change it, the app won’t show stored locations but when you start from the map/satellite image of your current location, it will.
Previous review: Used to work beautifully for the daily commute from/to work/home because of real-time traffic. Now, however, when picking a destination it only shows recent searches and not saved locations like home or work. It’s irritating and defeats the purpose of having stored locations. Yes, I do know the usual way home but the whole purpose of using google maps is to know the best route given the current traffic situation
My favorite map app
Th first time iOS maps sent me to the wrong place, way out in the country somewhere, I couldn’t believe Apple had messed up. I sent Apple a message about what was wrong and expected them to fix it. Four times in six months I reminded them that they were wrong. Then they sent me a message that they had fixed the problem. I checked, they hadn’t. What I love best about Google maps is they tell you what lane to be in for the up coming turn. I don’t like that they only give you a two mile warning about your exit on the freeway/highway. If you’re in the wrong lane at 75 mph in heavy traffic, that’s not enough warning. iOS maps gives you more miles to play with, but that’s my only complaint so far. And they do show you an arrow so you can see which way you’ll be going, but I can’t see any of it with my sunglasses on. To keep slipping them down so I can see what’s coming and how soon while driving is both a pain and not safe. I wish they’d offer more info starting with 10 miles, then 5, then 2 or something...and do it verbally so I don’t have to play with my sunglasses or look down.
- Category: Navigation
- Updated: Nov 30, 2017
- Version: 4.41
- Size: 138 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Catalan, Chinese (Hong Kong), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: Google, Inc.
- © Google Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.