Google Play Books
By Google, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
With Google Play Books for iOS start reading today with millions of titles from Google Play on your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad. Take your favorite books with you on the go and personalize your reading experience. Shop books in your browser on Google Play.
Great Reading Experience
- Change font, search within the book, information about book
- Manage your library (archive books after reading)
- Night-reading mode
- Read books offline
- VoiceOver support
Discover Millions of Titles on Google Play
- Over 4 million books in every imaginable category, from the New York Times® bestsellers to favorite classics
- Millions of free books available instantly
- Free preview pages
- Unlimited storage of books in the digital cloud
- Worry-free archive
Syncs With Your Google Play books library
- Access all your books wirelessly from the digital cloud
- Automatic page position syncing across devices -- pick up reading where you left off.
What's New in Version 2.3
Matches are highlighted when searching in the book
Stability and performance enhancements
As a student and long-time user of the Kindle app, I was attracted to Google books because of the option of reading your books either as "flowing text" (which is to say as standard e-books, with adjustable font sizes and the ability to use your system's text-to-speech engine) or as "scanned pages," which look identical to the print version of the book (especially useful when you are writing academic papers, and would rather reference a page number than a Kindle location). Also there are many books available in the Play Store that are not available for Kindle. Unfortunately, the iOS app is garbage. First, downloading books is a pain. It takes several tries before finally downloading. Then opening and using the books is a downright nightmare. I've been trying for the last half forty-five minutes to open a book I just bought, and it's just not working. First it gives me a blank page with a spinwheel inside. Then finally text. But when I try to turn the page it crashes. Not cool, Google. You took my money, now I want to read my book. Please fix.
I downloaded this app primarily because it offered a textbook for $10 cheaper vs iTunes. Big mistake that turned out to be. I now need to repurchase that book because the most basic feature of this app - opening and reading a book, is essentially unusable. First problem is that the app never fully downloads a book. It gets stuck and re-downloads every time you open the app. Notes and highlighting - forget about it. User unfriendly interface makes it very difficult to click and highlight text. Moreover, you will lose your notes every time the book re-downloads. Google should do everyone a favor and cancel this failed app. Buyer beware!
Disappointing to say the least...
Where to begin? This app crashes often while reading. In the last hour I've had to restart it at least half a dozen times. It cuts off lines at the bottom of about every second or third page, leaving a person to wonder what is going on in the story being read. You have to adjust the font size to see these lines, but then a couple of pages later you have to adjust it again for the same reason. I spent money on a book that I am quickly getting too frustrated to read. Really expected better from Google.
- Category: Books
- Updated: May 01, 2015
- Version: 2.3
- Size: 19.4 MB
- Languages: English, Afrikaans, Arabic, Bulgarian, Catalan, Chinese, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: Google, Inc.
- © Google Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.