Google News organizes what’s happening in the world to help you learn more about the stories that matter to you.
With Google News, you’ll see:
Your briefing – It can be nearly impossible to keep up with every story you care about. With your briefing, easily stay in the know about what’s important and relevant to you. Your briefing updates throughout the day bringing you the top five stories you need to know, including local, national, and world content.
Full coverage – Understand the full context on any story with just a tap. Google News gives you everything online about a story and organizes it for you – highlighting different perspectives, a timeline of key events, FAQs, important people, and more.
Credible sources – Find quality content from a diverse set of credible publishers and discover sources you haven’t heard of before.
Stories, for you – Keep up with what’s happening on the topics you care about, whether that’s travel, politics, sports, tech, or fashion.
· Experience a more comfortable nighttime reading experience with the new dark theme
· Get live scores, the latest game highlights, and upcoming schedules for sports teams
· Quickly view up-to-date news with a new briefing widget in the Today View
· Improved support for the new iPad Pro
· More easily link and manage subscribed content
· Bug fixes and performance improvements
Ratings and Reviews
• no longer requires sign-in! : )
No longer requires sign-in to use the app. 5 stars for that alone, for now.
==> Still checking out the app; but just scrolling through the Headlines list of stories stutters badly on an iPhone 5s, even after turning off Auto-play Videos in the app’s own settings.
This app requires signing in from the start to see or do anything. That makes it a non-starter for us. (The previous “Google News” app, now removed from the App Store, does not require sign-in.) We keep seeing media articles elsewhere praising the supposed goodness of this replacement app, but they don’t mention that sign-in is required. So we foolishly keep coming back to check it out, several times now. Maybe having taken a moment to write this review, I’ll remember not to waste my time. Even if we were really willing to sign-in, not sure which of our various Google accounts we’d end up having to choose to use with this. Certainly not my own primary account, and we’re not willing to create yet another Google account at this point. (We haven’t tried out Google Assistant for the same reason.) After reading through the most recent, critical, detailed user reviews, we’re not sure we’d actually want to use this app anyway.
Fake headline suppression helpful
Hey Google, please make the hide sources accessible IN the article view.
No, I’m not a #fakenews conspiracy freak. Instead, I work for an org that regularly generates headlines. Certain content providers squeeze every drop of controversy/scandal out of our press releases (e.g. The Sun, Seeking Alpha) to, I assume, generate clicks. Since I’m on the inside and observe the press release composition process, I get to see both how hard our media people work to turn out honest, informative work and how far certain news “sources” go to twist that effort into misleading headlines.
It’s nice to punish this behavior by hiding such sources entirely, especially since it often appears these are the articles that Google News tends to *lead* with for any given story, which I assume has to do with the number of clicks they generate. This is possible in the headline browse view, but this is non-intuitive —i need to read an article before I decide I’ll never trust that source. Worse, hiding the source takes the whole story out of the list. That’s not the goal! The story may be worthy, and I may be able to find a reliable source under “View Full Coverage”, but the whole thing goes away when I hide the lead source.
Ruining a perfectly good app with “new & improved”
Google, are you listening? We all came to love your services for their simplicity and focus. What was wrong with the Google News app which I’ve loved for years? Why are you dumping its simplicity for this over-engineered under-thought product? More and more you are rolling out offerings which feel more like products of Apple or Facebook. If I wanted dumbed-down, bloated apps that make decisions for me I would not be coming to Google for a solution. Why does this app not have a dark or night mode? Why are the articles with their pics so large I can only sew a couple or a few on my phone at a time —how hard would it be to add a menu option for a condensed headlines view? If I needed a Apple news app view, I would use the Apple News app. This is Google Reader all over again —killing off your most-beloved products in leu of something that integrates features your fan base don’t care about while dumping those that do. It would not be hard to add a traditional or classic view to this app for those users who prefer the layout they’ve been using for years with the prior Google News app. I just deleted this app, and I’m not returning to it until you at least provide a sensible, condensed view free of clutter and massive article photos.
- Google LLC
- 122.3 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Afrikaans, Arabic, Belarusian, Bulgarian, Catalan, Chinese (Hong Kong), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malay, Norwegian, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese, Zulu
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- © 2018 Google, Inc
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.