Google News organizes what’s happening in the world to help you learn more about the stories that matter to you.
With Google News, you’ll see:
Your briefing – It can be nearly impossible to keep up with every story you care about. With your briefing, easily stay in the know about what’s important and relevant to you. Your briefing updates throughout the day bringing you the top five stories you need to know, including local, national, and world content.
Full coverage – Understand the full context on any story with just a tap. Google News gives you everything online about a story and organizes it for you – highlighting different perspectives, a timeline of key events, FAQs, important people, and more.
Credible sources – Find quality content from a diverse set of credible publishers and discover sources you haven’t heard of before.
Stories, for you – Keep up with what’s happening on the topics you care about, whether that’s travel, politics, sports, tech, or fashion.
· Add Siri Shortcuts for your favorite news sources
· Use Siri Shortcuts to easily navigate to frequently-used destinations
· We now provide users more information before requesting location and notification permissions
· We’ve improved how links open in the app
· Bug fixes and performance improvements
Ratings and Reviews
• no longer requires sign-in! : )
No longer requires sign-in to use the app. 5 stars for that alone, for now.
==> Still checking out the app; but just scrolling through the Headlines list of stories stutters badly on an iPhone 5s, even after turning off Auto-play Videos in the app’s own settings.
This app requires signing in from the start to see or do anything. That makes it a non-starter for us. (The previous “Google News” app, now removed from the App Store, does not require sign-in.) We keep seeing media articles elsewhere praising the supposed goodness of this replacement app, but they don’t mention that sign-in is required. So we foolishly keep coming back to check it out, several times now. Maybe having taken a moment to write this review, I’ll remember not to waste my time. Even if we were really willing to sign-in, not sure which of our various Google accounts we’d end up having to choose to use with this. Certainly not my own primary account, and we’re not willing to create yet another Google account at this point. (We haven’t tried out Google Assistant for the same reason.) After reading through the most recent, critical, detailed user reviews, we’re not sure we’d actually want to use this app anyway.
Too slow... gotta go
The improvements are great. I had deleted the previous version because it was unreliable - some features would just randomly not work. Though the new version doesn’t seem to have that issue...
I found myself waiting up to 30 seconds (or more) for an article to come up after I’d clicked on it. This is on a new phone, with the latest OS, often using WiFi at home. I tried with no other apps running - same thing. I’m surprised that no one else seems to mind the lag. Sometimes I only have 2 or 3 minutes to check the news. If I want to review more than 3 articles, It’s likely I’ll spend most of that time just standing there, staring at a processing icon. I don’t know about everyone else’s news reviewing habits, but to me, an app with this much lag time between articles is simply not useful. I’m better served using that time on email and waiting to do my news surfing on a computer. Or just using another app.
The Apple news app does not have this problem at all. If the speeds were the same, I’d prefer the Google news app; content and customization features are better. However, as is, I just can’t justify making the switch, as much as I’d like to - can’t afford the downtime. I’ll check it out again in another 6 months or so.
I switched from the CNN app and Twitter to get my news through here. I like the new “For You” tab. The interface is a lot cleaner and quicker if you just want curated news. I like that you can tap headlines and see latest news. It’s more national focused, while I have the curated one suited to my interests and local stuff. It’s a really nice way to see the news without other people’s opinions in the way. The new app is a lot cleaner and easier to use. As a student taking advanced classes it’s important for me to keep up with news and in general keep up with the news. The news has become a very important thing in my generation now. I think it’s important to know where you are getting your news from and this app does it right. It’s not just one source it’s many so you gain perspective.
- Google, Inc.
- 120.7 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Afrikaans, Arabic, Belarusian, Bulgarian, Catalan, Chinese (Hong Kong), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malay, Norwegian, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese, Zulu
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- © 2018 Google, Inc
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.