Google Play Newsstand
By Google, Inc.
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Google Play Newsstand is a personalized news reader that provides a single destination for browsing the topics, news sources, and magazines you care about.
Enjoy access to thousands of free and premium news sources, leading magazines, and specialized publications. Newsstand’s catalog includes The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Wired, The New Yorker, Quartz, Vox, Refinery29, People, Fast Company, Harper’s Bazaar, GQ, Vanity Fair, and much more…
Whether you want to quickly scan today’s headlines, or find in-depth articles, videos and podcasts about your personal interests, Google Play Newsstand saves you time by presenting personalized suggestions just for you, powered by Google’s recommendation engine.
Each recommendation includes a justification and an option for providing feedback. In this way, you always know why you are seeing a story, and you can easily tell Newsstand whether to continue showing you similar stories. In other words, it gets better the more you use it.
• Briefing - Get caught up in under a minute with a blend of top headlines, local news, and personal interests.
• For You - Feed your curiosity with a stream of personalized recommendations assembled just for you.
• Library - Stay on top of your favorite topics, sources and magazines by adding them to your library
• Explore - Dig into categories like Arts & Photography, Business & Finance, Food & Drink and more.
• Go Offline - Download any news edition, topic or magazine to read offline.
• Read Later - Save stories you don't have time to read now and go back to them later.
• Fast and efficient - Stories are formatted perfectly for your device.
What's New in Version 4.9
· You can now receive your personalized Newsstand daily briefing by email. Open Settings in the app to subscribe.
· The text size in articles can now be changed in the app.
We are always working to make the app faster and more stable. If you are enjoying the app, please consider leaving a review or rating!
Good changes, but it's too cluttered now.
Idk what changed in a recent update, but there’s are some things that are seriously bothering me. Swiping back to exit an article is much less responsive. I’m swiping from the left and it thinks I wanna scroll. It takes several tries and often the article has to be completely still before it will work.
Also, so many articles lately just display the website. I hate reading articles from the sources website! There’s always super intrusive ads, links to other articles in the middle of the one I’m reading, even auto playing videos that keep my music from playing! It’s so frustrating. It’s been fine until now. That is what attracted me to currents/newsstand in the first place. The content and pictures from articles was extracted and reformatted in a way that was uniform across all articles accessed thru the app, regardless of the source.
For a while I’ve been using this over Apple News. Unfortunately, there are still a few things Google needs to improve. However, overall it is a useful news app. The big bonus over Apple is that it can include local news - true local news, not just news from the nearest large city. It is mostly stable, and doesn’t crash often. It isn’t as fluid as Apple’s and works better on the Pixel phones (of course), but is helpful with the inclusion of local news.
If only they would do frequent updates and get close to Apple in terms of appearance (like supporting the iPhone X!).
Great news app
Great news app. Finds stories I'll like. Amount of news coverage is impressive. Especially when most apps don't even cover local news. 💯
- Category: News
- Updated: Oct 10, 2017
- Version: 4.9
- Size: 84.5 MB
- Languages: English, Afrikaans, Arabic, Belarusian, Bulgarian, Catalan, Chinese (Hong Kong), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malay, Norwegian, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese, Zulu
- Seller: Google, Inc.
- © 2017 Google, Inc
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.