Google app — Search made just for mobile
By Google, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The best of Google in one app. Say “Ok Google” and find everything from nearby restaurants to the calories in cheesecake. Google also shows you the info you need before you ask, like updates on your favorite teams and traffic alerts.
Talk instead of type:
• Say “Ok Google” then ask a question*
• Google will speak the answer aloud
Ask Google to help you do things:
• “What are good restaurants nearby?”
• “Where is my package?”
Get Google Now cards and notifications:
• Start your morning with weather, news & traffic
• Get updates on sports, movies & events
More about the Google app: http://www.google.com/search/about
* requires iPhone 4s or later
What's New in Version 17.0
We’ve made a number of improvements to help you get things done more quickly in the app.
• Revisit recent pages for 7 days — based on your feedback, recent pages and searches are now accessible longer. Try it by tapping the “recents” icon (found on the top right corner of the homepage, or to the right of the “G” button).
• Forward button — we’ve added a new forward button to help you quickly move back and forth between pages.
• Improved voice search — voice search now works better in noisy environments.
• Local search results for gas stations now include gas prices.
• Hotel search results now include information about amenities such as wifi, gym, pool, and laundry service.
No morning traffic alerts with latest update
Update, July 29, 2016:
The latest update of the app has made the morning traffic alerts go away for me. I don't have any info on traffic in the morning. The afternoon is fine and the alerts work as they should. Please fix this issue. I live in a metro area and depend on this app for updates about traffic.
I love this app and use it many times a day, every single day. I like the informative and accurate traffic updates, the news articles (although sometimes the same ones show over and over even when I make sure to mark "done"), the voice search, and the overall usefulness of the app. My only complaint is that every time I try to play a video using my Bluetooth headset, the Bluetooth connection drops. It works with other apps so I don't think it's an issue on my end. If that could be fixed, this would be a five star app. 😎👍
Hiccups In Dictation But Still Five Stars
This is a terrific app which I recommend without reservation. Google struggles with its dictation, with accuracy far below that of Apple's own service. Worse, it will cut you off in the middle of your query, or remain listening long after you are done speaking. The workaround is simple enough: tap the query field once to bring up the keyboard and use Apple Dictation for your query.
Despite this minor issue, this is still an must-have app that deserves to be on the front page of your mobile device.
Over persistent Now cards
You can tap "Done with this story", but the same card/news story keeps coming back. A swipe will remove the card too. But the App does not understand that "Done" means "Done". (I've given feedback to Google, but the problem persists unfixed.)
I'm now downgrading this app to 1 star. Why? It now persists in saying 'no stories available, come back soon' (paraphrasing).
Earlier it presented a nice listing of stories/cards that I was interested in, but didn't have time to read. The app no longer displays those cards or anything else. In the past I've loved what Google provides. (In fact I bought stock in Google.) But I'm very disappointed now. Recommendation: don't use.
- Category: Utilities
- Updated: Jul 27, 2016
- Version: 17.0
- Size: 92.4 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: Google, Inc.
- © 2016 Google Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.