• Text translation: Translate between 103 languages by typing
• Offline: Translate with no internet connection (59 languages)
• Instant camera translation: Translate text in images instantly by just pointing your camera (38 languages)
• Photos: Take or import photos for higher quality translations (50 languages)
• Conversations: Translate bilingual conversations on the fly (32 languages)
• Handwriting: Draw text characters instead of typing (93 languages)
• Phrasebook: Star and save translated words and phrases for future reference (all languages)
• Microphone for speech translation
• Camera for translating text via the camera
• Photos for importing photos from your library
Translations between the following languages are supported:
Afrikaans, Albanian, Amharic, Arabic, Armenian, Azerbaijani, Basque, Belarusian, Bengali, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Catalan, Cebuano, Chichewa, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Corsican, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Esperanto, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, Frisian, Galician, Georgian, German, Greek, Gujarati, Haitian Creole, Hausa, Hawaiian, Hebrew, Hindi, Hmong, Hungarian, Icelandic, Igbo, Indonesian, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Javanese, Kannada, Kazakh, Khmer, Korean, Kurdish (Kurmanji), Kyrgyz, Lao, Latin, Latvian, Lithuanian, Luxembourgish, Macedonian, Malagasy, Malay, Malayalam, Maltese, Maori, Marathi, Mongolian, Myanmar (Burmese), Nepali, Norwegian, Pashto, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Samoan, Scots Gaelic, Serbian, Sesotho, Shona, Sindhi, Sinhala, Slovak, Slovenian, Somali, Spanish, Sundanese, Swahili, Swedish, Tajik, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Urdu, Uzbek, Vietnamese, Welsh, Xhosa, Yiddish, Yoruba, Zulu
• Fixed an issue that prevented the Clear Translation History button from functioning.
• Take a picture to translate more languages: Arabic, Bengali, Gujarati, Hindi, Kannada, Malayalam, Marathi, Nepali, Punjabi, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Vietnamese.
• Fixed camera availability for Hebrew
Ratings and Reviews
Accessibility for Instructional Design
Google Translate is now a form of augmented reality and is adapted for educational purposes. This application provides users with tools to translate between languages and they now include an image option; users take a photograph of a sign, piece of paper, or other form of written text and receive a translation in the language of their choice. This augmented reality is ground breaking because this allows online learners to access content in other languages. The application also translates spoken word in real time, which allows all learners to access audio in written form, in their own language, online or in-person.
This version of augmented reality that is adapted for education can be utilized in an online learning environment and can be utilized by instructional designers. One of the major challenges with instructional design is selecting the correct tools to build learning experiences. With this application, instructional designers are able to create a course in their own language and can make their lesson accessible to learners by recommending Google Translate for accessibility. I plan to utilize this in conjunction with my online lessons and videos in order to reach more students with diverse abilities and primary languages.
I use many different languages throughout each day, usually just little phrases here and there in my writing. This app is indispensable to me as I work, and the translations seem to just get better and better with each update. I’ve read a few of the negative reviews, and while I’m sure the inconveniences described by these folks are real, it also seems they me be expecting a bit too much. The app is very straightforward in its basic function of translating text that is input by the user. The app is also by Google, and thus it is highly aspirational in its features, and each update seems to bring further enhancements that may or may not be truly useful. I understand how this might get frustrating, but that’s just Google’s style. Eventually the kinks get worked out based on user feedback, which is how I think it should be. As far as a basic free translation app, this one is far and away the best.
Terrible design - using the browser version is better
I installed this because I frequently use the browser version in Google to translate between English and French and I thought the app would be more convenient. Took me less than a minute to see the flaws in it. It's a horribly designed app - for example, in the browser version you can "switch" the languages around to make the destination language the source language. This is really helpful if, for example, you wish to practice making sentences in a language and then switch them around to compare your sentence to how Google translates it. In the app, there is a switch button but it switches the TEXT between windows instead of just switching which is source and which is destination - so my French sentence goes into the English window and vice versa, meaning they don't get translated.
This is either a really stupid bug or an inexcusable design flaw, and to be honest it's entirely what I've come to expect from Google software. There are ALWAYS really stupid bugs and oversights which people complain about for years but which they never fix. Oh well, uninstalling it now.
- Google LLC
- 75.1 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Albanian, Arabic, Armenian, Azerbaijani, Bengali, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Cambodian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, Georgian, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Kazakh, Korean, Laotian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Malay, Malayalam, Mongolian, Nepali, Norwegian, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Simplified Chinese, Singhalese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Tamil, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Urdu, Vietnamese, Welsh
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2018 Google Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.