By Google, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Break through language barriers with Google Translate.
• Translate 90 languages
• Converse naturally and let Google translate
• Translate with your voice, camera, keyboard or handwriting
• Star your favorite translations for quick access even when you’re offline
• View dictionary results for single words or phrases
Translations between the following languages are supported:
Afrikaans, Albanian, Arabic, Armenian, Azerbaijani, Basque, Belarusian, Bengali, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Catalan, Cebuano, Chichewa, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Esperanto, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, Galician, Georgian, German, Greek, Gujarati, Haitian Creole, Hausa, Hebrew, Hindi, Hmong, Hungarian, Icelandic, Igbo, Indonesian, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Javanese, Kannada, Kazakh, Khmer, Korean, Lao, Latin, Latvian, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Malagasy, Malay, Malayalam, Maltese, Maori, Marathi, Mongolian, Myanmar (Burmese), Nepali, Norwegian, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Sesotho, Sinhala, Slovak, Slovenian, Somali, Spanish, Sundanese, Swahili, Swedish, Tajik, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Urdu, Uzbek, Vietnamese, Welsh, Yiddish, Yoruba, Zulu
Novosibirsk Metro image by Wikipedia user Sskz, used per the CC-BY-SA 3.0 license, https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/.
What's New in Version 3.3.0
• Improved stability. Fixed crash bugs.
• Improved support for the VoiceOver screen reader.
• Word Lens: Just point your camera to a sign or text and the Translate app will instantly translate the text, even without Internet/data connection. Currently available in: English ⇄ French, English ⇄ German, English ⇄ Italian, English ⇄ Portuguese, English ⇄ Russian, English ⇄ Spanish.
• Camera Mode: Snap a photo, highlight the text, and get a translation. Currently available in 36 languages.
• Automatic language detection in speech/conversation mode - start translating with speech input and Translate will recognize which of the two languages is being spoken, allowing you to have a more fluid conversation with another person.
Much room for improvement
Google needs to make it much easier for real users to provide it feedback on accuracy easily within the app. Many reviews show bad translation performance which would lead to improvement if it were reported on a per-use basis. Also, I found that translations could benefit from greater disambiguation, contextualization, and categorization. For example, slang should be labeled as such. I don't believe that the verb for "park" in Spanish should be given as "parquear" as that is a Spanglish term. I would agree that it should be included, but it should be labeled as slang. I would think that Google seeks to perfect translation, but that is not apparent in how this app is executed.
This keeps getting better and better - word lens is something out of a Star Trek movie!
I use this all the time when traveling now. In Romania I could snap a photo of a menu and then get a translation. Having the device speak to a Chinese taxi driver in his language was incredibly useful.
Word lens - I am still amazed by how well this works. Point it at a poster , menu or road sign etc and the words are translated.
Really good, but as usual needs some polishing.
I'm so glad to have an app that allows me to be able to understand what other people say in a different language, but I was wondering if it could do a little better with Dutch?
I tried to check if it was good with a friend of mine(she is Dutch), and when I wrote a sentence and showed it to her, she said it was completely inaccurate.
I understand not many languages have direct translations from English to them.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Mar 19, 2015
- Version: 3.3.0
- Size: 24.6 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Catalan, Chinese, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: Google, Inc.
- © 2015 Google Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.