By Google, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
• Text translation: Translate between 103 languages by typing
• Offline: Translate with no internet connection (52 languages)
• Instant camera translation: Translate text in images instantly by just pointing your camera (30 languages)
• Photos: Take or import photos for higher quality translations (37 languages)
• Conversations: Translate bilingual conversations on the fly (32 languages)
• Handwriting: Draw text characters instead of typing (93 languages)
• Phrasebook: Star and save translated words and phrases for future reference (all languages)
• Microphone for speech translation
• Camera for translating text via the camera
• Photos for importing photos from your library
Translations between the following languages are supported:
Afrikaans, Albanian, Amharic, Arabic, Armenian, Azerbaijani, Basque, Belarusian, Bengali, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Catalan, Cebuano, Chichewa, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Corsican, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Esperanto, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, Frisian, Galician, Georgian, German, Greek, Gujarati, Haitian Creole, Hausa, Hawaiian, Hebrew, Hindi, Hmong, Hungarian, Icelandic, Igbo, Indonesian, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Javanese, Kannada, Kazakh, Khmer, Korean, Kurdish (Kurmanji), Kyrgyz, Lao, Latin, Latvian, Lithuanian, Luxembourgish, Macedonian, Malagasy, Malay, Malayalam, Maltese, Maori, Marathi, Mongolian, Myanmar (Burmese), Nepali, Norwegian, Pashto, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Samoan, Scots Gaelic, Serbian, Sesotho, Shona, Sindhi, Sinhala, Slovak, Slovenian, Somali, Spanish, Sundanese, Swahili, Swedish, Tajik, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Urdu, Uzbek, Vietnamese, Welsh, Xhosa, Yiddish, Yoruba, Zulu
What's New in Version 5.11.0
• Several bug fixes and usability improvements
Accurate translations... to an extent.
I've been using the English to Chinese translation to help learn certain words and characters, but I've come to notice that direct translations can only get you so far. The differences in grammar and sentence structure for languages prevents any app from seamlessly transforming something from one language to another. Also, you may get a different translation depending on the structure of your input phrase, so make sure that the translation you receive is in the correct tense and word form.
Flaws aside, this app does have a really useful feature that allows you to access languages offline (through a download) as well as save certain word/phrase translations. However, if you save too many different translations, it becomes difficult to manage, as there is no way to organize the translations. They are simply sorted according to the order in which they were saved. It would be extremely helpful to be able to organize them alphabetically or manually.
Could use some improvements
I use Google Translate a lot, and in the past it's been pretty useful. However, there's room for improvement.
First of all, I think there should be a wider variety of languages and dialects. I find it very annoying that I can't translate Certain languages to other certain languages.
Second of all, whenever I translate certain foreign words to English, the translation is Wrong. For instance, I've tried multiple times to translate the Bulgarian word 'Български' (transliteration: Bulgarski, translation: Bulgarian) to English, it said it meant 'English'. Obviously, something isn't right. And I, several times, have translated 'The Squad Goes out' in English to Hebrew, but the Hebrew translation says 'The Class is Dismissed'. Please fix it.
And I've noticed that when I type in 'Deus Vult', which is Latin for 'God Wills', it doesn't translate from Latin. It translates from Portuguese. Fix this.
Spoken translating needs more delay
When I speak in German to have it translated to English sometimes I have to think for a second of the word I want but it assumes I'm finished and translates an incomplete sentence. Very annoying. I think they need to put a longer delay on it so it doesn't translate it after 0.5 seconds of silence. If we spoke a second language perfectly we wouldn't be using the app or needing to pause for a second to think of the word. An easy fix which many would find very valuable. Or an even better fix is to have an option to simply turn automatic translation off. This way when the user is finished he/she can hit translate and voilà.
Otherwise this app is really awesome and does a great job.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Jun 27, 2017
- Version: 5.11.0
- Size: 60.6 MB
- Languages: English, Albanian, Arabic, Armenian, Azerbaijani, Bengali, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Cambodian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, Georgian, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Kazakh, Korean, Laotian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Malay, Malayalam, Mongolian, Nepali, Norwegian, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Simplified Chinese, Singhalese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Tamil, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Urdu, Vietnamese, Welsh
- Seller: Google, Inc.
- © 2017 Google Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.