By The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Gospel Library is the gospel study app of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The library includes the scriptures, general conference addresses, music, learning and teaching manuals, Church magazines, videos, audio recordings, gospel art, and more. Study, search, mark, and share this vast collection.
What's New in Version 3.4.13
Fixed an issue causing the app to crash on iOS 6.
Teacher's point of view
I love this app. I love having access to everything on my device. I am giving three stars because I am writing this review from the point of view of teaching using my iPad. I currently teach Gospel doctrine and about half of the words in the lesson I am not allowed to highlight. I used to love teaching with my iPad, but I am handicapped so much that it gets extremely frustrating trying to use the Gospel Library app to teach because I am not allowed to highlight the questions I want to ask and the Scriptures I want to read. We need to be able to highlight and make notes on anything in the lesson, including the lesson or talk summary at the very beginning of the lesson or talk. This needs to be made possible with the next version. Honestly, I miss the old Gospel Library that included your comments within the text. But with the ability to highlight in different colors, I am able to find my comments on the side, if I was actually allowed to highlight and make comments on the portion of the text that I want to use. My last lesson, I ended up having to copy large portions of the lesson and put them in the notes with my comments to use, since I was unable to highlight most of what I wanted to discuss in the lesson. As I said, this is very frustrating and adds a large amount of time required to prepare my lesson.
Saving user information and downloading data
I give it 2 stars in hopes of getting the developers attention on some thugs that need tweaking.
Now it's nice to have all the bells and whistles like high-lighting versus and saving notes, but are we really going to have all that info saved when another later version of this app comes out??? I hope so...so that all the highlighted versus and notes I saved are still there.
My other big issue is why is it that the app is always using some form of data?! If you don't believe me, then look at the example pictures of the app in the App Store. EVERY picture has the indication that it's downloading something. And it's doing it all the time while you're using the app. What is it downloading?? It's draining my battery and I don't know what it's downloading.
My suggestion is make it, in the words of a great man, "simplify it". That way we won't forget the scripture while we are waiting for the app to load what scriptures are in the BoM. I like it, but make it faster by cutting out the un-nessessaries. Otherwise I'll start marking my paper copy scriptures and delete this app.
Update: Still a great app, and of course the price is right ;-). It's still improving, albeit more slowly now. To me, the greatest weakness is still the first one I list below and that others have identified: there is important text such as lessons, headers, the Topical Guide, etc. that can't be highlighted, have notes added, linked, etc. I wish this could be fixed.
The newest version is well done, a great improvement. It's functionality is starting to approach that of the expensive private-party apps. Don't buy those; they're clearly on their way out and this will replace them.
There's still room for improvement:
- Please allow markup, links, adding notes, etc. on words that aren't part of the scriptures, talks, etc. themselves. For example, being able to link to and from the Topical Gide would be very helpful; it's a great way to organize and find additional scriptures and talks, etc. on specific topics. Adding notes to headers is needed at times, as well.
- If you made links (footnotes) instantly occur in both directions, that would be something even the expensive private apps don't have.
- The new search capability seems more powerful; now if it had the ability to search notes, our journal entries, etc. that would be great. Also, filtering and categorizing results would be useful.
Thank you, developers; keep up the good work!
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Oct 14, 2015
- Version: 3.4.13
- Size: 59.7 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Filipino, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- © 2016 by Intellectual Reserve, Inc. All rights reserved.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.