By Janice Garingo
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Visit Governors Island in New York Harbor with an information-packed app.
Who wants an interactive map of New York’s most enchanting new park?
What is there to do and see on Governors Island?
When did the historic old buildings go up?
Where are the restrooms?
Why did the U.S. sell the island to New York for $1?
How do I get there?
Governors Island is a former military base in New York Harbor. It is a public park and recreation area, as well as the Governors Island National Monument (U.S. National Park Service). The Governors Island Explorer’s Guide shows you the history and the recreation options available to visitors. The app has more than 80 historic locations with detailed descriptions of each one. It has an interactive map of the entire 172-acre island with GPS locations.
The app is for anyone who wants to find an ice cream cone, or locations tied to the Civil War. It has a detailed 200-year history of the island, as well as practical information for concertgoers and daytrippers.
Created by New Amsterdam Apps & Maps, this is the first app for Governors Island and one with a deep knowledge of the park.
The app features:
- Fully interactive map: Want to know where to find bike rentals, bathrooms, and old cannons? We'll show you!
- GPS location technology: Don’t get lost in an old fort, we’ll find you!
- Concertgoer information: Attending an all-day music festival? The app tells you what to expect from security, food & drink rules, transportation options, and much more. This will save you time and money.
- The Governors Island story: We’ll tell you everything, from the Dutch exploration in 1624 to the day 50 Cent hit the island.
- Explore the National Monument: The National Park Service recently arrived, learn about historic Fort Jay and Castle Williams.
- Stunning Governors Island photos: Hundreds of photos that show off the island’s beauty and history.
This is the most comprehensive app and map ever created for Governors Island put together by a licensed New York City Sightseeing Guide. Before you get on the ferry to the island, let us show you the places to visit, and when you’re off the boat, get ready for a fantastic adventure with the Governors Island Explorer’s Guide.
Governors Island Explorer’s Guide:
It would take a weekend to read all the content this app provides about Governors Island. All of the landmark locations and a full history of the island plus an interactive map that shows the locations of bathrooms and bike rides. If you are going to Governors Island, this app is essential.
A must have
Great App! It's certainly a must for anyone that wants to visit Governors Island! I wish I had this when my Mom came for a visit. Your also able to easily find an excellent picnic spot.
Great content. Needs update for new park.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Travel
- Released: May 25, 2011
- Version: 1.0
- Size: 6.8 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Janice Garingo
- © 2011 New Amsterdam Apps & Maps Co.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.