GPS Hiker is a great and free application for outdoor activities. It supports GPS track logging, GPX file import/export and offline maps (Open Street Map, Open Cycle Map, Hike Bike and Custom Map Image) download and viewing. Camera, twitter and email features are integrated as well.
While in the outdoors and without cellular service, you can display currently logging tracks and previously logged tracks made by other parties simultaneously on the offline map to make sure you are on the right track. Photos taken during the logging session can be displayed on the map and saved for later use. You can also follow the previously logged track to assist your navigation and check the mileage and altitude information for reference.
GPS Hiker is proudly field-tested at Mission Peak, Fremont, CA, USA.
• GPS status (location, speed, heading, altitude) display.
• GPS logging & real-time trip information (time, distance, altitude gain/loss. ...) update.
• Tracks and marks are stored in the standard GPX format.
• You can manually add GPX files to the application via iTune File Sharing.
• Import GPX file you download from community websites and display its tracks and marks on map.
• Simultaneously display current track logged by yourself and imported track logged by others on map to make sure you are on the right track.
• Follow the track of the imported trip to assist your navigation.
• Photo Marks: photos taken during the trip will be displayed on the map. Title and description can be added to photos.
• Press-To-Find: long-press on the main map to find EveryTrail trips within the visual range of the map.
• Press-To-Mark: long-press anywhere on the main map to create marks for your trip.
• Multiple color and transparency options to display imported tracks on the map.
• Support online maps and offline maps (Open Street Map, Open Cycle Map, Hike Bike and custom map image).
• Trip Analysis allows you walk through the imported tracks in minutes and learn the related mileage, altitude and time information.
• Trail log to record your hiking activities.
• Interactive Altitude Profile Viewer.
• Universal Locate button to locate current location, last mark, current trip and imported trip.
• GPS switch allows user to switch off GPS, when not in use, to save battery power.
• Support WGS84-UTM, WGS84-DMS, WGS84-DEG, TWD67-TM2, TWD97-TM2 coordinate formats.
• Take geo-tagged photos with the built-in camera function.
• Email your trip to friends after the trip is done.
• TweetMark: Tweet your current location and last-taken photo (within 3 minutes) to Twitter.
• GPS tracking continues to work in the background while you listen to music or use another application.
• Support QR code to download trips.
• This application may continue to use GPS in the background, which can dramatically decrease battery life.
• You need to connect your iOS device with iTunes and enable the Application File Sharing feature to add GPX files and custom map images to the application or to retrieve the GPX files for your trips.
• This application is not intended for precise navigation. Please use it with good judgement and at user's own risk.
1. Add support for Taiwan Ru Map and ThunderForest Outdoors Map.
2. Temporarily remove support for Taiwan Topo Map.
3. Bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
don’t require GPS Always
gps waste battery, pls turn off “always”
App is now practically useless
Recently, AllTrails purchased EveryTrail, which this app was integrated with. When I opened this app today to prepare for an upcoming hike, it could no longer find the previous "Trips" saved by past users. The park we are going to is one of the most popular state parks in our state, so should've had some existing trails already saved. I then searched the Great Smoky Mountains, which we've used this app to hike in before, and it still wouldn't bring up past user Trips. I assume this is a result of AllTrails purchasing EveryTrail and AllTrails requires a yearly subscription to save offline maps. Being able to pull up saved trails created by past users allowed us to monitor our progress along those trails. It's nearly impossible to be able to do that for free. Without that capability, this app has become useless to us. I suppose it will still record your own progress when hiking, but there are a ton of apps out there that will do that.
Nice but unreliable
I've used this app for the past few years and it's nice that you can put your phone in airplane mode but about half of the time it will lose signal and not track you accurately. Great for a free app but the location services could use some tweaking.
- Jason Chiu
- 8.2 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2012-18 GPS Hiker from Jason Chiu
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.