By Erwin Bonsma
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
GrandPerspective is a small utility application that graphically shows the disk usage within a file system. It can help you to manage your disk, as you can easily spot which files and folders take up the most space.
Disk usage is visualised using tree maps. Each file is shown as a rectangle with an area proportional to the file's size. Files in the same folder appear together.
Configurable display of views:
• Color files by their: name, extension, file type, parent folder, top folder, level in the folder hierarchy, creation time, modification time, or last access time
• Choice of color palettes
• Configurable mapping by file type
• Optionally view package contents
• Optionally view the entire volume
Convenient navigation of views:
• Traverse up and down the folder hierarchy
• Select files and folders in the view
• Preview files using Quick Look
• Reveal files and folders in Finder
• Delete files and folders from the view
Filter files and folders:
• Construct filter tests based an item's name, path, size, file type, hard-link status, and package status
• Filters and filter tests are automatically stored in the user preferences
Use these filters to:
• Mask files in the view
• Filter files from the view
• Exclude files and folders when scanning a disk
Multiple view support:
• Re-scan a view to compare results before and after clean-up
• Twin or duplicate a view for different displays of the same data
Support for hard-linked files and folders:
• Analyse Time Machine back-ups
Save results of disk scanning operations:
• Save, reload and view again at any time
• Save images of views
Snappy and responsive GUI:
• Optimized drawing of views
• Drawing and scanning are carried out in background threads
• Configurable user preferences
• Small memory and disk footprint
• Extensive help documentation
What's New in Version 1.9.1
• Now requiring Mac OS 10.9 or higher
• Ability to preview selected items using Quick Look
• Reset zoom and focus via toolbar controls
• Visualization of (estimated) progress while scanning
• Added "How to determine what is taking up miscellaneous used space"
• Added "How to scan packages"
• Added "How to explain differences in reported sizes"
• Various minor updates
• Fixed: Dock icon does not accept drag and drop
• Fixed: Assertion failure when load of scan tree was cancelled
• Fixed: The Uniform Type Ranking window did not always open again after it had been closed
• Fixed: Let Escape key close Filter Selection Panel, Welcome Window, and Filters Window
• Fixed: When the free size reported by the system was not fully accurate, the miscellaneous used space was incorrectly set to a huge value
• Fixed: Using the same filter more than once failed because of an assert failure
• Fixed: Rescan did not work on views created by filtering an existing view
• Fixed: The filter description in the Filter window was not always updated when the selected filter view changed
Have used GrandPerspective many times over the years to help carve out free disk space in a pinch.
The interface has changed little over the years, which speaks to the quality of the original design: fast, solid, and straightforward. GrandPerspective does one important thing and does it well.
no Bells and whistles - it Just Works!
I’ve used GP for a number of years. I’ve bought other similar apps in the past, and keep coming back to GP. I’m glad I can support the developer. Keep up the good work, for a something that does the job.
I’ve been using this app for a long time. Great to see it in the App Store. Don’t even hesitate, just buy it.