Green Trails Maps Digital Map Viewer and Mapp Store. It combines all the detail and accuracy that has made our recreation topographic maps famous with the Iphones scrolling, zooming, GPS capabilities. Use the Iphones GPS to find and track your position while hiking, biking, or horse back riding the trails! Once a MAP is installed on your Iphone no cell/wifi connection is required- perfect for the backcountry.
Login and Signup
Ratings and Reviews
Works for me
I love green trail maps, I own almost all the paper versions as well. The app works great for me using my iPhone 7. I don’t know how the GPS receiver on a phone compares to something like a dedicated handheld Garmin hiking GPS unit. But in my experience I have had great accuracy using this app in medium dense forest and open terrain. the app puts me clearly on the map so I know exactly where I am which really helps. The maps look phenomenal too. Way better than any Garmin gps map lol. Plus my phones screen is much nicer and the touch capabilities while moving the map around are great. I’ve had no problems with this newer app over the past 3 months and am very happy to see my paper maps in digital form layered over google maps for great views of the terrain.
Maps are great, app is terrible
It looks like the app has had a major overhaul, but I'm sad to say it's still really bad.
- Crashes regularly
- Loses your maps when major app updates come out. Better check the app at home before you go hiking or you'll find yourself at the trailhead without cell service and without maps.
- Restoring previously purchased apps doesn't work: you have to redownload them one by one
- Only displays one map at a time; if you want to see the adjoining map you have to hit the "recycle" button to switch
- UI design is deeply terrible
- Still the weird "search by list" and "search by index" -- how about "by name" vs "by location"?
- searching by name is broken: doesn't do partial name matching. Search for "Mt Si" doesn't find the map because the map name has two spaces between Mt and Si.
- Map files are enormous: with the "index" map and 3 maps downloaded, it's using 5GB of storage. Of course detail is valuable but maybe a different image file format would save space?
- The information from the back of the maps does not seem to be available.
The Green Trails maps themselves are fantastic and so I'm still using the app but beware before you start...
Thank you for the feedback. We are actively working to improve the GTM MAPP and your concerns are helpful Identifying areas for improvement. We will be releasing a new version soon. Happy Trails!
Annoying almost to the point of uselessness
The poor UI and lack of directions have been bad. Today there was a new twist. When I arrived at the trailhead and opened the app, there was a dialogue asking me to update the app. It would not work until I updated, so I wasted time and data with poor reception to update. When I restarted the app, it had deleted all the maps I had bought. It knew I had bought them, but wanted me to download them again. Downloading a 1.7 gigabyte map would have used most of my cellular data for the month. Doing it on a weak cellular connection would have taken hours. It is like green trails is intentionally trying to be the worst app possible.
- Green Trails Inc.
- 142.9 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2010-2017 Green Trails Inc
- In-App Purchases
- Snoqualmie Pass, WA $1.99
- Stevens Pass, WA $0.99
- Lake Kachess, WA $0.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.