The Guardian and Observer Daily Edition app beautifully re-imagines the newspaper for the iPad. Each issue showcases our comprehensive international reporting, thoughtful commentary, award-winning sports journalism and unique approach to culture, science, the environment, media and technology coverage.
- New editions every day of the week including all content from the main sections of the Guardian and Observer newspapers
- On Saturday, Weekend magazine, the Guide and the Sport, Cultural Review, Travel, Family, Money and Work sections are all included along with the main section of the paper
- On Sunday, the Observer's news sections, Sport, New Review and Magazine all appear weekly, with Observer Food and Tech Monthly magazines included once each month
- Crosswords: Quick and Cryptic puzzles every day, including the Prize cryptic on Saturday and the Speedy and Everyman puzzles with the Observer on Sunday
- Full compatibility with Apple’s Newsstand service - background downloading of every issue so it's ready for you when you want it
- Copy and select text or look up words using Apple’s inbuilt dictionary
- Editions from the last month available in the archive
- All article and picture content downloaded for reading offline
- Stunning photojournalism and full screen cartoons
- In-article image galleries and interactive graphics
- Video embedded in articles viewable when online
- Share stories via Facebook, Twitter, Instapaper, Google+ and email
- Swipe to navigate between sections or stories
- Related articles within the edition highlighted
- Related online articles open in an in-app browser
The Guardian and Observer Daily Edition is free for a limited period then available via one of our monthly auto-renewable subscriptions:
- £11.99 for full seven-day access, saving over 25% compared with separate Guardian and Observer digital subscriptions
- £9.99 for Monday to Saturday (Guardian) issues only
- £6.99 for Sunday (Observer) issues only
- Payment will be charged to your iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase
- Your subscription will automatically renew unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period
- Your account will be charged for renewal within the 24 hours prior to the end of the current period, at the same cost as your chosen subscription
- You can manage your subscription via your iTunes account and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to Account Settings after purchase
- No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during the active subscription period
- Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to the Guardian and Observer iPad edition
- The Guardian reserves the right to alter the pricing at any point
Please note - while Apple's Family Sharing feature can be used to share apps between up to six family members, it does not support the sharing of in-app purchases (as described in https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203046). This includes the auto-renewable subscriptions to the Guardian and Observer offered within this app, and you will therefore not be able to share any subscriptions purchased via iTunes Store with family members. If you have any questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org who will be able to advise you further.
- Terms and conditions: http://www.theguardian.com/help/terms-of-service
We listened to your feedback and re-introduced the section page numbers in the top header.
Ratings and Reviews
App gets more annoying
Now when you scroll down, the article you happen to touch opens. Close it, try to scroll again, close the article you have inadvertently opened again. Eventually you get down the page but should it be this hard ? The grouping of articles and hiding them behind a plus sign seems to me just basic poor design, aren’t apps meant to be intuitive ? Finally, the download speed, always irritating, never improves. Approx 20 secs to update the nytimes (which does have its own issues). 10 mins on the same WiFi for the guardian daily. Excellent paper, bad app
Crossword is awful
I love the newspaper. I love the journalism. I even love the crossword. So, the 2 stars is posted in a fit of pique because I can’t believe that after all this time and effort they’ve spent prettifying the app they haven’t sorted out the dismal functionality of the crossword. It can’t be that difficult to sort out and it’s not as if they haven’t been told.
Great app for a terrific news outlet
The Guardian app downloads the entire content of the web-based edition of The Guardian on a daily basis, rather than presenting an interface to an online edition. This means that you can take it with you, rather than needing a wifi connection to access it. In the event of updates, the entire issue is updated. This is a bit of a bother at times, but necessary to achieve the degree of portability.
Content is well organized on the app and there are links to related content on the Guardian website, allowing you to delve deeper into a topic or explore its background.
Guardian journalism is first-rate, giving readers a view of the world available in no US daily publication, not even the NY Times. And the subscription price, through the ITunes store, is extremely reasonable.
- Guardian News & Media Ltd
- 40.2 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- © 2017, Guardian News & Media Limited or its affiliated companies. All rights reserved.
- In-App Purchases
- Sixday $12.99
- Everyday $15.99
- Sunday (add on) $1.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.