GV Connect - Call & SMS for Google Voice
By Andreas Amann
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
GV Connect is the most feature-complete Google Voice application available for your iPhone or iPad — text, call, and interact with your existing GV accounts using a beautiful and streamlined interface that gives you full control over your account settings:
• Place calls using your Google Voice number rather than your mobile number - enter number directly, select a contact from your device's contacts, or call back any number in your history. The application supports direct call (iPhone only), callback, and offline calling (see application website for a description of these calling modes)
• Send and receive text messages (SMS) from your Google Voice number - including support for long SMS, group messages, picture messages (MMS – available as In-App purchase), and support for non-English messages. Supports in-line replies with an iMessage-like interface
• Automatically check for new messages and voicemails - even when the application is in the background
• Listen to voicemails and recorded conversations right on your device (allowing you to pause, rewind, or fast forward to any point within the message) - voicemails will show the transcription of the message when available
• Un/-archive messages, mark them as un-/read or starred, attach notes to conversations, block/unblock senders, trash or delete conversations
• Easily search in your history by contact, message, or note text - supports continuing searches online for messages that have not yet been cached locally
• Messages are stored on your device for offline access
• Quickly change various Google Voice account settings (call forwarding, do-not-disturb — including the option to have DND automatically expire at a specified time, message notifications, …)
• Add, verify, and remove forwarding phone numbers
• Quick Settings allow saving and restoring complete account settings (DND, forwarding, …) for easy switching between different profiles
• Support for automatic selection of Quick Settings based on current location (available as In-App Purchase)
• Direct access to your device's contacts without needing to synchronize them with Google
• Quick access to favorite phone numbers for calls and SMS
• Universal application which runs optimized on iPhone (including iPhone 6/6 Plus), iPod Touch, and iPad (including split-screen multi-tasking on supported devices running iOS 9 or later)
• Optional application passcode lock (with TouchID option on supported devices)
• Supports gesture navigation when typing text for easier placement of the cursor: swipe left/right with one or two fingers to move the caret position backwards/forward by character or word. Swipe left/right with three fingers to go to the beginning/end of the existing text
• Supports TextExpander touch snippet expansion including support for fill-in snippets
* Recipient of an honorable mention in the 2010 Best App Ever Awards *
NOTE: An existing Google Voice account with a GV phone number is required to use this application - signup for new Google Voice accounts is currently limited to residents of the US. Please note that GV Connect is NOT a VoIP application and will not allow making or receiving calls from an iPad/iPod Touch without a separate VoIP application.
GV Connect stores your account password securely in your device's Keychain for faster login when launching the application. All communication is done exclusively via secure connections (SSL) to the Google Voice servers owned and operated by Google and no contact information (other than the contact's phone number which is required to place a call or send a message) is sent to Google or any other party. All operations are fully synchronized with your Google Voice account.
Please read the FAQ section on the application website if you encounter any issues or use the feedback email link in its about screen to ask for support.
What's New in Version 3.0.2
• Add option to attach current clipboard image (if present) to an outgoing message. This allows pasting images from various image keyboard (e.g., Bitmoji) into messages
• Fix issue with "Send" button for conversation replies not always being enabled correctly (e.g., with TextExpander installed but disabled in the Settings)
• Fix issue where the application would generate repeated new message sound alerts
• Add entry for MMS Support to the Settings to improve discoverability
• Various stability improvements based on user-submitted crash reports
By the way, App Store reviews are very helpful – reviews get reset with every update. If you like GV Connect, we would greatly appreciate if you could take a few minutes and leave a nice review. Thanks for using GV Connect!
Time-tested; loaded with features
GV Connect has stood the test of time and its developer hasn't grown tired of supporting the app. Nor has he forced long-time users to buy new versions of the same app to get new features or that support new iOS releases and I appreciate that. This app has numerous options that occasionally require trial & error to achieve the desired result, but I'd rather have more options than less. There's a limitation related to real-time push alerting that can be worked around somewhat by using SMS notification. Some have questioned the outbound ring-back feature which exists to leverage mobile plans that offer free airtime for inbound calls.
I like this app
I've found this app to be very useful. It provides a stable interface for Google Voice, and I urgently implore the developer not to cripple it when they publish future versions the way Google did with their's.
The reason I bought it this app was because the recent Google Voice app (that Google wrote) had changed and was actually less functional than the older app. So I purchase this one and it was well worth it.
The only thing I found didn't work so well on the GV Connect app was the control for the "Do not Disturb" feature. This feature is meant to send Google voice incoming calls directly to voicemail instead of ringing my phone. However I think this may be more of a problem with in Google, as it appears that the most reliable way to turn on or off the Do not Disturb feature seems best done on the computer thru the browser. I have tried several Google Voice programs: same failure to reasonably set the Do not Disturb feature, and have come to this conclusion.
And yes, I would like it if MMS was included.
Better than Google's
I like this app. Runs more snappier than Google's version. Please fix the new SMS message notification. As mentioned by others, currently one needs to open the app to see new messages. Also, I would like to request 3d touch support for the contact list/favorites button. This should be better than the current long press approach.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: May 08, 2017
- Version: 3.0.2
- Size: 6.5 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Andreas Amann
- © 2009-2017 Andreas Amann
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Location Awareness$0.99
- MMS Support$0.99