GV Connect - Call & SMS for Google Voice
By Andreas Amann
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
GV Connect is the most feature-complete Google Voice application available for your iPhone or iPad — text, call, and interact with your existing GV accounts using a beautiful and streamlined interface that gives you full control over your account settings:
• Place calls using your Google Voice number rather than your mobile number - enter number directly, select a contact from your device's contacts, or call back any number in your history. The application supports direct call (iPhone only), callback, and offline calling (see application website for a description of these calling modes)
• Send and receive text messages (SMS) from your Google Voice number - including support for long SMS, sending to multiple recipients at once, and support for non-English messages. Supports in-line replies with an iMessage-like interface
• Automatically check for new SMS and voicemails - even when the application is in the background
• Listen to voicemails and recorded conversations right on your device (allowing you to pause, rewind, or fast forward to any point within the message) - voicemails will show the transcription of the message when available
• Un/-archive messages, mark them as un-/read or starred, attach notes to conversations, block/unblock senders, or delete conversations
• Easily search in your history by contact, message, or note text - supports continuing searches online for messages that have not yet been cached locally
• Messages are stored on your device for offline access
• Quickly change various Google Voice account settings (call forwarding, do-not-disturb — including the option to have DND automatically expire at a specified time, message notifications, …)
• Add, verify, and remove forwarding phone numbers
• Quick Settings allow saving and restoring complete account settings (DND, forwarding, …) for easy switching between different profiles
• Support for automatic selection of Quick Settings based on current location (available as In-App Purchase)
• Direct access to your device's contacts without needing to synchronize them with Google
• Quick access to favorite phone numbers for calls and SMS
• Universal application which runs optimized on iPhone (including iPhone 6/6 Plus), iPod Touch, and iPad (including split-screen multi-tasking on supported devices running iOS 9 or later)
• Optional application passcode lock (with TouchID option on supported devices)
• Supports gesture navigation when typing text for easier placement of the cursor: swipe left/right with one or two fingers to move the caret position backwards/forward by character or word. Swipe left/right with three fingers to go to the beginning/end of the existing text
• Supports TextExpander touch snippet expansion including support for fill-in snippets
* Recipient of an honorable mention in the 2010 Best App Ever Awards *
NOTE: An existing Google Voice account with a GV phone number is required to use this application - signup for new Google Voice accounts is currently limited to residents of the US. Please note that GV Connect is NOT a VoIP application and will not allow making or receiving calls from an iPad/iPod Touch without a separate VoIP application.
GV Connect stores your account password securely in your device's Keychain for faster login when launching the application. All communication is done exclusively via secure connections (SSL) to the Google Voice servers owned and operated by Google and no contact information (other than the contact's phone number which is required to place a call or send a message) is sent to Google or any other party. All operations are fully synchronized with your Google Voice account.
Please read the FAQ section on the application website if you encounter any issues or use the feedback email link in its about screen to ask for support.
What's New in Version 2.4
PLEASE NOTE: if the application crashes immediately after starting please delete and reinstall it from the AppStore - there seems to be a migration issue affecting some users.
Note: as of version 2.4 the minimum system requirement is iOS 8 - older system versions are no longer supported.
Support for new features in iOS 9:
• Full support for split-screen multitasking on supported devices
Messages are indexed in order to show up in global Spotlight search results
• Compose and send SMS replies directly from the notification without opening the application
• When using TouchID, automatically unlock the application if the device has been unlocked by TouchID within the last 30 seconds
Updates & improvements for all supported versions of iOS:
• Add support for Handoff between devices when composing SMS
• Allow specifying the account when starting the application via URL in order to perform actions for a given account regardless of the currently selected one
• Reworked passcode screen for a more consistent UI and allow accessing TouchID again after canceling it
• On the iPhone, hide the tab bar when showing a conversation to avoid accidental tab switching when trying to open the reply field
• Faster account switching: re-selecting the current tab on the iPhone now shows the account list for quick changing of accounts from the current view (if more than one account is set up)
• Improve error messages for and recovery from login failures
• Improve automatic refreshing of message lists after returning from background operation
• Fix issue where the application would sometimes wrongly complain about lack of network connectivity
• Put the application on a diet, slimming down the application size considerably – you now have even more room for selfies available on your device!
• Various UI tweaks for a more consistent appearance
• A plethora of performance and stability improvements
By the way, AppStore reviews are very helpful to us - reviews get reset with every update. If you like GV Connect, we would greatly appreciate if you could take a few minutes and leave a nice review. Thanks for using GV Connect!
Great Update and Great app!!!
Thank you for continuing to update this app, unfortunately as most Google Voice users know Google hasn't updated their GV app for the iPhone in years.
This app doesn't have instant push notifications like the GV app from Google has, but that's due to Google's settings not this developer.
My work around is to keep the Google Voice App from Google on my phone for the push notifications and then use this great app with a much better layout and more options to listen to my messages.
It's also worth noting that I bought this app years ago and I'm pleased that this developer hasn't tried to charge us for updates over the years by just releasing "new" versions of the app and charging each time like some developers have done.
Keep up the great work!
Time-tested, full featured app
Occasionally useful apps will rise to the occasion and enjoy success...and the developer abandons the project and users. GV Connect is no such project. IIRC I may have began using GVC when I acquired my first iPhone, the 3G. I'm not aware of any other apps that enhance the GV platform to the same extent. It can be a bit confusing and sometimes I have to trial/error test configurations by calling myself until I get it right, but I'd much rather have more options than less.
best Google Voice app I've tried
Much better than the official Google Voice app. Does a great job of caching older messages so they're available offline. This is important if you live somewhere like NYC where you frequently go underground and lose all connection.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Sep 16, 2015
- Version: 2.4
- Size: 4.3 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Andreas Amann
- © 2009-2015 Andreas Amann
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Location Awareness$0.99