If Y Combinator is your first and only stop for tech news or just a great way to keep up with the world of technology, Hacker Bar will keep you up to date.
Hacker Bar lives in the Mac menu bar and provides a steady stream of the top news stories from the Y Combinator news aggregator. Here are some of Hacker Bar’s great features.
- Grabs the top stories from Y Combinator and seamlessly refreshes them as they update using the Firebase.io Hacker News official API.
- Puts a check mark beside each viewed story. Never again wonder if a link has been visited and use this feature to quickly jump back to any interesting article.
- Allows multiple stories to open in a new tab by group linking articles. If the web browser is open and the active application, stories will open in the background without closing the Hacker Bar menu.
- Gives easy access to comments with a click of the comment count bubble. Here, registered users can up-vote articles and get flame wars started even faster!
- Can be set to auto start on login, never missing another great Y Combinator story!
Hacker Bar will keep every person interested in the tech world hooked into the news from Y Combinator in seamless simplicity. Download the App today to quickly and discretely check Hacker News.
Hacker Bar and Off The Grid Apps, LLC are not affiliated with Y Combinator or Hacker News. This application is Open Source! https://github.com/OTGApps/Hacker-Bar
- Updated to use the official Hacker News API
- Support for Yosemite "Dark Mode"
- Speed improvements and other misc fixes.
Don't forget, Hacker Bar is open source! Check out the whole change list here: https://github.com/OTGApps/Hacker-Bar/compare/v1.1.1...v1.2.0
Ratings and Reviews
Out of the way
I know it’s crazy but I love not having to open a browser tab just to see what is currently on the front page of Hacker News. Super easy to click the Y in the menu bar and then either follow a link or just close out and get back to work.
The tool seems to work for a while, and then it will stop updating with a perpetual spinner going on the Y in the menu bar. Instead of giving any indication in the list of articles that it hasn’t updated when you click the Y, it just shows stale results.
This is exactly what I was looking, if you read Hacker News, grab this app.
- Mohawk Apps, LLC
- 3.2 MB
OS X 10.8 or later, 64-bit processor
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Simulated Gambling
- Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- © 2013-2014 Off The Grid Apps, LLC
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.