Hadean Lands: Interactive Alchemical Fiction
By Zarfhome Software Consulting
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
*Winner of the XYZZY Interactive Fiction Awards for Best Puzzles, Best Setting, Best Implementation, and Best Use of Innovation for 2014.*
*Hadean Lands* is interactive fiction — a classic text adventure. No graphics! No menus! No point-and-click! You type your commands, and read what happens next.
This is the most complex puzzle structure I’ve ever designed. It’s the culmination of four years of work. I launched *Hadean Lands* as a Kickstarter project in 2010; it was a runaway success. Now it’s ready for you to play.
- Fluid interface designed for comfortable typing and reading.
- Full-length puzzle adventure with interlocking alchemical challenges.
- Pop-up palette of commonly used commands.
- Built-in game map — tap to go directly to any explored room.
- Journal tab records all the recipes and rituals that you’ve discovered.
- Full support for VoiceOver (speech output) and dictation (speech input) on devices that offer these features.
“The overall arc, for me, was that I spent the first bit of the game really excited about the possibility space, and then the next several hours feeling like my head was going to explode... This game ranks off the charts on the ingenuity measure.” — Emily Short
“The bottom line is that Hadean Lands makes great strides towards perfecting the classic adventure game — not just the text adventure.” — Steven Watson, AdventureGamers.com
What's New in Version 1.2.1
- Supports all iPhone and iPad sizes.
- A single tap on the text no longer closes the on-screen keyboard. That was annoying. (You can still tap to open the keyboard.)
This game is brilliantly crafted, the mountaintop of Interactive Fiction. I found it to be very difficult and time consuming. I’ve considered myself to be fairly adept at Interactive fiction, but I eventually had to resort to walkthroughs, as I had run out of personal time (and energy) to play this.
The play is fair, creative, forgiving and well written. The alchemical aspect, as well as the unique time-space malleability make for a world with almost an almost dizzying array of options, and a dimension of problem solving (layers of cascading dependencies) I hadn’t encountered before.
If you are a beginner at Interactive fiction, or (like me) you enjoy a casual puzzler now and then, you may want to skip this for now, and save this title for later. But DO PLAY it when you can dedicate a level of time, concentration and dedication that a master puzzle requires.
- Category: Games
- Updated: Jan 10, 2017
- Version: 1.2.1
- Size: 17.7 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Andrew Plotkin
- © 2014-7 Zarfhome Software Consulting, LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.