Hal Higdon 1/2 Marathon Training Program - Novice 1
By Bluefin Software, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Get ready for your first half marathon by training with Hal Higdon the best known running author and athlete. His training programs have helped thousands reach their running goals, and this half marathon app will help you get to the starting line with confidence.
Hal Higdon's many accomplishments include:
* Author of 35 books, including the best-selling Marathon: The Ultimate Training Guide and a new novel, Marathon
* Completed over 111 marathons and has won four overall victories and numerous age-group firsts
* Holds the current M40 and M45 American records for the steeplechase
* Is one of the founders of Round Runners Club of America
* Has contributed to Runner's World magazine longer than any other writer
ABOUT THE TRAINING PLAN - NOVICE 1
This Novice 1 Half Marathon Training Program is designed both for beginner runners who want to prepare for a 13.1-mile race, but also for experienced runners interested in a fail safe program that will help them to excel without making excessive demands on their time.
Novice 1 is designed for newcomers, individuals who have done very little or even no running before. If you are fit enough to finish the Week 1 long run of 4 miles--even if you have to walk the distance--Novice 1 will get you ready to complete a half marathon in 12 weeks.
Before starting to train for a half marathon, you need to possess a basic fitness level. If you are over age 35, you probably should see your doctor for a physical exam, but assuming no major health problems, most healthy people can train themselves to complete a 13.1-mile race.
The training plan assumes you have the ability to run 3 miles, three to four times a week. If that seems difficult, consider a shorter distance for your first race. You can try our best selling Ease into 5K app which will prepare you to run 3 miles three times a week.
* Twelve weeks long
* Run three days a week
* Cross train two days a week
* Rest two days a week
* Two regular runs a week + one long run each week
* Long runs range from 4 to 10 miles
* The plan finishes with the 1/2 marathon on race day
* New - You can set Saturday or Sunday race day
* Hal Higdon's voice will encourage you during your runs
* Distance and pace automatically tracked with built in GPS
* Metric units support
* Training schedule at your fingertips
* See dates for recommended 5K and 10K races during your training
* Set your training start date based on the race date
* Home screen shows a visual indicator of your training progress
* Select your own music and skip tracks without leaving the app
* Half point alert, letting you know when to turn back
* Share your workouts on Facebook and Twitter right from your app
* Lock Buttons feature prevents accidental button activation during workouts
* Excellent customer support
* Journal screen lets you document your run
* Keep track of your runs on the in app calendar
* Beautiful graphs show your progress
* Set a goal for distance, pace, weight loss, and distance ran
* See your run on a map
* Sync your runs with TrainingPeaks software online directly from your mobile device
Because this app needs accurate location information, this app requires a device with a GPS antenna, therefore the app works with iPhone 3G, 3GS, iPhone 4, and 4GS and is not compatible with the iPod touch.
Note: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
Compatible with iOS 9.0, requires iOS 6.0 or greater.
What's New in Version 3.5.8
Restored posting to Facebook
Not worth $10
This app had a lot of potential to be better than the previous way I'd used Hal Higdon's workout plan, by just printing off the list and checking off boxes. However there were several things cumbersome about the app. The playlist feature didn't start playing like I wanted it to, and it accidentally deleted too easily. The GPS tracking button was too small. It'd be cool if the app actually sent me a reminder or notification to run, because otherwise I have to open the app to see. When I just print out the paper schedule I have it on my desk and that is my reminder. Overall, does not match Strava as a motivator for running.
Wish it would run in background
If I shut my phone off or if I or my pocket puts the app behind another, it stops tracking my run. And then it doesn't record it as finished unless I run the extra miles it didn't track. Otherwise, I like it, but am frustrated enough I'll just use it as a schedule. Wish it could run in the background like other run apps.
Great program - not a great ap
Oh the app isn't as up-to-date as others out there, I used this app to run my first half marathon and jut loved the program! I began my training at 12:45 minute pace per mile and ended up running my half marathon at an 8:05 pace!! Hal knows his stuff and the program fit into my schedule so well!
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Health & Fitness
- Updated: Jun 18, 2015
- Version: 3.5.8
- Size: 35.8 MB
- Languages: English, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: Bluefin Software, LLC
- © Bluefin Software, LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Optional 3 Month Subscription$4.99
- Optional 12 Month Subscription$14.99
- Optional 6 Month Subscription$8.99