Get ready for your first half marathon by training with Hal Higdon the best known running author and athlete. His training programs have helped thousands reach their running goals, and this half marathon app will help you get to the starting line with confidence.
Hal Higdon's many accomplishments include:
* Author of 35 books, including the best-selling Marathon: The Ultimate Training Guide and a new novel, Marathon
* Completed over 111 marathons and has won four overall victories and numerous age-group firsts
* Holds the current M40 and M45 American records for the steeplechase
* Is one of the founders of Round Runners Club of America
* Has contributed to Runner's World magazine longer than any other writer
ABOUT THE TRAINING PLAN - NOVICE 1
This Novice 1 Half Marathon Training Program is designed both for beginner runners who want to prepare for a 13.1-mile race, but also for experienced runners interested in a fail safe program that will help them to excel without making excessive demands on their time.
Novice 1 is designed for newcomers, individuals who have done very little or even no running before. If you are fit enough to finish the Week 1 long run of 4 miles--even if you have to walk the distance--Novice 1 will get you ready to complete a half marathon in 12 weeks.
Before starting to train for a half marathon, you need to possess a basic fitness level. If you are over age 35, you probably should see your doctor for a physical exam, but assuming no major health problems, most healthy people can train themselves to complete a 13.1-mile race.
The training plan assumes you have the ability to run 3 miles, three to four times a week. If that seems difficult, consider a shorter distance for your first race. You can try our best selling Ease into 5K app which will prepare you to run 3 miles three times a week.
* Twelve weeks long
* Run three days a week
* Cross train two days a week
* Rest two days a week
* Two regular runs a week + one long run each week
* Long runs range from 4 to 10 miles
* The plan finishes with the 1/2 marathon on race day
* New - You can set Saturday or Sunday race day
* Hal Higdon's voice will encourage you during your runs
* Distance and pace automatically tracked with built in GPS
* Metric units support
* Training schedule at your fingertips
* See dates for recommended 5K and 10K races during your training
* Set your training start date based on the race date
* Home screen shows a visual indicator of your training progress
* Select your own music and skip tracks without leaving the app
* Half point alert, letting you know when to turn back
* Share your workouts on Facebook and Twitter right from your app
* Lock Buttons feature prevents accidental button activation during workouts
* Excellent customer support
* Journal screen lets you document your run
* Keep track of your runs on the in app calendar
* Beautiful graphs show your progress
* Set a goal for distance, pace, weight loss, and distance ran
* See your run on a map
* Sync your runs with TrainingPeaks software online directly from your mobile device
Because this app needs accurate location information, this app requires a device with a GPS antenna, therefore the app works with iPhone 3G, 3GS, iPhone 4, and 4GS and is not compatible with the iPod touch.
Note: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
Compatible with iOS 9.0, requires iOS 6.0 or greater.
Restored posting to Facebook
Ratings and Reviews
Do not waste your money
First, this app is very poorly designed. I want to be able to view my upcoming workouts in a list view and just check the box when done. As far as tracking, it doesn’t work. Even though I have GPS enabled, it will only work when tracking is set to always instead of when using the app. I contacted support and at first I got an argument. Once I showed the screen shots, I was told that I was correct and that it would be reported to their technical team. Several weeks later, I’m still waiting for an update to fix the issues. They also gave me instructions on how I could get a refund from Apple. The only problem is, they have it set so that Apple doesn’t give a refund. They only refer you to the support team for Bluefin apps. Finally, I am annoyed at the advertising for their connect app. Frankly, they aren’t providing anything of value for the money they want - it should be free. When I pay $10 for an app, I do t want to see your advertisements. Blatant posted everywhere. For the price spent, I hoped for much better. The only reason they are getting the money for this app is because of Hal Higdon’s name.
Hal Believes in me
In my opinion it’s the best running app money can buy. While it might not have the most streamlined look or crazy hi-tech fitness technology, I think that Hals plan provides an excellent foundation for a half marathon. The basic functions of this app worked perfectly fine for me and I’ve been able to use this and reuse this for over three years now. And I’m not going to lie, I absolutely love how’s cheesy sayings and they make me laugh or smile mid run and forgot about the pain. I highly recommend this app over some of the other more cutting edge looking apps.
Not worth $10
This app had a lot of potential to be better than the previous way I'd used Hal Higdon's workout plan, by just printing off the list and checking off boxes. However there were several things cumbersome about the app. The playlist feature didn't start playing like I wanted it to, and it accidentally deleted too easily. The GPS tracking button was too small. It'd be cool if the app actually sent me a reminder or notification to run, because otherwise I have to open the app to see. When I just print out the paper schedule I have it on my desk and that is my reminder. Overall, does not match Strava as a motivator for running.
- Bluefin Software, LLC
- 35.8 MB
- Health & Fitness
- Requires iOS 6.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Bluefin Software, LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Optional 3 Month Subscription $4.99
- Optional 12 Month Subscription $14.99
- Optional 6 Month Subscription $8.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.