Hal Higdon Marathon Training Program - Intermediate 1
By Bluefin Software, LLC
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Get ready for Marathon by training with Hal Higdon the best known running author and athlete. His training programs have helped thousands reach their running goals, and this marathon app will help you get to the starting line with confidence.
Hal Higdon's many accomplishments include:
* Author of 35 books, including the best-selling Marathon: The Ultimate Training Guide and a new novel, Marathon
* Completed 111 marathons winning four overall as well as numerous age-group firsts
* Holds the current M40 and M45 American records for the steeplechase
* Is one of the founders of Round Runners Club of America
* Has contributed to Runner's World magazine longer than any other writer
ABOUT THE TRAINING PLAN - Intermediate 1
The Intermediate 1 program offers a slight jump in difficulty from the Novice programs. You begin in Week 1 with a long run of 8 miles instead of 6 miles. You thus get to 20 miles for your long run by Week 13, which permits a second 20-miler in Week 15. Midweek mileage is slightly higher, but instead of cross-training on the weekends, you get more serious about your running and do a second run of 5-8 miles, often at marathon race pace. You now do your cross-training on Mondays, instead of taking the day off. Intermediate 2 offers still another jump in difficulty, but let’s concentrate for now on Intermediate 1.
Before starting to train for a marathon, you need to possess a basic fitness level. If you are over age 35, you probably should see your doctor for a physical exam, but assuming no major health problems, most healthy people can train themselves to complete a 26.2-mile race.
The training plan assumes you have the ability to run 3 miles, three to four times a week. If that seems difficult, consider a shorter distance for your first race. You can try our best selling Ease into 5K app which will prepare you to run 3 miles three times a week.
* Intermediate 1 Training Plan
* Eighteen weeks long
* Run five days a week
* Cross train one day a week
* Rest one day a week
* Three regular runs a week + one pace run + one long run each week
* Long runs range from 6 to 20 miles
* The plan finishes with the Marathon race day
* Hal Higdon's voice will encourage you during your runs
* Distance and pace automatically tracked with built in GPS
* Metric units support
* Training schedule at your fingertips
* Home screen shows a visual indicator of your training progress
* Select your own music and skip tracks without leaving the app
* Half point alert, letting you know when to turn back
* Share your workouts on Facebook and Twitter right from your app
* Lock Screen prevents accidental button activation during workouts
* Excellent customer support
* Journal screen lets you document your run
* Keep track of your runs on the in app calendar
* Beautiful graphs show your progress
* Set a goal for distance, pace, weight loss, and distance ran
* See your run on a map*
* Sync your runs with TrainingPeaks software online directly from your mobile device
- Redesigned workout Journal
- You can now see distance and average pace in the List
- The List view shows the cumulative distance you have run with the app
- The List view shows your fastest mile from all your workouts (for workouts completed after this update has been installed)
- Journal entry screen now allows for easier data entry with larger fields
- For treadmill runs you can easily input your treadmill speed and it will be converted into minute per mile (or kilometer) pace
- You can change the workout day in the journal entry
*Feature not available on iPod touch. Since iPod touch does not have a built-in GPS antenna, the app will ask you for your pace or treadmill speed and will then calculate the time it will take you complete the required distance.
Compatible with iOS 9
Note: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
What's New in Version 3.5.8
Restored posting to Facebook
Doc that Runs
This is a $9.99 app. It is just excellent for the very low price.
His advice is helpful and spot on. While some of the comments while running are monotone and basic they actually repeat and will make you smile. I run alone and very early so some times he is the only voice I hear. I am a Physician and surgeon with very little spare time and this one CHEAP APP by a legend in running has taken me across the finish line in 3 Marathons over the last 6 months in Florida, Georgia and Buffalo.
If nothing else you do to train, just follow his daily instructions and tips.
Needs a few tweaks
I like this app. I will be using it. I have 2 issues with it. One is that I want to be able to pause a run and be able to start it back later. I can't always finish a run in the morning and would like to be able to finish it at night and still have it marked complete. Another issue would be if I could just make the run complete without having to use the gps or do the activity in the app. The GPS is also way off. This could be my phone having a problem.
Good, needs a few improvements
I've been using this app for 4 weeks now. I love the program and tracking my specific training for this marathon. Sure wish I could sync the data to mapmyrun though, but I get it.
Here are some things I'd like to see improved in this app:
• don't let the voices talk over each other at the mile boundaries.
• the run stats voice comes in too early after mile one. He'll announce stats a like 1.99, 2.98. 11.95 etc. that's just sloppy
• in one fairly short run, you go through all of Hal's motivational messages. I'd like more.
• hearing about blisters and podiatrists isn't motivational.
• on my iPhone 6s, this app is a batter killer. I had to get the life proof frepower case to get through the longer runs, and that's even with the display off
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Health & Fitness
- Updated: Jun 18, 2015
- Version: 3.5.8
- Size: 38.2 MB
- Languages: English, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: Bluefin Software, LLC
- © Bluefin Software, LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Optional 3 Month Access to RunHelper Connect$4.99
- Optional 12 Month Access to RunHelper Connect$14.99
- Optional 6 Month Access to RunHelper Connect$8.99