By David Lippke
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
A companion app to Halfmile's Pacific Crest Trail printed map set to aid navigation on the PCT. The app determines your location and, if on the PCT or one of its side trails, it calculates trail distances to 1,700 PCT landmarks and presents any trail notes relevant for the location. Should a hiker stray off-trail, the app includes a live trail diagram to aid navigation back to the trail.
Other features of the app include:
* Simulation mode for hike planning and hiker support
* Provides specific "how to walk there" instructions for all points
* Live trail diagram with optional compass orientation
* Calculates cumulative elevation gains and losses to all points
* Powerful search function for features like water sources, campsites, and resupply locations
* Calculates which printed map pages contain your location
* Works without cell phone service
* Download and Go -- no extra configuration or data needed
The Pacific Crest Trail is a 2,669 mile National Scenic Trail that
runs from Mexico to Canada through California, Oregon and Washington.
What's New in Version 1.5.3
Repaired a crash bug
This app is indispensable for hikers on PCT. My friend and I hiked the southern section and downloaded this app to have something to check along the way. Great peace of mind knowing that you're on trail or if you happen to go off trail like we did knowing that you did and knowing where the trail is. There are lots of useful hints about what to expect. No data connection is required for the GPS and the data is downloaded locally so it works great out on the trail. This app is critical for novice hikers and experience hikers might find useful as well.
Awesome! User Friendly!
Great map for the PCT, my grandfather and I used it going from Walker Pass to Whitney, it's up to date and actually in our experience was a better map than morethanamile. I highly recommend it!