Easily turn your photos into comic book pages and videos with Halftone 2.
**Named One of the Best Apps of 2013 by Apple**
**Featured by Apple as an App Store Editors' Choice**
**Featured by Apple as a showcase app in Apple Retail Stores**
**Featured by Starbucks as a Pick of the Week**
Halftone 2 makes it easy to create comic and scrap books with your images. Choose a page layout, apply photo filters, position captions, add speech and thought balloons, place some WHAMs, BAMs, and POWs, mix in a few sound effects, and share your creation as an image, multi-page document, or high-definition video. There’s no faster or more fun way to share your stories.
With so many features, there’s almost no limit to your creative options:
Captions and Balloons
• Over 30 unique caption and balloon styles (speech bubbles, thought balloons, banners, scrolls, and more)
• A powerful 3D perspective feature lets you tilt your captions and balloons
• Includes six professional comic-themed fonts (plus everything on your device)
• Optional drop shadows add depth with configurable color, opacity, blur, and location
• Custom fonts can be added by opening a TrueType (TTF) or OpenType (OTF) font in Halftone 2
• Control over font color, size, line spacing, and alignment
• Ability to add multiple colored outlines to text
• Over 80 professionally-designed graphical shapes like WHAM, BAM, and POW
• Optional “Action Pack” in-app purchase adds over 50 more stamps designed by comic design company, Blambot
• A custom stamp feature allows you to add your own images (with support for alpha channels)
• A powerful 3D perspective feature lets you tilt your stamps to make them more dynamic
• Photos can be imported directly from your photo library, Facebook, and Flickr
• Full control of the scale and rotation of each photo
• A configurable Juicy Bits “Toon” filter turns your photos into comic-styled artwork
• Comprehensive photo editing tools from Aviary that include automatic enhancements, filter effects, brightness, contrast, saturation, sharpness, redeye, whiten, blemish, and selective focus
• Choose from over 30 multi-photo page layouts
• Each page can have its own background color, gradient, or paper texture (over 30 included textures)
• An optional page blending mode simulates the way ink interacts with paper
• Video is exported at up to 720p high-definition and can be saved to the camera roll for later use or sent directly to Facebook, Dropbox, or other compatible apps (like iMovie)
• 50 licensed sound effects are included that can be assigned to each photo panel
• A “Sound Pack” in-app purchase adds 50 sound effects, including growls, crashes, instruments, vehicles, background ambience, and more
• Each panel has a customizable transition that controls the incoming speed and movement of the virtual camera
• An optional soundtrack can be added by choosing a song from your music library
• A unique “auto stretch” feature automatically shortens or lengthens the video to match the length of your soundtrack
• A document library lets you create, save, copy, and work with multiple projects
• Full support for undo and redo
• Captions, balloons, and stamps can be placed inside a photo panel to clip them at the panel’s edges
• A built-in guide introduces all of the basic concepts
Output and Sharing
• Output formats include image (JPG), PDF, CBZ, and video (MP4)
• Output can be shared via e-mail, Twitter, Facebook, Flickr, Dropbox, Weibo, instant message (MMS), saved to the photo album, copied to the clipboard, sent to another app, and printed to AirPrint-enabled printers
• An experimental 3D anaglyph feature lets you put on red/cyan 3D glasses and view your output in three dimensions (yes, really)
• Optional halftone image processing with configurable dot size, opacity, and gain to give photos an authentic comic-styled look
+ Fixes text crashing bug in iOS 12 (thank you for the reports)
+ New build based on iOS 12 SDK
Ratings and Reviews
I’d have given the app 5 stars if it for the fact that the developers appear to be unconcerned about the creation of new or additional content. While they have a couple of packs you can purchase that provide some additional layout options and graphics, they haven’t released any additional content in the year or more I’ve been using the app.
Barring fresh content to keep interest high, it leaves the user responsible to create their own png graphics to festoon comics. And while that is a-ok given the functionality of the app, it would be nice to see some new content offered.
HOORAY! Finally updated for iOS 12
Halftone 2 has come a long way since the original version. You can make some pretty sophisticated-looking comics with this app.
Only two things I'd suggest: give us a way to name our archived projects (they're currently given only a date, which isn't much help if you design two or more comics in one day); and let us protect our projects with a password. It'd also be nice if Halftone 2's companion app, Layout, let us design diagonal panels as well.
All in all though, this is a lot of fun!
Making the balloon tails curve the other way
It seemed like you can't change the curve of the word balloon tails to curve in the opposite direction. You have to scroll down in the Style menu to get to that option. It took me a while to figure out (thanks, person in charge of the Facebook page!). There's really no indication of being able to scroll down in that menu. I hope they add that in future versions. Otherwise, awesome app! Meets my needs wonderfully!
- Juicy Bits
- 64.2 MB
- Photo & Video
Requires iOS 12.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2018 Juicy Bits
- In-App Purchases
- Landscape Pack $1.99
- Action Pack $1.99
- Square Pack $1.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.