Hangouts - free messaging, video, and voice
By Google, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Use Hangouts to keep in touch. Message friends, start free video or voice calls, and hop on a conversation with one person or a group. Say more with photos, stickers, and emoji.
• Include all your friends with group chats for up to 100 people.
• Say more with status messages, photos, maps, emoji, stickers, and animated GIFs.
• Turn any conversation into a free group video call with up to 10 friends.
• Call any phone number in the world (and all calls to other Hangouts users are free!).
• Connect your Google Voice account for phone number, SMS, and voicemail integration.
• Keep in touch with friends across all your devices.
• Message friends anytime, even if they're offline.
Note: Mobile carrier and ISP charges may apply. Calls to Hangouts users are free, but other calls might be charged.
What's New in Version 3.1.0
• Copy and paste images into your conversations.
• Bug fixes and performance improvements.
Useful with issues
The app is easy to use and convenient for communicating in groups.
My issue with it is that it doesn't always notify me when someone has posted in a hangout. Alternately, when it does give a notification and I read it, in the hangout, sometimes the notification doesn't go away for awhile. So it looks like there are new messages for awhile when there aren't.
I use it more than texting, particularly with people whom don't have the same type of phone that I have. It avoids getting jumbled text messages and receiving 2/2 before the 1/2. And of course it makes communicating with multiple people at the same time much easier.
Overall, I like the app but the random notification issues are irritating.
This app is a must-have for people who have bought into the Google ecosystem. The voice and video chat are of an absurdly good quality and I much prefer Google's take on the unified messaging platform to Apple's (Messages). I'm a Google Voice user and this has replaced my phone app on my home screen.
I really hope that Google keeps iterating on this because there are just a few things holding it back from perfection IMO—both related to GV: 1) it doesn't support group text messages and 2) outgoing calls are VOIP-only. The former is more a complaint about the GV service, though the latter has been solved by third-party apps like GV Mobile+. Hopefully the solution comes to Hangouts soon!
More intuitive than Messenger
Everything nice about Google and Hangouts. Sometimes reports users as online or having read messages when this is not true. Scrolling does get kinda wonky at times. Sometimes hard to see while using the keyboard in landscape. At times the keyboard gets a bug where you can't see what you're typing because the text field disappears. Has some problems loading. Seems to take a decent amount of battery life but then again I do use it a lot. Saved conversations are nice. Good, clean design. Text, call, and video all from the same place. I recommend using with wifi. Other than that, great app and great system!
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Social Networking
- Updated: Mar 18, 2015
- Version: 3.1.0
- Size: 27.5 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Bulgarian, Catalan, Chinese, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: Google, Inc.
- © Google Inc. 2015
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.