Hangouts - free messaging, video, and voice
By Google, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Use Hangouts to keep in touch. Message friends, start free video or voice calls, and hop on a conversation with one person or a group. Say more with photos, stickers, and emoji.
• Include all your friends with group chats for up to 100 people.
• Say more with status messages, photos, maps, emoji, stickers, and animated GIFs.
• Turn any conversation into a free group video call with up to 10 friends.
• Call any phone number in the world (and all calls to other Hangouts users are free!).
• Connect your Google Voice account for phone number, SMS, and voicemail integration.
• Keep in touch with friends across all your devices.
• Message friends anytime, even if they're offline.
Note: Mobile carrier and ISP charges may apply. Calls to Hangouts users are free, but other calls might be charged.
What's New in Version 3.1.0
• Copy and paste images into your conversations.
• Bug fixes and performance improvements.
I use this app for many every day uses, and haven't had any errors or crashes yet! I love its features like status updating, drawing, using the desktop app on chrome, and other neat stuff. I definitely like hangouts more than the I message app! I love the way google combined Google plus, video calls, text, chat, voice calls and stuff in the same app, it's really nice to have all those things in one app. I enjoy that Google has used the material design in this app, but I will say that having the white background is kind of boring and extremely bright at times. It would be nice to add a custom background color or photo. I think it would also be nice to add the computer version features onto the mobile app, I like the hidden features on the computer like /bikeshed /shydino /pitchforks and etc.
I will look forward to see what Google will continue to do with this amazing app! I recommend it to any anyone.
Upgrade over Google Voice but still lacking
Well, I guess this is better than the Google Voice app which looks like it was last updated in 2008, but it's still missing some very basic functionality, like integration with iOS contacts (instead of letting google creepily upload all of your contacts). Also, there's really no way to create and add contacts other than the constant push to make people sign up for G+ accounts. That is their worst mistake, putting people who want a communication tool in the same bucket as those who want social networking. They are not the same type of people.
Lastly, you can't sms short numbers (less than 10 digits). That is just straight estupido.
UPDATE: well now there is a bug whereby when you're on a hangouts call and someone calls on the other line, even if you don't answer that call, you lose audio with the person you were on the hangouts call with. What a POS app.
Useful with issues
The app is easy to use and convenient for communicating in groups.
My issue with it is that it doesn't always notify me when someone has posted in a hangout. Alternately, when it does give a notification and I read it, in the hangout, sometimes the notification doesn't go away for awhile. So it looks like there are new messages for awhile when there aren't.
I use it more than texting, particularly with people whom don't have the same type of phone that I have. It avoids getting jumbled text messages and receiving 2/2 before the 1/2. And of course it makes communicating with multiple people at the same time much easier.
Overall, I like the app but the random notification issues are irritating.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Social Networking
- Updated: Mar 18, 2015
- Version: 3.1.0
- Size: 27.5 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Bulgarian, Catalan, Chinese, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: Google, Inc.
- © Google Inc. 2015
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.