Hangouts - free messaging, video, and voice
By Google, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Use Hangouts to keep in touch. Message friends, start free video or voice calls, and hop on a conversation with one person or a group. Say more with photos, stickers, and emoji.
• Include all your friends with group chats for up to 100 people.
• Say more with status messages, photos, maps, emoji, stickers, and animated GIFs.
• Turn any conversation into a free group video call with up to 10 friends.
• Call any phone number in the world (and all calls to other Hangouts users are free!).
• Connect your Google Voice account for phone number, SMS, and voicemail integration.
• Keep in touch with friends across all your devices.
• Message friends anytime, even if they're offline.
Note: Mobile carrier and ISP charges may apply. Calls to Hangouts users are free, but other calls might be charged.
What's New in Version 4.0.0
• Improved user experience.
• New attachments UI.
• Send multiple photos at once.
It’s apparently still none of my business whether any of my contacts are online. There’s “last seen,” but it appears not to be reliable, and makes it impossible to tell the difference between someone who’s online, and someone who’s never turned that option on (because they don’t like it, or because they haven’t been on Hangouts since it was implemented). They’ve got a little black and white badge in the upper right hand corner of the user icons that could’ve been used for an online status dot, but the badge appears to mean “someone they’d like me to use hangouts with,” which is everyone on my roster, and anyone who comes up in any sort of search, besides. It’s totally useless.
Sure, it does voice and video calls; so what? I’ve got lots of ways to do that, and all of those give me some indication as to whether the person on the other end will receive my message in a timely fashion. Tossing a message off into the wild blue yonder without even knowing whether it’ll reach the other person is the domain of SMS. Technology moved beyond SMS nearly twenty years ago.
the send button
I love this app and I use absolutely all the time but in this last update, two major things bothered me. first, the color of the bubble, a dark green, which looks hideous, but something I can get used two. my main concern is the send button. Before this update, the send button used to be directly above the keyboard, but now the keyboard and the send button is separated by the tool bar. I personally don't think this tool bar needs to be there constantly, but I guess that's just my opinion. the new location send button on the other hand is just uncomfortable and inconvenient. the send button should be closer to the keyboard, a lot like how it is before.
Still no caller ID using names. Even with 4.0 update all calls and texts that come when not actively in the app show only the phone number, not the name of the contact though they are in my contacts list. If in the app, the name comes up. Also, when I first open the app, I just see numbers in the recent call list, then a second later the names populate: it seems hangouts can only access contact info while the app is open? This is the biggest issue that needs fixing.
The new update also added notification menu, but two buttons say answer, one of which doesn't work.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Social Networking
- Updated: Jun 29, 2015
- Version: 4.0.0
- Size: 40.4 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Bokmål, Norwegian, Bulgarian, Catalan, Chinese, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: Google, Inc.
- © Google Inc. 2015
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.