By Google, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Use Hangouts to keep in touch. Message friends, start free video or voice calls, and hop on a conversation with one person or a group. Say more with photos, stickers, and emoji.
• Include all your friends with group chats for up to 150 people.
• Say more with status messages, photos, maps, emoji, stickers, and animated GIFs.
• Turn any conversation into a free group video call with up to 10 friends.
• Call any phone number in the world (and all calls to other Hangouts users are free!).
• Connect your Google Voice account for phone number, SMS, and voicemail integration.
• Keep in touch with friends across all your devices.
• Message friends anytime, even if they're offline.
• Manage mobile app remotely with Google for Work.
Note: Mobile carrier and ISP charges may apply. Calls to Hangouts users are free, but other calls might be charged.
What's New in Version 11.5.0
• Search for groups by name or person
• More easily create and name groups
• Fixed problems with audio quality in calls
Making progress but needs more
I've been an avid user of hangouts for its phone calling and texting capabilities for years, and I'd say I use it because it's free and relatively easy-ish not because I love it. I guess it's obvious that without a revenue stream coming from it, Google doesn't really care enough to really develop it, but it's to software what a Toyota Corolla is to cars. It gets you from point A to point B in the blandest way possible. But even worse than its horrible UI is the fact that it doesn't really work, especially on a cellular data plan as it should. I've long had problems using it on anything other than Verizon on my cellular iPad, especially making phone calls doesn't work at all. But recently, I updated Hangputs from the App Store while on the road via cellular, and it completely stopped working, in fact wouldn't even allow me to see the app screen upon launch, which meant I couldn't text someone I was trying to go meet, my only way of communicating with that person. I can't believe ten other companies haven't made a better competing product. Talkatone used to be good until they had to start charging. Communication wants to be free. There could be ads, or maybe it's a loss leader to create brand loyalty, but someone needs to invest development time in an app like this to actually make a good experience.
I love this app. I use it for half of my messaging and me and my friends use it for video calls and group chats. It's a great app. However, since the new update my send button sometimes doesn't register that I've pressed it and sends the message a few seconds later or not at all--I have to press it more than once. I'd give it five stars if Google would fix this.
Okay google, help me out here. I can't send any pictures anymore. It just says "failed to send" and I can't send anything. Very frustrating. Also the app is glitchy, it takes a long time to load and will often crash.
The previous grievances haven't been fixed yet either--this is quite disappointing. I use this app a lot and need it to be easier to use and less crashy.
Hangouts is Great.
Hangouts is a great app, I've been using it almost daily for over a year. It's been so functional and so flexible with communication amongst my friends and I. The performance is also outstanding for the most chatty of people in one group, unlike Kik. Everything is great already.
I'd just like to report a few minor thing as about the app.
1. While typing in the hangouts app whilst using the iPad overlay, the keyboard does become extremely slow, and it does make it harder to communicate.
2. While voice and video chatting on hangouts and using cellular data to chat, I've experienced points of the chat where nobody can hear my audio, wether it's too low or I couldn't be heard at all. This has mainly happened while using headphones.
3. Please make the send button bigger on the iPad version. I have to tap and tap several times to send my messages. The square send button that takes up most of the space is more responsive.
One last request... Maybe add a bir more color? Have some fun with it.
Otherwise, hangouts is good and very functional.
- Category: Social Networking
- Updated: Aug 03, 2016
- Version: 11.5.0
- Size: 59.5 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Catalan, Chinese (Hong Kong), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: Google, Inc.
- © Google Inc. 2016
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.