By Google, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Use Hangouts to keep in touch. Message friends, start free video or voice calls, and hop on a conversation with one person or a group. Say more with photos, stickers, and emoji.
• Include all your friends with group chats for up to 150 people.
• Say more with status messages, photos, maps, emoji, stickers, and animated GIFs.
• Turn any conversation into a free group video call with up to 10 friends.
• Call any phone number in the world (and all calls to other Hangouts users are free!).
• Connect your Google Voice account for phone number, SMS, and voicemail integration.
• Keep in touch with friends across all your devices.
• Message friends anytime, even if they're offline.
• Manage mobile app remotely with Google for Work.
Note: Mobile carrier and ISP charges may apply. Calls to Hangouts users are free, but other calls might be charged.
What's New in Version 11.1.0
● Ability to kick users out of group conversations
● Invite anyone to join your group conversation by sharing a link
● Fix for static gifs and square cropping of images
● Increased video attachment max length to two minutes
● Fix for common crash
● Fix for a bug in universal link handling
I like my Hangouts
This app is extremely useful and I use it for messaging and voice calls every day. The one issue I have with it is that most of my friends don't use it. For the select few that do, woo hoo. But everyone else I know is on messenger or some other platform. While the interface has gotten better and more clear, I think it could still risk being clearer. This app had a really bad release and my friends have had a negative perception of it ever since, and it's not exactly clear how it connects to a voice account. As soon as I point it out my friends see it's gonna take some figuring and say whatever I'm not doing that.
The missing piece for me about Hangouts is that it wasn't ever really pushed as a great new feature across all platforms in the right way. It was this thing that was in Google Plus and G+ didn't do well with my friends, and then it ended up in their Gmail, which they didn't like, so they didn't try it and stuck with GChat, and then for those that did switch, the addition of Google Voice was unclear or not really promoted. This app could be the replacement for email Google wants but it doesn't seem to be backed by the company strongly enough. And they are releasing more messaging apps?
I just don't get it. Still like my Hangouts, though.
A must have for ex-pats!!
I relocated to England from the states and the last thing I did was port my phone number (the one I've had my entire adult life) to Google and through Hangouts have been connected to "back home" ever since. With hangouts, my friends can call me, text me, share pics, all through my same old number! My 82 year old father doesn't have to figure out a new technology or dial long distance to talk to me. I can't say enough great things about this technology and this app. This also includes my google chats as well which is convenient especially when I do not always have my google chat open at the same times as my friends back home due to the time difference. You can mute people too which is nice for the group chats with too many message flying about!
I see improvements
Last year I remember not even being able to send a video unless I used the video within the app which was annoying but I see they changed that. Obviously most people have google email accounts so it makes it really easy to communicate with your friends outside of the regular message app which is mainly why I downloaded it vs many other messaging apps other. The additional free phone number has helped me out many times. I haven't really checked everything out to be able to really know what bugs me but so far the only problem I have is that I can't delete individual texts & that annoys me. The options seem to consist of turning off history when I feel they need to add an extra option to select & delete if you wanted.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Social Networking
- Updated: Jul 14, 2016
- Version: 11.1.0
- Size: 55.7 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: Google, Inc.
- © Google Inc. 2016
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.