By Google, Inc.
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Use Hangouts to keep in touch. Message friends, start free video or voice calls, and hop on a conversation with one person or a group. Say more with photos, stickers, and emoji.
• Include all your friends with group chats for up to 150 people.
• Say more with status messages, photos, emoji, stickers, and animated GIFs.
• Easily share your current location to any conversation with Maps integration.
• Turn any conversation into a free group video call with up to 10 friends.
• Call any phone number in the world (and all calls to other Hangouts users are free!).
• Connect your Google Voice account for phone number, SMS, and voicemail integration.
• Keep in touch with friends across all your devices.
• Message friends anytime, even if they're offline.
• Manage mobile app remotely with Google Cloud.
Note: Mobile carrier and ISP charges may apply. Calls to Hangouts users are free, but other calls might be charged.
What's New in Version 21.0.0
• Optimized for iPhone X
Best Personal VoIP App Available
Google Hangouts running Google Voice is easily the best VoIP experience there is and it is FREE!! I highly recommend this app to anyone looking for a separate VoIP number or anyone looking to run multiple numbers from their phone. Hangouts also handles SMS very nicely. I highly recommend this app to everyone.
My only grievance is that when starting a new conversation I wish there was a way to disable the option to create the message group as a Hangouts message mms. Nobody I know message people through Hangouts messaging and to have it start as the first option when creating a new message or group is very annoying. Everyone uses SMS texting. The ability to text and make VoIP phone calls is what sets this app apart from the others. I’d like to see it take more of a center stage in the message creation process.
Hangouts has some strong points and some odd ones. We all love Google but their unified messaging strategy is just odd. Duo and hangouts? Why not just combine. Duo works very well, hangouts audio and video has flaws. Why can’t I control my volume when I use my iPhone using Google products?? One other annoying trait of Hangouts is a friend can send me 10 pics but I can’t scroll through them in full screen mode. I have to open and close each one individually. Why?!?
All in all a good product especially given the desktop app but some basic features, or lack of, have me going to other chat/voip tools except for friends who are only on hangouts. Until Google makes a single app that does all that you need, they will not win the market from WhatsApp/ Facebook messenger, etc....imho.
Cut off my contacts...
I have an iPhone SE, and ever since I updated to the latest version of Hangouts (the one that optimized it for the iPhone X), my contacts are cut off, like when I’m in a chat, the person who I’m texting, their name is cut off, because the record button, call button, and the 3 dots button are spread apart.
Now I understand that my phone is quite small compared to the bigger iPhones and the iPhone X, but that does NOT mean whatsoever that my content should be all screwed up JUST because iPhones are getting larger.
The SE is still available in retail, therefore it’s not right that my content is messed up because the buttons were spread out.
Google, you need to keep in mind that not EVERYONE can afford the $1000 iPhone X, or just that not everyone likes bigger iPhones. You need to fix this issue, because it’s starting to get really aggravating and there’s no reason WHATSOEVER that I should have to deal with that. Fix this problem, because it’s quite upsetting that you’re just ignoring the SE, as if EVERYONE got the X, which aka isn’t even CLOSE to true. My content must be fixed as soon as possible. And then I’ll rate 5 stars, but for now, I’m only giving 3 stars.
- Category: Social Networking
- Updated: Dec 19, 2017
- Version: 21.0.0
- Size: 99.9 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Catalan, Chinese (Hong Kong), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: Google, Inc.
- © Google Inc. 2016
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.