Featured on CNN and in New York Times and The Guardian: The App Store's #1 vegan and vegetarian restaurant guide. Covering 180+ countries and online as a free-to-use website since 1999. Search HappyCow to find a local plant-based restaurant or cafe anywhere in the world. Read reviews (300,000+) of local vegan-friendly businesses including for vegan bakeries, health food stores, vegetarian catering, farmers’ markets, juice bars, and coffee shops.
* Search nearby or by location
* Set the veg-type you desire: Vegan, Vegetarian, Vegan-Options
* Search Categories including: Bakery, Beer/Wine, Buffet, Catering, Delivery, Fast food, Gluten-free, Juice bar, Macrobiotic, Organic, Pizza, Raw Food, Salad bar, Take out
* Cuisine Type filters include: American, Asian, Australian, Brazilian, British, Caribbean, Chinese, European, French, Fusion, German, Indian, International, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Mediterranean, Mexican, Middle Eastern, Spanish, Taiwanese, Thai, Vietnamese, Western
* Use keywords to refine results even more... Especially useful in big cities where you’ll want to narrow your searches.
* Browse HappyCow to find a popular cafe or restaurant with good reviews
* Store your favorites for future reference (available offline!)
* Organize restaurants & stores for your upcoming Trips (use without internet)
* View interactive Maps of businesses
* View Photos, reviews, and info you need to decide on a winning meal
* Get directions, phone numbers, reviews, and website info
* Easily Share what you find with your friends
* Over 75,000 vegan-friendly listings
* 350,000+ beautiful photos of food and restaurant decor
* Content is updated 24/7 by a dedicated team and our 2 million+ monthly visitors
* Upload photos of your delicious food
* Submit reviews and advice for your fellow HappyCow users
* Join the largest Veg Community of 250,000+ members
Please contact us before leaving feedback or rating -- we’d like to help you. Send us a message: ios (at) happycow.net
HappyCow is a community run site, and we rely on users like you to keep this going strong. If you find anything incorrect or a missing veg-friendly restaurant please be sure to update and/or add it. The website is always free to use, so if you aren’t certain about the kinds of content we list you may check and see before buying the app. The app is a 1-time fee, there is no subscription nor currently any in-app purchases and you own it for life.
Language support for Chinese, Dutch, English, French, German, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Spanish
HappyCow apps use your device location to find restaurants near your current location. We do not store your device location on our servers.
HappyCow apps provide you with a way upload restaurant photos from your existing library on your device. We never access your photos until you choose to view them from within the app.
HappyCow app allows you to take photos of your favorite restaurants, which we encourage you to share with our users. The app stores these photos with your other pictures on your device so you may admire them whenever you please, or upload at a later date. We never access your camera or save photos until you perform those actions from within the app.
We communicate with the HappyCow database to bring you the best vegan and vegetarian restaurants in the world!
Vegan powered by HappyCow.com
* Minor fixes to maps for Trips & Favorites
Prior: Finally the long anticipated redesign of HappyCow is ready! In addition to the new start screen, we combined the nearby and search tabs, and added many useful new filter options including Gluten-free, Organic, Cuisine types, Store Types, and more. This is awesome for large cities with many listings. The app now allows you to save your settings, and every time you open it, the app will show you exactly what you’re looking for. We also improved the map view with cleaner icons and use of space. Get the results you want faster than ever!
- New and improved start screen
- Fully redesigned filters section with many new options
- Search history
- Remember filters
- Improved map ux/ui
- Bug fixes
- Performance Optimizations
Let us know if you have any feedback about this new design or the way it’s working for you.
Thanks for your help! Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Added a new label for "Store" listings which are 100% vegan
- Introduced opening / closing soon info on listings
- Improved uploading process for photos and reviews
- Added controls for camera view
- New sorting options for Gold Members (> 108 points), Sort by "Newest" Listings
- Improved geocoding mechanism
- Other minor bugs fixes & optimizations
Ratings and Reviews
Best resource for finding veg-friendly restaurants
Someone recommended this to me when I first went vegan a few years back. It had been less than a month and I was just starting to feel that I wouldn’t be able to do it because I missed eating out with the family. We met this guy in front of the one vegan restaurant I managed to find by just trying to Google a bunch of stuff and when I told him what I went through, he told me about the app and I have been an avid user since! I have used it to plan trips because you can save an itinerary of places you want to visit beforehand and it’s really easy to add restaurants that you may find on your own. If you use the app I encourage you to leave reviews and add restaurants because that’s how the information grows. It is definitely worth the download!
*As of Aug 2018, the app has been redesigned and looks great! The ability to filter by restaurant type directly from the main page is a welcome new addition!
Only worth it if free
As a vegan I like supporting vegan products, but this app is not worth even $.99... the selection is poor and only limited to places that are 100% vegan. I want to find places I can eat and don’t want to be controlled by the developer’s filtered choices. Many restaurant in my area that are vegan friendly, but only like 7-8 within 25-30 mile radios (I live in the currently 4th largest metropolis area of US).
I went to find by the map and when used the selected area, the map zoomed in (glitch) and gives me the result just for small selection.
I hate the fact that I can’t get my money back!! I paid $3.99 thinking it was a good app as I usually get if I pay more than $1... can’t believe that Peta recommended this app.
Do not purchase until they improve their database and bugs. I see plenty of options in TripAdvisor and Yelp in my area. This app is only worth if it is free at the moment, and even then TripAdvisor or Yelp provides more options and includes vegan friendly places.
Btw - not supporting restaurants that are vegan friendly and offer 100% vegan options in their menu without having to modify the order, is not supporting restaurants management that are being open minded and value our life style.
Also it makes our cause easier when you can share with non-vegans without having to inconvenience anyone.
The more people order the offered options, the larger will be the vegan menu. Then, demand will grow when the options are available (more vegans).
Developer Response ,
HappyCow is not limited to places that are 100% vegan. From the beginning we've listed places with vegan-options, not only vegan places. Your statement is false and incorrect. Perhaps you pressed on the vegan button filter and searched for vegan results only?
As we are a vegan-centric app, our audience is more specific than those who use Yelp / TripAdvisor / etc, and we have certain criteria for restaurants to be listed. We realize that many restaurants will serve you a simple greens salad or potatoes, but we try to keep our data as relevant and non-cluttered as possible by not listing restaurants with poor vegan options. We are also a community-run site, and the search results are human-filtered. We try to keep our site more useful by listing places which make a conscious effort to at least label dishes as vegan, create a separate vegan menu section, or provide more choices than typical items found on the majority of menus.
Within the map view of the app, you can use "Search in this area" and more results will show up. If there was a glitch you should have updated as it should be fixed long time ago.
Regarding the price, programmers don't work for free, and we need to raise funds to keep this project going.
JC- please get in touch so that we may further discuss these points. As-is your review is incorrect and damaging to this cause. Kind regards, TeamCow - Email: email@example.com
Good idea, poor execution
I was very excited to get this app. I live in the middle of the Midwest in a college town, and didn’t know if there were any vegan options near me. Looking at the list on the app, I was pleased to see quite a few options, and I had hope.
But as I started making plans with friends and them asking the age old question of “can you eat here?” I found the app almost no help. So many restaurants in my area have vegan options or are vegan friendly, but aren’t listed in the search results. I tried to add one of them, and was discouraged by how big of a pain it is to add a place. I’m all for being thorough when listing restaurants, but you have to add every single menu item that is or could be made vegan, as well as answer way too many questions about willingness to accommodate.
All of this is to say that I paid for an app I don’t use because the list of vegan restaurants is outdated. Pretty disappointed.
Developer Response ,
We don't require every option to be listed for approval, we just like to have a general idea of what they offer if they don't label vegan options.
We are always open to suggestions for improvement. HappyCow is maintained by the community and we encourage you to add places that you feel deserve to be listed.
Please let us know what's missing! Let us know which city you are in so we may improve our listings if possible. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- HappyCow, Inc
- 99.8 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Dutch, French, German, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- © 2011-2018, HappyCow Inc
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.