Featured on CNN and in New York Times and The Guardian: The App Store's #1 vegan and vegetarian restaurant guide. Covering 180+ countries and online as a free-to-use website since 1999. Search HappyCow to find a local plant-based restaurant or cafe anywhere in the world. Read reviews (400,000+) of local vegan-friendly businesses including for vegan bakeries, health food stores, vegetarian catering, farmers’ markets, juice bars, and coffee shops.
* Search nearby or by location
* Set the veg-type you desire: Vegan, Vegetarian, Vegan-Options
* Search Categories including: Bakery, Beer/Wine, Buffet, Catering, Delivery, Fast food, Gluten-free, Juice bar, Macrobiotic, Organic, Pizza, Raw Food, Salad bar, Take out
* Cuisine Type filters include: American, Asian, Australian, Brazilian, British, Caribbean, Chinese, European, French, Fusion, German, Indian, International, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Mediterranean, Mexican, Middle Eastern, Spanish, Taiwanese, Thai, Vietnamese, Western
* Use keywords to refine results even more... Especially useful in big cities where you’ll want to narrow your searches.
* Browse HappyCow to find a popular cafe or restaurant with good reviews
* Store your favorites for future reference (available offline!)
* Organize restaurants & stores for your upcoming Trips (use without internet)
* View interactive Maps of businesses
* View Photos, reviews, and info you need to decide on a winning meal
* Get directions, phone numbers, reviews, and website info
* Easily Share what you find with your friends
* Over 90,000 vegan-friendly listings
* 450,000+ beautiful photos of food and restaurant decor
* Content is updated 24/7 by a dedicated team and our 2 million+ monthly visitors
* Upload photos of your delicious food
* Submit reviews and advice for your fellow HappyCow users
* Join the largest Veg Community of 300,000+ members
Please contact us before leaving feedback or rating -- we’d like to help you. Send us a message: ios (at) happycow.net
HappyCow is a community run site, and we rely on users like you to keep this going strong. If you find anything incorrect or a missing veg-friendly restaurant please be sure to update and/or add it. The website is always free to use, so if you aren’t certain about the kinds of content we list you may check and see before buying the app. The app is a 1-time fee, there is no subscription nor currently any in-app purchases and you own it for life.
Language support for Chinese, Dutch, English, French, German, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Spanish
HappyCow apps use your device location to find restaurants near your current location. We do not store your device location on our servers.
HappyCow apps provide you with a way upload restaurant photos from your existing library on your device. We never access your photos until you choose to view them from within the app.
HappyCow app allows you to take photos of your favorite restaurants, which we encourage you to share with our users. The app stores these photos with your other pictures on your device so you may admire them whenever you please, or upload at a later date. We never access your camera or save photos until you perform those actions from within the app.
We communicate with the HappyCow database to bring you the best vegan and vegetarian restaurants in the world!
Vegan powered by HappyCow.com
We've been busy improving things, hope you enjoy these changes and they work well for you!
>> More venue type categories added:
1) Food Truck
2) Ice Cream
3) Juice Bar
4) Market Vendor
Find the explanation for these new categories in the “More” Tab
>> Updated style of your profile tab, which now includes:
1) Your Status Level Badges based on member points, and Ambassador Badges
2) Photos you have uploaded
3) Reviews you have written (easier to edit / delete your reviews)
>> Browse a gallery of all your photos
>> View other members profiles (click on their avatar to access – we'll improve soon)
>> Bug fixes and optimizations
*** If you find any issues please help HappyCow and report them via email to: email@example.com
Ratings and Reviews
A must have for any vegan/vegetarian.
Upon going vegan I chose not to purchase this app due to the higher than average price, but since then I have had many great meals thanks to this app which makes it well worth the cost. The app has some issues that need to be worked upon and the kind developer team has informed me that they are aware of them and are doing their best to integrate them.
I recommend this app to anyone who is traveling or living in a metropolitan area where there may be vegan/vegetarian restaurants unknown to them. For those who reside in the suburbs and don’t travel I recommend you use the free website to see what types of options there are around you at one time. I wish there were vegan/veg restaurants everywhere but that is not always the case so check the website first.
I hope that the happy cow community grows because for now I use happy cow to locate the restaurant but google to see the reviews and photos. If a rest isn’t on happy cow has a large number of positive reviews and photos it’s bound to be a home run of a a meal.
Developer Response ,
Hi Stephen, we understand this issue and on the website there already exists such a filter. We thought that we'd add chain listings as the new functionality to filter them was being coded, but seems it's taking more time to get that functionality in the apps. It will be there soon though, please be patient!
For now, we suggest filtering out VegOptions in a city like Manhattan, or choosing a very small search radius, ie 1 mile.
Hope you will update your review now that you understand this issue better and show support with a 5-star rating. For HappyCow to improve we rely on success here, and updating your review will help keep the project going.
Best resource for finding veg-friendly restaurants
Someone recommended this to me when I first went vegan a few years back. It had been less than a month and I was just starting to feel that I wouldn’t be able to do it because I missed eating out with the family. We met this guy in front of the one vegan restaurant I managed to find by just trying to Google a bunch of stuff and when I told him what I went through, he told me about the app and I have been an avid user since! I have used it to plan trips because you can save an itinerary of places you want to visit beforehand and it’s really easy to add restaurants that you may find on your own. If you use the app I encourage you to leave reviews and add restaurants because that’s how the information grows. It is definitely worth the download!
*As of Aug 2018, the app has been redesigned and looks great! The ability to filter by restaurant type directly from the main page is a welcome new addition!
An absolute must for any vegan or vegetarian
I recently went on a trip to Amsterdam, Paris and London. I thought that I would have limited food options as a vegan. Thankfully, HappyCow was there for me as an indispensable guide. I honestly don’t know what I would do without it, especially when I travel either nationally or now, internationally.
The ability to map/locate restaurants, filter by what’s open, filter by only vegan, etc, is just wonderful. It gave me major peace of mind knowing that there were options out there for me, along with how far away they were and when they would be open until.
The individual restaurant reviews are also consistently throughout and feel 100% genuine by real vegans and vegetarians. I would have paid the price of entry for this app many times over, its that helpful to me. Many thanks to the developer.
- HappyCow, Inc
- 81.1 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Dutch, French, German, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- © 2011-2019, HappyCow Inc
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.