**2018 New Apps We Love** - Apple
HATCH is a timer meant to encourage kids to take screen breaks and focus on other things. Kids set their timers in five-minute increments, which starts the process of hatching an egg with a mystery creature inside. Once it's started, you can't close the app or run another app. If you do, their egg will crack and you'll lose the creature inside. At the end of the timer, the egg hatches and the mystery creature is revealed.
WHAT’S IT FOR?
- HOMEWORK Help your kid stay on-task and focused when doing their homework, providing incentive to stay away from distracting social media apps.
- READING It’s hard for all of us to stay focused on reading with a phone nearby; use Hatch to break the habitual phone checking cycle.
- TECH MODERATION There are plenty of tools to limit tech usage. Add a daily Hatch session to your arsenal for a positive reinforcement approach.
- Stay on-task while studying or doing assignments.
- Keep a record of your ‘phone breaks’ and what you accomplished, to reinforce healthy tech habits.
- Listen to dope Lo-Fi Hip Hop (courtesy @CollegeMusic) beats while you study (available ONLY while running a Hatch session, for extra motivation).
- Not ready for the commitment of a full-on guided meditation session yet? Get started by putting your phone down for an hour, and use hatch to make sure you stay on-track.
- Make note of how each session made you feel, and review your past sessions using the Timeline feature anytime you need a little extra motivation.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
1. Set a timer for as long as you like (start small).
2. Enter a goal for the session (it helps, trust us).
3. Don’t leave Hatch (your DMs can wait).
4. If you succeed, you’ll get a cute creature!
We fixed a few small bugs.
Ratings and Reviews
Great app and concept!
I have never written a review on an app. This app is great. I try to personally do a lot of mindful meditation when I can and I’ve been wanting my 6 and 3 yr old to do something like mindful meditation but never knew what to do. This was awesome and they loved it. They want to hatch more. My 6 year old wants a legendary and elite! The downside is when I tell them to stare and focus they both shake their heads when the egg shakes. Haha -They look kind of funny. My only suggestion would be to add 2-10 minutes as individual time options. This would be great for timeouts or just a break from everything. Well done, nice concept! It’s been 10 minutes and they are still talking about going after the elite, and wondering what other types of species there might be. 👍
Great app, only a one issues
This app is really great! It works well and I have gotten off my phone more often. The only problem is that I had started a 20 minute egg, and waited the allotted amount of time. Once the egg was ready I clicked hatch, got a Figaro, then I went to my home screen to make a call, and when I went back to start another egg, my Figaro was gone. My mom hatched another 15 minute egg after mine disappeared, and the same thing happened to her. I hatched a 5 minute egg after, and got a Sheepsy, but again when I went back they were both gone again. They appeared the next morning, but they kept disappearing another few times after that. Other than those few glitches (I’m assuming that they’re glitches) the app works well.
Developer Response ,
Hey SPACEUNICORN thanks for the feedback, glad to hear you and your Mom gave it a try! The problem you are describing is intended behavior; we designed the app to motivate you to stay inside Hatch until the egg is incubated AND hatched. Next time you focus, try not to leave the app until AFTER you click 'Hatch' and see your new creature. Good luck!
Has this been resolved?
Would you consider changing the review ?
Thanks so much.
Good idea... more rewards?
This app is a very good idea. It’s hard to me to work to get future gratification when I don’t get immediate gratification. I found this app and it’s kind of like a two-in-one: it discourages you from getting sucked into a distracting app whilst also giving you a reward for focusing on your work for a while. In my opinion, the reward factor of this app should be developed further in order to increase the immediate gratification. The people who came up with this concept had a great idea. It helps increase a higher reward output in the future by having us put our phones up and work, and it increases our satisfaction when we are off our phones by giving us immediate gratification when our timer runs out.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for all the feedback. We are 100% working on further incentives (daily rewards, additional creatures , leveling up creatures, etc...).
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.