Too many windows to manage? Big display? Or getting lost in multiple monitors? HazeOver is for you! ▶ TRIAL version: HazeOver.com
Get rid of distractions and focus on your current task. HazeOver automatically highlights the front app window by dimming all background windows.
• Spend less time managing windows. Window clutter will no longer bother you.
• Got a big screen? Then going full screen is not an option for you. HazeOver to the rescue!
• Multiple displays? HazeOver will let you know which screen is focused or highlight a window on each monitor.
• Working at night? Reduce brightness of macOS interface without sacrificing legibility or color accuracy of the front window.
• Power up the Dark Mode in macOS Mojave and reduce background contrast.
Heavy multi-tasking kills your concentration. All that tweets, emails, chat messages and lolcats staring back at you from the background. They strive for your attention. And you only have that much of it.
Don’t let yourself drown in scores of open windows. Hiding, switching, looking for the right one, more hiding, more switching. Calm down, breathe in, breathe out, launch HazeOver and finally concentrate on what’s you’ve been up to.
HazeOver automatically highlights an active window or app when you switch windows. The less important things gently fade away in the background, helping increase your productivity.
Set the hazing intensity and speed to your liking. Be it a soft dimming, an undemanding hint to focus on your workflow. Or a powerful dark background for outright dedication to your current task.
• Desktop is automatically revealed when focused (requires Accessibility)
• Toggle the shade with a keyboard shortcut or adjust intensity with a gesture.
• Dragging stuff between apps? Tap “fn” key and HazeOver will gracefully fade out.
Does HazeOver really help? Check on LifeHacker, CNET, MacWorld, Engadget and Product Hunt.
• Support for macOS Mojave and Dark Mode appearance.
• Bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
Worth every penny!
MacOSX doesn’t have window borders and modern style has lots of white space on everything, so if you have many open windows overlapping each other, it is hard to tell where one begins and where it ends. It is hard to know where to click the mouse to get the desired effect. I use Excel, Word, Outlook, Browsers, Calc, Terminal, etc… and I am frequently reading from one window while working in another, or copying/pasting. I have multiple monitors and many windows open for many hours every day. I love this app. It does just what I wanted it to do. See the pictures, they explain it. This app lets me know which app has focus without having to think about that question. It also removes the “clutter” and lets me focus on the app in the foreground.
If, on the other hand, I just used a small laptop screen for the purpose of switching between web browser, email, itunes…. this app wouldn’t be needed for much.
helps you focus, focus, focus
So great to have an app that a) works; b) does what it says it can do; and c) what it does is so helpful.
If you’re like me and you’ve got 5 apps running, and multiple documents / files open and all laying there llike a strewn deck of cards after a drunken poker game, and you’re saying “I just want to block out all that distraction, even momentarily, while I laser-like focus on this one document…” - get this. It’s a superb app, and for a pittance! And it’s NOT one of those crappy amateur apps that are more headache than solution. It sits up there in the way-top menu bar and you turn it on and off at your whim. You choose your background blockout color and even its degree of opacity. And you can bring back your chaos at will.
Thank you. You’ve made me smile with the poker analogy. The app looks simple in principle, but it was hard to make it account for corner cases in OS and some third-party apps.
It’s the small things that count
As many reviewers state, I was a bit hesitant to spend even a couple dollars on something that seems pretty mundane. I mean, what will graying out background screens really do to boost productivity & focus? Plus, most of my work is done in full screen windows anyways. As I’m working on a Keynote presentation, however, and try to toggle between that and the internet browser, I realize the gray out is in fact SUPER helpful! This app is so simple and straightforward, I don’t think there’s much else to say. The gray out keeps my eyes stay focused the window at hand while keeping others accessible for use. I have a feeling I’ll be working split screen more often now!
- Maxim Ananov
- 5.6 MB
- OS X 10.10 or later, 64-bit processor
- English, Arabic, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2007-2018 Maxim Ananov
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.