HazeOver • Distraction Dimmer
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
• 60% OFF for a limited time! Get rid of distractions and focus on your current task. HazeOver automatically highlights the front app window by dimming all background windows. ▸▸▸ Demo Video: HazeOver.com
• Spend less time managing windows. Window clutter will no longer bother you.
• Got a big screen? Then going full screen is not an option for you. HazeOver to the rescue!
• Multiple displays? HazeOver will let you know which screen is focused or highlight a window on each monitor.
• Working at night? Reduce brightness of OS X interface without sacrificing legibility or color accuracy of the front window.
• Dark menu bar and Dock mode will look soooo pleasing.
Heavy multi-tasking kills your concentration. All that tweets, emails, chat messages and lolcats staring back at you from the background. They strive for your attention. And you only have that much of it.
Don’t let yourself drown in scores of open windows. Hiding, switching, looking for the right one, more hiding, more switching. Calm down, breathe in, breathe out, launch HazeOver and finally concentrate on what’s you’ve been up to.
HazeOver automatically highlights an active window or app when you switch windows. The less important things gently fade away in the background, helping increase your productivity.
Set the hazing intensity and speed to your liking. Be it a soft dimming, an undemanding hint to focus on your workflow. Or a powerful dark background for outright dedication to your current task.
• Desktop is automatically revealed when focused (requires Accessibility)
• Toggle the shade with a keyboard shortcut or adjust intensity with a gesture.
• Dragging stuff between apps? Tap “fn” key and HazeOver will gracefully fade out.
Still unconvinced? Ask LifeHacker, CNET, MacWorld, Engadget and Product Hunt.
Discounted to $1.99 as part of TwoDollarTuesday
More great apps on sale: twodollartues.com
What's New in Version 1.7.6
• Fixed: using Mission Control could cause dimming of a full screen app.
• Fixed: too short animation when using high dimming intensity.
I didn’t know how much I needed this
My productivity has shot through the roof with such a simple app. I didn’t realize how much the background clutter of open windows distracted me. But now I can easily focus on my present task and be more present in my work, without sacrificing much at all (I can still see the background windows running if I need to, its just less distracting). I heartily recommend getting this, altought I imagine it’s usefulness is more pronounced when using a large monitor and/or dual monitors. For laptops, I don’t know how useful it would really be, since only one window at time is usually all you can see anyways.
But yeah, try it out! Low risk, high reward.
Helpful, generally intuitive app, but…
(1) it gets confused by Terminal windows, which results in multiple windows (even of other apps) to be highlighted, in addition to the true “foreground” or “focus” window being highlighted;
(2) Preferences must be selected twice from the menu bar in order to get the app's Preferences window to appear; (3) Color picker logic doesn’t work right, particularly when opening Preferences to see the previously chosen color; (4) the logic behind setting the hotkey is messed up and no apparent way to reset default hotkey is provided; (5) the button to take the user to a donations web page has no label.
Distraction abatement and vision saver
As a writer I spend extraordinary amounts of time facing two large screens. Even with frequent breaks (and of course brightness adjustments), after 6-8 hours my eyes aren’t able to stay focused with so much light pouring out from the displays.
HazeOver goes a long way toward reducing that light by dimming inactive windows, and my eyes are now the better for it. I find it also helps me maintain focus on the task at hand, rather than suffer from the ever-distracting “Look! Squirrel!” syndrome.
Highly recommended for these reasons and more.
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Feb 28, 2017
- Version: 1.7.6
- Size: 9.2 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: Maxim Ananov
- © 2007-2017 Maxim Ananov
Compatibility: OS X 10.9 or later, 64-bit processor