By Home Box Office, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Introducing HBO GO®. The streaming service from HBO that lets you enjoy your favorite HBO shows, movies, comedy specials, sports, documentaries – plus behind-the-scenes extras and more. It’s every episode of every season of the best of HBO, free with your HBO subscription —now available on iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch!
It’s HBO. Anywhere.
Free with your HBO subscription through participating television providers.
With the HBO GO App You Can:
• Keep up with your favorites. Watch everything you love about HBO, including HBO original programming, hit movies, sports, comedy and every episode of the best HBO shows, including True Blood®, Game of Thrones®, Boardwalk Empire®, Girls, Veep, The Newsroom, Curb Your Enthusiasm®,Entourage®, The Sopranos®, Sex and the City®, The Wire® and more. Plus, get bonus features and special behind-the-scenes extras!
• Take it with you: On the run or on the road, never miss a moment of your favorite HBO shows and hit movies with HBO GO on your laptop and select tablets and mobile devices.
• Make it your own: Make your HBO GO experience personal. Create a customized Watchlist and catch up on your favorite HBO shows and hit movies at your convenience. If you’re on the run, resume viewing titles from your Watchlist on your portable device including laptops and select tablets and mobile devices. Also, set a Series Pass® to automatically send new episodes of your favorite HBO shoes to your Watchlist.
• Stream the best of HBO from your favorite Apple device directly to your TV with HBO GO and AirPlay*.
• Watch new episodes of your favorite shows and hit movies simultaneously as they premiere on HBO.
HBO GO® is only accessible in the US and certain US territories. Minimum 3G connection is required for viewing on mobile devices. Some restrictions may apply. © 2013 Home Box Office, Inc. All rights reserved. HBO® and related channels and service marks are the property of Home Box Office, Inc.
*AirPlay will work for Apple devices running iOS 6 and Apple TVs running software update 5.1.1 or later.
What's New in Version 2.4.2
Minor updates and bug fixes
App is ok, service is not
Like most millennials, I don't own a TV. But like most millennials, I love HBO, and am eager to pay a reasonable amount to get access to HBO programming on my iPad. And yet HBO Go only offers HBO programming to HBO cable tv subscribers. That strikes me as a terrible business move, as well as indicating an outdated understanding of consumer preferences. The prevalence of people like me seems very good reason for HBO to make their Go app a sort of service akin to Netflix. Set that issue aside. I pay the HBO bill of my parents' TV subscription so that I can have access to HBO Go. But I have to wait till after each program is broadcast to TV before I am allowed access to it on the app, despite having paid for access to the TV broadcast. Again, that strikes me as HBO simply misunderstanding who their consumers are. On top of all that, HBO Go typically doesn't work during peak hours. So, for example, I'm currently waiting on the season 4 premiere of Game of Thrones. I paid for access to it. But here I am, over an hour and a half after it broadcast, still unable to access it because HBO Go is not setup to handle all the numerous requests to see it.
Ok but occasionally infuriating!
I both love and hate this app. It does a pretty good job, I like the watch list and the streaming video can look quite nice. That said, the problems are numerous. Sometimes it tries to stream audio-only rather than video and audio if your connection is low quality. I wonder who could possibly want this! Furthermore, sometimes the whole app will freeze or become unresponsive. The watchlist doesn't sync between the web, iPad, and iPhone versions either, and your place is only rarely saved if the show is interrupted by connection issues. Perhaps my least favorite issue is that if your iOS device locks, the app never seems to keep your video open, so you have to reopen whatever you were watching. I realize some of this stuff may be nitpicky, but I expect Netflix quality apps from HBO. Lastly, I would love to be able to download episodes of shows so I don't have to rely on sketchy LTE connections for streaming. I really hope they improves on this app, because when it works it is quite good.
Works just as expected. Has everything HBO which is amazing.
Everyone who complains about it on the Chromecast has no idea how their Chromecast works. The Chromecast loads your show separately from your phone and has its own internet signal. So if you're having buffering problems, its an issue with connectivity of your Chromecast not this app. It is loading an HD signal straight from your router, so if your wifi isn't great you may have issues. Try moving your Chromecast closer to your router or using the small HDMI extender included with the Chromecast to improve your connection.
HBOgo is the best thing to happen to me and worst thing to happen to my social life. Every series is great. If you have HBO and don't have this app/use the website, you're completely wasting your HBO subscription, this app is the real treat not the cable station.
- Category: Entertainment
- Updated: Dec 16, 2013
- Version: 2.4.2
- Size: 26.8 MB
- Languages: English, Portuguese, Spanish
- Seller: Home Box Office Inc.
- © 2013 Home Box Office, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.