Knowing your current heart rate is useful, but seeing in real time how it varies over a longer period gives you much more information, especially when trying to understand how your body is responding to a training plan. Heart Graph can be used for all types of aerobic exercise including running, cycling, rowing or gym work, and of course you can also use it to study your normal heart rate for general health reasons.
Heart Graph allows you to record new data and see your heart rate graph in real time, as well as importing existing data from Apple Health. Data from previous sessions can then be compared to give a deeper understanding of how your body is changing over time, for example by directly comparing the graphs for equivalent sessions, viewing statistics such as max, mean and resting heart rate across sessions, or seeing the proportion of time spent in different heart rate zones aggregated over weeks or months. (Note some features require a one-off In-App Purchase, as described below.)
The key FREE features of Heart Graph include:
* Display a real-time graph of heart rate against time on your iPhone or iPad
* Support for both Bluetooth sensors and Apple Watch
* No ads
* Review all your sessions offline to spot trends in your data
* Integration with Apple Health: import existing workout data and store new workouts
* Maximise the screen area for graphs on iPhone and iPod touch using landscape orientation
* Group related sessions by adding your own notes, then searching for sessions matching those notes
* Record a standard Reference Set at the start of each session to help determine how your body is really doing; if your heart rate is elevated, you may want to take it easy
* Record data in the background if you want to use other heart rate apps (Bluetooth sensors)
Beyond the basics, a single, one-off In-App Purchase will enable the Premium Features, giving you access to more in-depth analysis tools and the ability to design your training sessions in the app. These Planned Workouts split a session into small pieces, for example sets at the the gym, or intervals on a bike. When you’re exercising, Heart Graph will keep track of where you are in the session and what’s coming up next, alerting you when it’s time to stop or move on. The trigger for moving from one set to the next can be a simple time gap (“wait 30 seconds”), or be based on heart rate to allow a specific amount of recovery before continuing (“wait until heart rate is below 120bpm”). The outcome is a structured plan that adapts to how your body is responding each time you do that session.
Premium Features of Heart Graph include:
* View and analyse the time spent in each of five configurable heart rate zones
* Add annotations to the graph during recording to help identify key events
* Heart rate alarms when your heart rate goes above or below configurable thresholds, or changes zone
* Import data from the Health app for custom time periods of up to 24 hours
* Directly compare graphs for equivalent sessions
* Compare statistics (such as max, mean and resting heart rate) across sessions
* Calculate calories burned, and set a calorie target for each session
* Record a session to explicitly measure resting heart rate while you relax
* Audio rep counting so you never lose count - make a noise every time you complete a rep and the app keeps track of how many you’ve done
* Import and export heart rate data from other apps or your computer using Garmin TCX format files
* Export data to CSV files for further analysis in software such as Excel (by email or Dropbox)
IMPORTANT NOTE: use of Heart Graph requires an external sensor to record heart rate data, for example:
* A low-energy bluetooth (BTLE) sensor such as the Wahoo Tickr / Polar H10 chest straps, or the Mio Alpha watch
* An Apple Watch or other source that writes heart rate data to the Health app
* An ANT+ sensor connected using the Wahoo Fitness ANT+ key
- Support for new iPads
- Minor bug fixes and enhancements
We're listening! If you experience a problem with the app, please contact us via our website.
Ratings and Reviews
Review my heart rate after every run!
I’ve been using the heart rate app for a few years and like to see how I have to work harder now to sustain a higher heart rate. My goal is to train 20% of the time at an intense level and it’s easy to see if I need to back off or push harder. I like being able to adjust my zones because I have an exceptionally high maximum heart rate and standard zones based on age don’t apply. I also like to check my recovery time by making a time based chart that I can easily delete. I always make notes about my run and then do a copy paste of the notes into my calendar. If you’re a data junkie this is a great app.
I wish there was a way to combine it with a pace and elevation chart. Someday.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for sharing your experience - it's stories like this that motivate us to keep improving Heart Graph! Regarding your request to combine pace and elevation, you might find the Garmin TCX export useful to combine the heart rate data from Heart Graph with the pace/elevation data from another app.
Life changing, and easy to use
I purchased the paid version and have been using it for three years now. Everything I need is available any simple to use in her face. For example I can see my heart rate sent from my Apple Watch and it’s classified I work out. For example one might say cycle or it might say strength training or it might say yoga. If I don’t like the default name I can change it. I can compare my heart rate graph between several workouts. I can see the detailed graph for one workout and also look at the time spent in each HR zone. I can use default settings or customize my HR zones. Seeing this data is valuable.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for describing how you use the app - it's great to hear which parts of the app different customers use!
I am 83 years old, exercise reqularily, primarily doing a 45 minute tread mill always with the intention to get my heart rate up above 120 bpm as my heart doctor has recommended this. The heart graft allows me to view the results daily as well as show my Dr. how I am doing. This keeps me on tract and informed. This exercise routine also keeps my weight down and I am aware of calories burned, this additional info shows up on my I watch upon completing my exercise routine daily Kenneth
- Smoky Cat Software Ltd.
- 41.9 MB
- Health & Fitness
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2018 Smoky Cat Software Ltd.
- In-App Purchases
- Premium Features $2.99
- Support Ad-Free Software $0.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.