By Zev Clementson
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The Hebrew Bible iPhone application is designed for reading/studying the Hebrew Bible in either Hebrew, Aramaic (Torah only), or in a parallel translation format combining Hebrew and another language (at present, either English or French). It is also useful as a tool for improving one's knowledge of Biblical Hebrew and Biblical Aramaic. It is comprised of five main components:
1. Bible: The Hebrew Bible is accessible in several different versions (a default version is selected via iPhone preferences and it is possible to change versions while running the application as well). The first six versions listed below are included in the App, the other versions can be either accessed over the Internet or downloaded (at no additional charge). The versions that are available are:
* Hebrew (cantillation)
* Hebrew (vowels)
* Hebrew (no vowels)
* Hebrew/English (cantillation)
* Hebrew/English (vowels)
* Hebrew/English (no vowels)
* Hebrew Torah (commentary)
* Aramaic Torah (vowels)
* Aramaic Torah (no vowels)
When reading a book or chapter (regardless of the version selected), it is also possible to listen to the Hebrew version of the selected book/chapter being read by pressing the "Play" button at the top of the page. The audio readings are pronounced in Sephardi-style Hebrew. In additon to a "Book"-based reading approach, it is possible to also toggle to a "Parashah"-based approach (a Parashah is the weekly synagogue Torah/Haftarah reading). Both Ashkenazi and Sephardi Parashah readings are supported. While reading the Hebrew and Hebrew/English versions, if you touch any Hebrew word, you will be presented with a pop-up English definition. From the popup, it is also possible to display a list of all the verses in the Hebrew Bible that contain that word.
2. Words: This is useful for learning more about specific Hebrew words and for discovering related words. One can lookup words by "Root" by selecting the first two letters of the Hebrew word root. A listing will be displayed of all Hebrew words (and, optionally, Aramaic words and/or proper names) that begin with those two letters. Once the list is displayed, touching a word will open up a further level of detail about the selected word (and, optionally, all verses that contain that word or the BDB page for that word). Alternatively, one can use the "Translate" function to translate words or sentences or go directly to the word detail via the "Strongs" number lookup function. There is also a word search facility.
3. Topics: There are links to key topics (over 200 people/places/things) in the Wikipedia online encyclopedia. One can access topics by Bible book, by "Meta" topics, and a consolidated list of all topics.
4. Maps: There are maps of almost every location (over 1,000 locations) mentioned in the Hebrew Bible. It is possible to display multiple different locations on a map and to clear previously selected locations from a map. One can access Maps by Bible book or a consolidated list of all maps. By selecting a location on the map and touching the "callout detail disclosure" symbol (the "right arrow"), one can see a listing of all verses in the Hebrew Bible that mention that location.
5. BDB: The Brown–Driver–Briggs Hebrew Lexicon is probably the most commonly used Biblical Hebrew Lexicon. A complete copy of this lexicon is accessible from within the application. In additon, individual pages can be displayed via the word lookup functionality.
An Internet connection is required in order to use some content in this application but most core functionality is maintained locally.
What's New in Version 8.1
Still worth it!
This is the best app you could buy for studying and learning the Masoretic Hebrew Scriptures, easily readable and configurable texts, excellent satellite pin map of locations, quick on hand Strongs definitions of and Hebrew word you tap, and even an audio reading per chapter, and customer support is excellent!
- I have had this app crash twice now and it will not open whether I reinstall it or cache it (which worked last time to cache it from iPhone settings)... Which is really really lame because it's such a great app I use it on a hourly basis...
- It changed it layout from a studious old style layout to a kinda lame bubbly iOS layout about a year ago..
- The audio cannot play when the phone is locked like various audio bible apps..
- The audio cannot pause as displayed, and shows a playback error message when tampered with..
- Does not receive updates/crash fixes often
The Bible text doesn't appear in the app :(
I was so excited about finding this Bible base on the codex it says. Unfortunately the Bible text that shows in the screen shot never appear in the app and the Bible pages are all blank white space with audio playback instead.
Where is the text! $9.99 for blank pages!?!?!?!?
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Dec 03, 2014
- Version: 8.1
- Size: 25.5 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Zev Clementson
- © Clementson Consulting
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.