Highland 2 is a better way to write.
We’ve taken the tools we built for writing screenplays and made them work for almost every kind of document you write. From novels to blog posts and school reports, Highland’s clean design and innovative tools help you focus on words, not formatting.
“Highland is just a cleaner, purer way to be creative. My mind is calmer and less cluttered when I use it because I can write prose so easily and jump to dialogue when that’s more intuitive.” — Phil Lord, Writer/Director of The Lego Movie, 21 & 22 Jump Street
"You won't find a better app for getting your writing done than Highland 2." — Jeffery Battersby, iMore
. . . . . . . . F O C U S . . . . . . . .
More Power. Less Distraction.
Highland handles formatting automatically, so you can spend your time finding the perfect word, not the right menu command.
You’ll love working in an editor designed for writing, not mimicking a printed page.
When you want to see the layout, quickly toggle between your text and a preview of the finished document.
With one click, Highland turns your words into a perfectly-formatted document ready to print or export.
. . . . . . . . F E A T U R E S . . . . . . . .
Created by screenwriter and novelist John August, Highland 2 is built by writers, for writers.
- The Navigator. (NEW!) Get an overview of what you’ve written -- and what’s left to write.
- Templates. (NEW!) Switch between Highland’s 10 PDF templates including Screenplay, Multi-Cam and Manuscript.
- The Bin. (NEW!) A magical shelf to hold little bits of text you want to keep handy.
- Scratchpad. (NEW!) Keep information or notes outside the document. A great place to store information and instructions for a writing partner or an editor.
- Assets. (NEW!) A handy list of all the images and files imported into your document.
- Themes. (NEW!) Go beyond Dark Mode, with 10 unique themes in a range of styles to suit any mood.
- Sprints and Goals. (NEW!) Get more written with focused writing sessions.
- Full screen mode. The ultimate distraction-free screenwriting experience.
- In-line notes and synopses. Keep your notes right where you need them.
- Syntax highlighting. Highland denotes sections, synopses, notes, and formatting beautifully.
- Cheat sheets. Forget how to center something? The answer is a glance away.
. . . . . . . . S C R E E N W R I T E R S . . . . . . . .
- Live Margins. (NEW!) No more tabs. Characters, Parentheticals and Dialogue indent as you type.
- Multi-Cam, Treatment and Comic Book. (NEW!) Templates for things beyond screenplays.
- Character Highlighting. (NEW!) Works in both the Editor and export.
- Gender Analysis. (NEW!) Check the male/female balance in your screenplay.
- Smart Sections. Organize your script by acts and sequences, not scene headers.
- Best-in-class PDF Melting. Screenplay PDFs are no longer frozen in carbonite. This was Highland’s breakout feature, and remains unmatched.
. . . . . . . . A D V A N T A G E S . . . . . . . .
Highland is built for today, and the future.
- Speed. From scrolling to previews, Highland is blisteringly fast, using the latest Apple technologies.
- Great typography. Highland features exceptional typography right out of the box. Writers shouldn’t have to look at ugly fonts.
- Standards-leading. Created by the same team that helped forge the Fountain standard, Highland speaks Fountain and Markdown fluently.
- Compatible. Highland is perfect for moving files between Fountain, Final Draft, and PDF formats.
. . . . . . . . S U P P O R T . . . . . . . .
Our in-app “Welcome to Highland” can walk you through many features.
We also have an extensive FAQ, available both in-app and online:
Send Feedback directly from the Help menu, or reach us online by email at email@example.com, or on Twitter @qapps
[fix] Scene Headers in the Navigator (sorry about that!)
Ratings and Reviews
dark mode please
I really love all the features but the lack of dark mode makes it hard to use.
Super slow typing.
I tried to find support for this online but I was unable to. The typing feature runs incredibly slow. At first it types at normal speeds but after 10-15 minutes it becomes delayed. I have updated the app, updated my computer, tried various other solutions and nothing has worked. Is there another writing app that types at the speed that you are typing at? It is beyond frustrating and makes the writing process 10x harder.
Amazing App, but iPhone App Needed Yesterday!
This app is so fantastic, I chose not to dock stars for the sake of emphasizing the signficance of these requests. I hope it's given equivalent attention nonetheless.
Highland needs to be part of a cross-device iOS workflow that works with documents in the cloud. I start writing on the computer, pick up where I left off on the phone. Other much worse, much less intuitive apps have this capability, and Highland seems tailor-made for this more than any other app I've seen. When this comes, no other screenwriting software will be able to comete.
One other thing that would really improve my workflow in an enormous way. The outline on the left should be drag-and-drop enabled. Nothing would help me more than to be able to re-order scenes without copying and pasting. The metadata is there to support this—the app knows the scenes, so the text below the scene can easily be moved with the scene heading. I imagine the reason for not having this feature is more of an ideological one than a technical one—but for those writers who disagree with the ideology, the ability would be greatly valued. Even if were a setting disabled by default: "Enable Drag and Drop", those who desire it will find it, and the functionality would be enormously appreciated. I want my screenplay to be as maluable as a corkboard outline, and drag and drop would be a major step to that (being able to view the outline as cards would also be great, but drag-and dropping would be enough to fill this hole for the time being).
Thanks guys for all your hard work, looking forward to what the future holds (and ignore the price haters, this is pro software at amateur prices, you could charge $50 a year for all I care as long as you keep delivering the goods).
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.