Highland 2 is a better way to write.
We’ve taken the tools we built for writing screenplays and made them work for almost every kind of document you write. From novels to blog posts and school reports, Highland’s clean design and innovative tools help you focus on words, not formatting.
“Highland is just a cleaner, purer way to be creative. My mind is calmer and less cluttered when I use it because I can write prose so easily and jump to dialogue when that’s more intuitive.” — Phil Lord, Writer/Director of The Lego Movie, 21 & 22 Jump Street
"You won't find a better app for getting your writing done than Highland 2." — Jeffery Battersby, iMore
. . . . . . . . F O C U S . . . . . . . .
More Power. Less Distraction.
Highland handles formatting automatically, so you can spend your time finding the perfect word, not the right menu command.
You’ll love working in an editor designed for writing, not mimicking a printed page.
When you want to see the layout, quickly toggle between your text and a preview of the finished document.
With one click, Highland turns your words into a perfectly-formatted document ready to print or export.
. . . . . . . . F E A T U R E S . . . . . . . .
Created by screenwriter and novelist John August, Highland 2 is built by writers, for writers.
- The Navigator. (NEW!) Get an overview of what you’ve written -- and what’s left to write.
- Templates. (NEW!) Switch between Highland’s 10 PDF templates including Screenplay, Multi-Cam and Manuscript.
- The Bin. (NEW!) A magical shelf to hold little bits of text you want to keep handy.
- Scratchpad. (NEW!) Keep information or notes outside the document. A great place to store information and instructions for a writing partner or an editor.
- Assets. (NEW!) A handy list of all the images and files imported into your document.
- Themes. (NEW!) Go beyond Dark Mode, with 10 unique themes in a range of styles to suit any mood.
- Sprints and Goals. (NEW!) Get more written with focused writing sessions.
- Full screen mode. The ultimate distraction-free screenwriting experience.
- In-line notes and synopses. Keep your notes right where you need them.
- Syntax highlighting. Highland denotes sections, synopses, notes, and formatting beautifully.
- Cheat sheets. Forget how to center something? The answer is a glance away.
. . . . . . . . S C R E E N W R I T E R S . . . . . . . .
- Live Margins. (NEW!) No more tabs. Characters, Parentheticals and Dialogue indent as you type.
- Multi-Cam, Treatment and Comic Book. (NEW!) Templates for things beyond screenplays.
- Character Highlighting. (NEW!) Works in both the Editor and export.
- Gender Analysis. (NEW!) Check the male/female balance in your screenplay.
- Smart Sections. Organize your script by acts and sequences, not scene headers.
- Best-in-class PDF Melting. Screenplay PDFs are no longer frozen in carbonite. This was Highland’s breakout feature, and remains unmatched.
. . . . . . . . A D V A N T A G E S . . . . . . . .
Highland is built for today, and the future.
- Speed. From scrolling to previews, Highland is blisteringly fast, using the latest Apple technologies.
- Great typography. Highland features exceptional typography right out of the box. Writers shouldn’t have to look at ugly fonts.
- Standards-leading. Created by the same team that helped forge the Fountain standard, Highland speaks Fountain and Markdown fluently.
- Compatible. Highland is perfect for moving files between Fountain, Final Draft, and PDF formats.
. . . . . . . . S U P P O R T . . . . . . . .
Our in-app “Welcome to Highland” can walk you through many features.
We also have an extensive FAQ, available both in-app and online:
Send Feedback directly from the Help menu, or reach us online by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or on Twitter @qapps
[fix] Scene Headers in the Navigator (sorry about that!)
Ratings and Reviews
An app FOR screenwriters that’s made BY screenwriters!
I’ve been using Highland since it came out and was a beta tester for Highland 2. I don’t know where I’d be without it. I write on a fast-paced TV show, and Highland (and Highland 2 beta) has been a large part of why I’m able to keep up. While it doesn’t have all the (sometimes unnecessary) features of something like Final Draft, I MUCH prefer writing in Highland. It’s more intuitive than the other screenwriting apps I’ve used, and I write with more ease and speed because it has a slick, clear, easy-to-use interface. You don’t have think or worry about formatting — you can just write! The app itself is beautiful and a pleasure to work in. I always get a little burst of excitement every time open it.
Highland 2 is designed by John August (and his team). John is a prolific screenwriter who’s worked in Hollywood for years on many high-profile projects. He knows firsthand how writers think and work, and Highland 2 clearly benefits from his expertise. He and his team are also continually providing new and useful updates.
While Final Draft is still an industry standard on many productions, it’s clunky, glitchy, and slow to improve/update. If you’re a screenwriter, you can’t go wrong having Highland 2 in your arsenal of screenwriting tools. If you’re a new screenwriter, START HERE! If you’re a veteran writer and have been writing in another app, give this one a shot. You’ll be glad you did!
Favorite writing app
I've been fortunate enough to have been part of the beta program for this app so I've had the luxury of using it for the better part of a year before this release and seeing many of the iterations it went through before reaching this point. I've used many other text, markdown, and screenwriting apps (including that overly expensive bloatware "industry standard" app - you know which one I'm talking about) and this quickly became my go to app for screenwriting and article/story writing. I love the simplicity and minimalism of it, especially in full-screen. I had the original Highland and really enjoyed that but this upgrade is such a dramatic improvement over the prior version that they feel more like different apps than different versions of the same app. Well worth the cost and it's not subscription based (which is a HUGE selling point for me).
The no-contest best writing app.
I was an early adopter of Highland (v1), and it quickly became my exclusive software for screenwriting. I was also able to jump on the beta for Highland 2, curious how such an exquisite tool could be improved upon without ruining the simplicity that I loved so much. Well, guys, they did it. Highland 2 is not only everything I want in a screenwriting app, it’s everything I want in a WRITING app. I’ve found myself using it for fiction, blogging, journaling, and even agendas for meetings. I no longer want to use anything else for drafting anything. Because I don’t need to.
If you’re a screenwriter, you can’t NOT have this software. It IS the new industry standard. And if you’re a writer of anything else, I would bet money this is a better solution than whatever other thing you might be using.
Buy this app. Give them your money. They’ve earned it.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.